don't click here

Sonic Classic Collection

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    Am I the only who notices that some editing of some kind has happened here to Sonic 2? You select the character in the options screen so why is the option of Sonic & Tails/Sonic here on the title screen? Also the credit to Sega at the bottom has definetly been moved over to fit the screen size.

2. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    As I understood it, jEnesisDS couldn't do proper scaling because it used hardware acceleration to emulate the Genesis. Traditional scaling, like you saw in nesDS, was possible because emulator output was rendered to a single DS layer, and hardware scaling could be used from there. jEnesisDS used all four DS layers (one for each Genesis layer), and hardware scaling is only supported on two of them.

This could still technically be jEnesisDS, but with a better renderer, I guess.

3. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    (It was pointed out long ago, there is no 2P on Sonic 3 either).

Also, got a clearer shot:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Compare again! Sonic's nose base is destroyied in JenesisDS but perfect in SCC.

=D

No. Both screens (JenesisDS and SCC) are using the same vertical scaling method (ignoring some lines) but JenesisDS couldn't do it well to Sprites (it ignored complete 8x8 sometimes) now it's all fine.

4. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    It seems sega edited their roms a tad too, good examples are the new character choices for sonic 2 instead of 2p and options. The emulator scaling might have been improved but don't forget sega might have done a few dirty adjustments to the game itself to get around a few problems, like the hud ingame and sonic 2/3 front end ingame menus.

Someone around here will rip the games out of the collection anyway and then more will be discovered over time.

For what I can see from those photos the collection version crops the edges while the old jenesisDS emulator squeezes it all in the best it can, so since sega are cropping the edges and a little from the top and bottom they have less to scale down.

5. The screens are pretty much showing me exactly what I expected of this game: some emulated (and apparently edited) ROMs of the old games. Regardless, I'm gonna buy this if the emulation is up to scratch: I certainly would not mind having all the mainline Megadrive titles to play on the go, especially considering the lockon functioality is in there. The cropping is a bit disappointing but it probably won't overly affect gameplay (although I wonder how much it'll affect the Robotnik fight in Mushroom Hill).

6. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Nope, SCC screens crop only from the left and right edges and scales the screen vertically, as JenesisDS did.

Download JenesisDS and see for yourself.

7. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Yes, most likely because the sprite layers are the ones the DS cannot scale in hardware (so they have to be scaled via other software hacks). From the workingdesign.de front page:

8. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
    So from what we can gather, while the game's been scaled down, it's gonna look less like crap than it would on JenesisDS. But also, it's going to include the full S3&K. Cos' if this IS the case, then my money will be on this without question.

9. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Wow, so SEGA actually took the effort to make everything look a bit more presentable? I have to give them some credit then, that actually surprises me. Huh.

10. Granville

Granville

US
    Only 2/3 right. How do you figure it looks better than JenesisDS? As it is, it looks the same with the scaling on. JenesisDS has an option to turn that off and just play with a smaller view distance (like the game should have been made). Also, there are reports of some annoying slowdown from an "older build". JenesisDS has no slowdown for any of these games in the latest version. Other comments are right.

11. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    It'd be nice if this collection had an option to toggle between that and what we've seen in the screens. Pac-Man on the Game Boy had a similar option.

12. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    Am I the only one who absolutely loves the PSG-only music in the DC Smash Pack?

13. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Err...

14. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    The top of "Sonic" has been cut off.

I think the same has been done with the "L"s in the Title Cards (so it looks like an I instead of and L).

15. Granville

Granville

US
    @Master Emerald-

Still moot point considering you can TURN OFF SCALING in JenesisDS. And this still looks terrible, even if the scaling is slightly better than JenesisDS' own scaling. To quote the AVGN, "it's like saying the shit I took yesterday is better than the shit I took today". It's shit either way you look at it, but as I said countless times, scaling can be completely disabled in JenesisDS, so it looks infinitely better in that. I always play with scaling off, and it kicks ass. Only downside is the hud isn't centered, but no loss really. Beats ugly squished graphics any day.

Unless of course, they offer an option to disable the scaling here and simply offer a zoom function, to have the view cropped. Which should have been done anyways.

16. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    So its decided: I will not save up for a DS to get this game.

17. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I'll wait for this one to reach the bargain bin, most likely.

18. Granville

Granville

US
    No, but you should save up for a DS to get Golden Sun DS! :P

(big offtopic)

19. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Not worth it.

20. Iceguy

Iceguy

グー! Member
    Hell. It's in my head.
    Internal system recovery
    There is gonna be a Golden Sun for the DS?

FUUUUUCK YEEEEEAAAAAAARRRRR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.