don't click here

General Project Thread & Feedback

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by steveswede, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Draw a better Sonic. Go on, I dare you.

Vincent, does Sonic have more shades than the 'UBER' ones we saw you making a while ago? The screenshots show a more airbrushed Sonic, which I like a lot.

2. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Wow. Yeah. Go review the original art archives and then tell us that.

3. Shwazoom

Shwazoom

^^^TIME STONE^^^
    Middle of Iowa
    Sonic Walkthroughs & Playthroughs on YouTube
    I think that the art, levels, etc. all look beautiful. Sonic looks pretty damn good, probably the best sonic I've seen in a game.

Yup, everything looks gorgeous and I think some people are just mad because it wasn't the alpha release. Once it comes out all will be forgotten and they will say "HOLY SHIT! AWESOME GAME!!!!!"

4. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Would you really want me to just dump a ton in one post? :v:

5. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
  6. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    Well, some comments are okay, like "GameBuddy - Voices? I got 'em" or whoever that is. I do agree with one person and would love to have that logo on a black t-shirt. That'll be bitching.

I'd hate to see Destructoid's approach to this...XD

7. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Ya know nothing has changed with submissions from the last big announcement. Read all of Canned Karma's post and it will answer your questions. (This post by CK really should be in the important topics section).

8. Perhaps it's because art has never been something that I have a keen eye for, but I think the game looks brilliant. Maybe I'm missing something, but I like what I'm seeing so far.

9. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Yes, the art is more than 10x better now than when we last saw it.

And thank you for not keeping that old glossy egg-ship. Dunno who made it, but it didn't look metallic.

10. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    ...Thank you for your criticsm, but it looked much more metallic like than this glossy-like thing.

"Dunno who made it", asshole.

11. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sorry. I wasn't thinking then. I shouldn't have said anything.
    I didn't actually mean it as offensively as that.

12. Kirinja

Kirinja

ATATATATA! Member
    Are you trying to stir up trouble?

On topic: It sucks that the alpha got delayed but in the end there is nothing we can do to change it. From what I saw it looks nice, hopefully it will play as nicely as it looks.

13. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Sorry taken. don't worry. Its ok, I know it wasnt chromish enough...
    But that wasnt my goal, since the original one isnt chrome-coated.

Nope.

14. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    What have we learned from Sega, everyone?

"Rushing = bad."

Yes, there's frustration that it's been two years since the proof of concept and it's only just nearing a first Alpha release. There's also frustration in how the countdown was handled.

If you like what you see, cool. I'm sure that'll give the team a nice boost in confidence, and despite some rather obnoxious pessimism within these boards and this topic, reaction from the wider web has been rather positive.

If you don't, that's cool too. The community part here is where you talk about what you don't like and explain why without insulting the team. As CK said, contributions are more than welcome still if you wish to do so, but the team expects you to follow the guidelines for submission. Understandable since the game should at least have some uniformity in look, not a mish-mash that actually WILL make it look like a shoddy flash game.

Perhaps things will move at a more brisk pace now. Perhaps not. The only thing that should be done is to continue being patient.

A nugget of joy.

15. NAC

NAC

Operation Neptune 2011
    concerning Canned Karma's post addressing the openness of the project <http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?s=&showtopic=10111&view=findpost&p=426208>, this means that the community should suggest and create art/concepts, etc., but just wait to see if it's accepted into the game without expecting a concrete "yes" or "no" after a certain period of time?... I'm not trying to come off as facetious; that's just how it sounds and how it seems to have been as far, for the most part.

16. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    I'm under the impression that we, as community members, can submit concepts and even actual art, but the staff will take it and improve it until it is up to S2HD art standards and fits the chosen art style properly.

I have no problem with this. As a matter of fact, I actually like the concept of the closed community project. It keeps the bitching to a minimum. However, I do agree with many others in that it should be less closed than it is now. I mean, we really have no idea what you guys are up to. Personally, when the change was first made, it made me feel like I wasn't welcome to work on the project anymore. The announcement that outlined the changes when the project went "closed community" said we were still welcome, but actions speak louder than words and all that.

Just as an idea, a read-only forum for non-staff members could be easily added to show us what's happening, at least. That would eliminate the bickering, and we wouldn't feel so alienated. Actually, why have we been kept completely in the dark with the progress of the staff's art? Have you folks just wanted to surprise everyone with something really impressive at each release? I mean, if that's the case, then I suppose my idea isn't worth much, as little as I like that school of though.

However, I did not say how much I enjoyed the game footage so far with my last post. Excellent job, S2HD staff, it looks great! My complaining aside, you folks get good results.

17. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    I'd like this. Depending on how often we'd get updates. But, I'm pretty satisfied right now, and the alpha release will be my icing. :)

18. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I had no idea there was a countdown at all...or anything. I just strolled in here, saw talk of a trailer and promptly watched said trailer.

And I liked it. Looked good. Loved the remix of the special stage theme. Good stuff, looking forward to seeing more!

19. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    How about something akin to Devroom on Capcom-Unity?

With Legends 3, a member of the game staff usually does a report about what's going on in the form of a weekly blog post. She also teases upcoming opportunities for fans to get involved.

I don't see this as a bad idea, now that Karma can create front page posts.

20. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Alternatively (or in addition), they could do something like this:

<a href="http://gs_server.gerbilsoft.ddns.info/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=gens-gs-ii.git;a=summary" target="_blank">http://gs_server.gerbilsoft.ddns.info/cgi-...I.git;a=summary</a>

Public access to the version control system detailing every change made. (It's probably a long shot for S2HD, but it has to be mentioned anyway.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.