don't click here

General Project Thread & Feedback

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by steveswede, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SANiK

SANiK

Tech Member
    Most of the negative comments are from people who hate 2D anyways, the type that rather play CoD or Halo, whilst bitching about how SMB1 or Sonic1 are uncool. If the thought of S2HD makes you happy, why care what others think?

2. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    Geez, that article and comments were just a total pain to read. I'd hate to see the other sites' responses, but...I will anyway. Damn curiosity. And they say we're hard to please. Sheesh. >.>

3. Otama Sanshiro

Otama Sanshiro

~Phantom of Blue~ Member
    I'm obviously late, I don't know which I'm more hyped for: footage of S2HD alpha or the best Tweaker tantrums I've ever read on these forums. Nice that you resolved it, but the book is written, and I'd buy it. No joke.

Also, a question to the S2HD staff, are the people in the project also do PR, or do you have separate people for the job?

4. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    I handle the project management, the public relations, the writing, and the 3D modeling. Yes, that means I've got a gigantic target on me at all times for a number of reasons. I've said before that I'd like for people to PM me directly with concerns, and that hasn't changed. I will respond personally if it's something I can take care of, but know that it could take a day for me to get an answer from the appropriate person on staff if it's not something I know off the top of my head.

5. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    One question though, since it's clearly not really a community project anymore, why not simply go ahead and cut this forum and start discussing it as a regular project? That would ease a lot of the expectations right there, and it's not like anything is lost since the group is clearly capable of organizing itself outside the context of Retro.

6. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    That's being negotiated right now. Stay tuned.

7. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member

Good god, it's like reading youtube comments.

8. zemulii

zemulii

I wonder why I read comments sometimes. It's like I want to be offended by their stupidity :S.

9. Maybe you are a masochist. :D

10. zemulii

zemulii

Haha, oh dear. Maybe I am :(.

Ugh... Why the HELL do people keep comparing it to flash movies??? I honestly think some people must be partially blind.

11. Shwazoom

Shwazoom

^^^TIME STONE^^^
    Middle of Iowa
    Sonic Walkthroughs & Playthroughs on YouTube
    So is this going to be turning into YouTube comments Retro Style?

12. Compsense

Compsense

NC, USA
    some dance album or summat
    Just wanted to jump in here. I was there the moment the timer ran out, and probably F5'd more than was necessary. Naturally, I was fairly disappointed by the lack of an alpha release. I'd been looking quite forward to this since the time the counter began. It's kind of alright, though, only because of how awesome this game looks. The trailer in 1080p full screen is so beautiful, I only wish there was more than 11 seconds to watch! And everything, it looks so .. so professional! I was blown away by what you guys had to show in that teaser trailer. Even the logo's animation, man. That's pretty sweet.

At my leisure I've been looking closely at the screenshots, seeing just what I like about them. The more I look at the screenies, the more I love the updates you guys have made. The ultimate design for the rings, those little details you added to just about everything, the redrawn background elements, it all looks awesome. I mean, just look at it; everything's gorgeous.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Given all the drama, I sort of feel in the minority at the moment, but who cares. I can't wait to get ahold of this game.

13. zemulii

zemulii

No I don't believe that you are in the minority. In fact I think most people, myself included, think it is absolutely beautiful. For me though, my reaction would have likely been the same, alpha release or not. Because honestly, I couldn't care less when the alpha release comes out. It's not that important to me.

I don't even really care about playing the game at all (though I will of course). For me the appeal has always been in the project itself. Following the development process. Watching it evolve and taking part where I can. But it was seeing how much everything had changed in this "reveal", and that I and everyone else had practically NO knowledge of any of this until now that made me realise just to what extent this project has become closed off from the community. It's no longer something I can be a part of. It's no longer something I can watch with interest and learn from. What's to separate it from any commercial project now? For me, it has become boring - and it's a real shame.

(but I do love the art ;))

14. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    I won't even pretend to understand how people are comparing what they see in the trailer to a flash game, or even that it's no different than an upscaled emulator version. Maybe it's because the method we've used in the past has involved using vector art to create clean imagery in a cartoon-like style. But throwing what's been presented in with the rest of the flash material out there isn't just ignorant, it's stupid. Every digitally created work has its own unique feel, and S2HD's art style is a clear example of that.

Compsense: believe it or not, that's what we were wanting to provide from all this.

Prepare to see more things in the character area very soon that will elaborate on it!

15. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    Canned Karma:

Out of curiosity, given the current closed-off state of the project, what can we, as individual community members, still do to contribute?

16. zemulii

zemulii

At this point I think we just have to wait until an announcement is made. They're obviously working something out.

17. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    Those Joystiq comments are indeed full of morons, especially that idiot talking shit about the project. (And 'lo and behold bashing furries in the same breath. He clearly has no idea what he's talking about.) I think that, given the recent development with Sonic 4 and SEGA's attempts at throwbacks, something like this is more necessary than ever.

I can't wait to see more announcements on the project, the art is amazing and I wish painfully that the sprites would be published but that's wishful thinking for perfectly understandable reasons.

18. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Just want to say that I think it's awesome that the art style chosen now is that sort of old 1990's watercolour art stuff sega made back in the day, I prefer it so much more then just direct resized art, it works really well also, true classic sonic stuff :P

19. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
  20. Steven M

Steven M

Somehow when Joystiq refers to Flash games, I don't think they're referring specifically to Sonic fangames made in Flash (great job cherrypicking examples there, by the way). I think they're referring to Flash games in general, which conjures up images of websites like FreeFlashGames or Kongregate, with dollar-budget knock-offs of other games with plasticky textureless overly-gradiented soulless graphics and tinny FruityLoops music.

Which in my opinion fits Sonic 2 HD to a tee. That 90's artstyle you're going for, fellas? Not exactly doing a good job on that, especially after 2 years trying if I understand this right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.