don't click here

Choose your favourite Sonic cutscene!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by VB.NET, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Nobody said the Sonic Adventure opening?

That was like, the most awesome thing ever when I was young. Shoot, it's STILL awesome now!

Also Sonic Shuffle's opening was sick too. I'd love to see that art style revisited for something.

2. Neoblast

Neoblast

I liked some of sonic adventure 2, they seemed great to me, really improved form sa 1 cutscenes and with some cool and some bad dalogues but they are nice.

The sonic unleashed one would be probably the favourite if that werehog wasnt there...

I also loved the s3k endings...

3. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Don't make me choose. D:

Let's see, some of my most favorites include the opening of Sonic CD, the Hidden Palace one, E-102's ending in SA1, the last portion of SA1's ending, Pretty much every scene in SA2, Metal Sonic's transformation and Team Chaotix' ending in Sonic Heroes, the teamup scene with Team Chaotix and just about all of the Last Story in Shadow the Hedgehog, the departure of Team Sonic and the Babylon Rogues in Sonic Riders, Just about every scene in Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity, The opening to every story in Sonic '06, Sonic's resurrection in the same game (sans the kiss), the opening to Unleashed and the scene where Amy doesn't recognize Sonic as a Werehog, 'specially the emotions Sonic expressed afterwards. Oh, and the scene before the final battle there, that was pretty cool, too.

4. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    "Knuckles; don't tell me Eggman tricked you again?"
    "Me? What about you?"
    "Way to go, Knucklehead!"

This is my favourite, for so many reasons. The cheesy dialogue, the poor voice acting, the crude facial expressions that don't match a thing they are saying. And yet, it wouldn't work any other way. You get to see how much of the hero Sonic is portayed as in this very scene as well as Knuckles' own naivety among other things. A classic cutscene in my opinion.

5. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    A lot of my favorite cutscenes are from Riders, there's definitely a lot more personality and character interaction than there usually is, and the writing is definitely a step up from most of the main series titles. My personal favorite from that one is the small scuffle between Knuckles and Storm. Sonic Unleashed had a few good <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l5n3e5—zw" target="_blank">cutscenes</a> as well.

6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    From the classic games, probably a tie between the Sonic 2 ending and the S3&K Hidden Palace Zone as Sonic.

From the last gen of consoles, in terms of sheer badassery, probably this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53OjnId6Bho Kaboom! "Half of the moon is GONE?!!!" XD This is quite possibly Robotnik's Crowning Moment of Awesome in the sheer amount of terror it causes.

And for this gen? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIrdOKBbOMo&fmt=18#t=41 - I consider after 3:21 to be a different cutscene though, so it stops there =P It's Sonic tearing though a ton of Robotnik's machinery, what more do you want?

Hm, come to think of it, 3 out of the 4 of these involve large amounts of wanton destruction, I guess I suffer from a touch of Michael Bayism here =-P

7. NioZero

NioZero

Concepción, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
  8. VB.NET

VB.NET

United States
    Learning C++
    It's great getting people's different perspectives on cutscenes. ^_^
    Thanks for all your great responses so far.

9. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    Sonic and Tails are flying the Tornado to Angel Island.
    Sonic suddenly jump in the sea, but quickly reappears as Super Sonic.
    He burst out, and accelerate directly into the beach, preparing to bring havoc and chaos among Eggman's minions.
    But then, a never seen before red guy appears, and with one, only one hit, stop Super Sonic, which no one up to that point could even scratch, and steals the Chaos Emeralds before Sonic himself can even understand what's going on, despite being the fastest creature alive.

I will always love this scene.

10. Shade

Shade

Probably that scene in Sonic 06 where Shadow uses Chaos Control just to casually walk behind Silver and give him a swift roundhouse to the back of the head. Twice.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
  12. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    - Scrap Brain 2/Final Zone. "Sonic Has Passed act 2" kerching! Fade out/fade in act 3... but NO! A badder, deadlier Robotnik theme starts blasting out and you tiptoe ahead wondering what the fuck is going on...

then there's Robotnik standing next to a switch looking very smug, then you find yourself in the last place you want to be... fucking white Labyrinth zone!

All the Sonic 2/3k/CD stuff mentioned before goes for me too.

13. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire

Ultimate victory! Member
    The Land of Darkness
    Sonic: The Lost Land (Series), The GCN (site)
  14. Iceguy

Iceguy

グー! Member
    Hell. It's in my head.
    Internal system recovery
    "TERRIAH!!" :v:

On a more serious note, the Unleashed intro with Japanese voice acting is pretty epic. Kanemaru can sure put emotion into his role, certain other voice actors could learn a lesson or two from him.

15. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Metal sonic waiving his finger before the race in Sonic CD.

16. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    Cross-posting an elabotation of mine from =SSMB=:

<div align='center'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1DA2dX4Y60</div>

<div align='center'>[​IMG]</div>

It is difficult to articulate how much I love the CD opening. Everything about it is perfect; the style, Sonic's acrobatics, the music... it's just Sonic blasting through the crazy, semi-surreal wilds of Mobius. There's not even BADNIKS; the peril comes directly from the REAL thing Sonic is always fighting: Robotnik's effect on the environment, and the bleak consequences of his his literal chaining of nature.

Robotnik's antagonism isn't shoved in your face with a thousand explosions like it is in Unleashed's opening. Rather the Little Planet is just THERE, hanging menacingly above Mobius like some callous mechanised god, and Sonic stares right back at it from his lonely perch on top of the spire. No superfluous friends skipping around him crying "Save us, save us!". Instead it's just the Blue Blur, mutely squaring up against a corrupted world, panorama of the plains behind him as if to show you what he's fighting to for: Nature, rather than some contrived plot device involving a floating Chihuahua.

And then, there's no smartass, cocky grin or pithy rejoinder; he faces down the enormity of Robotnik's temporal atrocity with nothing more than a look of determination. A jump, a spin-roll, and he's away, sprinting up the chain to take on the Fat Man once again.

<div align='right'>Sonic Boom
    Trouble keeps you runnin' faster
    Sonic Boom
    Save the planet from disaster...
    </div>

<div align='center'>*manly tears*</div>

17. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Crossposting what I had to say there as well:

Frozen Nitrogen....

YOU JUST MADE ME SHED A SEGATA SANSHIRO-POWERED MANLY TEAR.

It's beautiful, people. Admit it. You know you want a game that plays like that.

18. phoenixwright7

phoenixwright7

Cry, and my whip will accommodate! Member
    Hm... I think I gotta go with Sonic and the Black Knight's opening scene, actually... Why? 'Cause what is the first thing Sonic does when he lands in a strange new world? He saves his beloved Chili Dogs. :)

Honorable mentions go to Sonic Unleashed's rather epic opener, and the scene right before Amy fights her final boss in Sonic Adventure. That robot (I forget it's name... It's been awhile since I've played Sonic Adventure ) certainly learns his lesson for messing with Amy, doesn't it?

I also gotta say that the classic scenes that have been mentioned were pretty cool for their time and incredibly memorable.

19. Chaos Knux

Chaos Knux

Stable avatar temporary. Randomizer site down. Banned
  20. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    How is it I can disagree so strongly with your politics, but agree with you 100% about this? :v:

You've evoked the disconnect between classic and modern Sonic in words better than anything else I've come across.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.