don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Xenowhirl

Xenowhirl

Tech Member
    I haven't settled on a control scheme yet. For single-player controls, I was going to try having each button A/B/C make a different character jump and also switch them to the lead, and the other 2 characters become AI controlled. I don't know anything yet about how to add Team Player peripheral support but it's something I'll try to do also.

Yes, they do. It doesn't sound weird in the same way but it's close enough.

I thought it would be funny for him to look like Mini-Sonic from SCD, but those sprites were very simple and I'm not so great at sprite art so I don't know what kind of extra detail you're thinking he should have. I can tell it doesn't look the best, but I don't know what to do about it, plus he's not supposed to be the focus.

As I said I just started so I haven't resolved the VRAM issue yet, but it's obviously possible. At a minimum I could stuff a character in the invincibility effects and change how invincibility looks, and there are more advanced methods to try. I think there is room in VRAM for 4 characters but the scanline pixel limit is getting pushed enough with 3 characters as it is.

It seemed quiet around here; I wasn't expecting so many responses. Maybe I should have made new threads instead. Separate sprite pieces was the method I went with. I almost made the socks yellow, would have been so much easier, but I didn't want to miss something that was working in Sonic 2 & Knuckles. Speaking of which, special stages will be hell, but they work out as far as palette and VRAM.

2. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    As far as Sonic's sprites, mayhaps something like outlines in the same style as YI graphics? Something like..
    [​IMG]

3. Answers in Bold.

4. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    I was going to suggest using select to switch between two characters (like Donkey Kong Country) but then I remembered there is no select button on the Genesis controller. :P

Pressing "C" might work best, IMO. I never press that button myself.

Also, I really can't wait to try out the Yoshi's Island hack! One of the best platformers of all time and that's because it has such awesome controls!

5. I, on the other hand, have always used C when playing Sonic.

6. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Does Team Player support 6-button control pads? If so, the mode button could be used to change character.

7. Banoon

Banoon

yes Member
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Yeth (hack)
    I don't really care about the whole 2D Heroes thing, but I don't think I've ever been as excited for a hack as I am for Yoshi in Sonic 2. And that screenshot with the Fuzzies... wow.

8. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    A port of Yoshi's Island would be all the more amazing. As cool as it is, just playing the same old Sonic games, even with new layouts and the like, is just still Sonic. This looks like it has potential to be much much more :D

9. Banoon

Banoon

yes Member
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Yeth (hack)
    Then it would just be Yoshi's Island with Sonic instead of Mario...

10. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Yeah, but Yoshi's Island on the Genesis! :P Instead of just...a Sonic game with Yoshi. The art styles clash so much it just doesn't really fit right now. But then again I guess it's just for the novelty like any idea.

Seeing the engine being reworked for the Yoshi character though just makes me think about how all hacks have stayed within the realms of Sonic. I wonder if someday anyone's going to build up a different game off of Sonic. I remember someone here trying to turn Sonic 2 into a Megaman game before. Stuff like that intrigues me, that's all :)

11. Xenowhirl

Xenowhirl

Tech Member
    There are 3 buttons and there are 3 characters. I don't see how that's confusing. It seems intuitive to match them up. Plus there are advantages to this way over a single switch button: you can make multiple characters jump at the same time instead of having to jump, then switch, then jump... and you can instantly choose which character to use instead of having to cycle once or twice and then take action, so it becomes faster-paced. So I'm still going to try it. But, there will be multiple control schemes in the options screen.

12. Aren't the other characters CPU's? Wouldn't they just follow you?

Also I have a few suggestions: Tails being able to pick up the characters and fly them, and if Knuckles climbs a wall, the characters grab hold of him while he climbs so they go with him too!

13. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    [​IMG]

My friend here says hi! :v:

A, B, C = Jump for Sonic, Tails, Knuckles respectively
    X = All jump
    Y = Formation Change Left
    Z = Formation Change Right

...Or whatever controls feel right.

14. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Oh and maybe Sonic could grab a character and run with them so as to better position CPU controlled co op characters and negate having to wait for a character to arrive back on screen during important areas. This isn't something that precisely has to be in this project per se though, I like the idea of giving Sonic his own co op move in any project.

15. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    As far as controls go, you could always do it like The Lost Vikings.

With the six button controller it uses X and Z to choose between characters - X goes one way, Z goes the other.

With the three button controller, you hold start and press left and right. Tapping start causes it to pause (well... go into item switcing mode which is initiated with Y on the six-button setup).

16. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    I think with having 3 characters on screen the AI needs to be handled like DKC. IIRC that means mimicking the leaders actions exactly. Even if the leader bounces on an enemy the followers will bounce on the air accordingly to stay in rhythm. In DKC2 even when Dixie Kong hovered in the air, Diddy would just float right behind her though you could probably put in the effort to have the characters grab on to each other if you want. This seems, to me, to be the best way to keep the characters together at all times.

17. Nicogens

Nicogens

Don't. Member
    Argentina
    Sonic Overhauled (lmao)
  18. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    When saw a pic of this art before I thought you drew it. Anyways this looks really good, in away it feels like a new level, and seems simular to carnival night zone.

19. Nicogens

Nicogens

Don't. Member
    Argentina
    Sonic Overhauled (lmao)
    Well, the level art is based in my old level art:
    [​IMG]
    Estlib make it look like this:
    [​IMG]

20. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    Ah! I see, kinda like a revamp of it. Anyways like it alot!