don't click here

Classic vs. Modern Design

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Phos, Dec 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    Looking back at SA2 and Sonic '06, tall, angry Sonic just looks silly. Sonic looks fine in Sonic Heroes and Sonic Unleashed, however. I like the green eyes and buckles/soles on his shoes, but it retains more of an innocent look than SA2 and Sonic '06.

2. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    I do like the new model for Sonic Unleashed, after all the other games, it is a nice blend of all the good bits. Well, Accept the Soap shoes... I miss the Soap shoes.

Unleashed is a good refinement over the years and still echos slightly the original design, I didnt care much for the way he moved in Unleashed though, the running just kinda looked like the world was pushing his feet back rather than him propelling himself forward with them :/

3. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Don't get too use to it.

You know they're bound to change it yet again.

4. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    Yeah well y'know, however they do it, aslong as you can look at him and say "Thats Sonic the Hedgehog", dosen't really matter how they tweek him.

5. Mr. Pictures

Mr. Pictures

Oldbie
    Well, I think we all know who Sonic's "classic" design was stolen from. In fact I think I've seen this very pose lifted on to a shirt.

It's kind of weird how there was a lot of preproduction art for Sonic's design and in the end we got this. I honestly don't think much creativity went into the design.

6. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I mean, I don't have too much against the old design nor some of the sensibilities that have taken root in the newer models. I enjoy both.

I mean, the old Sonic appeals to me for the very reason that he is Felix the Cat in a world that's meant to look like the kinds of advertisements and architecture you might find in the time that Felix was a big deal. Well, he's also faster and blue but whatever.

The new Sonic? My main niggling point with him is that the center of what I guess is his eyebrow looks like a freaking labia.

7. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
    Goodness, I remember Felix the Cat well. I have a psuedo-3D animated picture of him somewhere in the boxes in my closet. It does make sense that Felix's design may have contributed to Sonic's look. Heck, early Micky Mouse may have as well.

Mickey hasn't changed much because the age group he targets hasn't changed much either. Although, Mickey is getting a huge change soon, so it seems Disney may be retargeting Mickey to another audience altogether.

8. Mr. Pictures

Mr. Pictures

Oldbie
    In all honesty, I'd take Felix over Sonic any day. Just watch a few of his cartoons (Van Beuren Felix cartoons to be more exact).

I think Sonic's design is primarily Felix with a some other elements mixed in. His eyes seem to be a misinterpretation of some type of Chuck Jones eye.

9. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    In all honesty, Sonic has pretty much looked the same since Sonic Heroes. Bar Sonic '06, obviously, but the Unleashed design is pretty much the Heroes one with more polys.

10. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Oh please. Felix didn't invent that pose and "stolen" is the wrong word to use here.

11. RevFirst

RevFirst

I don't mind the way he looks (outside of 06, I found him ugly even before knowing what that game was about), it's how he behaves. Like...
    This. Fucking this. I'd take his Jaleel White personality over that any day of the week.

12. NintendoBrad

NintendoBrad

Sonic's original design was pretty much inspired by classic cartoon characters altogether (primarily the walking, talking animals). Naoto Oshima knew Sonic was going to be directed towards an American audience, so he probably took note of how popular American cartoon characters looked. Mickey (and to a lesser extent, Felix) was still popular, so why not take a few cues from what worked so well over here?

...Or maybe the guy just really likes classic animation.

This is common knowledge, but I'm just adding to the whole Felix thing. "Inspiration" is the word that works best here, I think.

13. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    I did actually read about something this somewhere.... I believe on one of the comic scans in Sonic Mega Collection.

14. It's not just sonic though, robotnik (eggman) got the same treatment. The looks department is more detailed but his attitude is WAY toned down then what it should be compared to the robotnik of Sonic SATAM, which was bad-ass all around.

15. Metalwario64

Metalwario64

<!--quoteo(post=383101:date=Dec 10 2009, 12:34 AM:name=::CMG (UTOPIA)::)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (::CMG (UTOPIA):: @ Dec 10 2009, 12:34 AM) [​IMG]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's not just sonic though, robotnik (eggman) got the same treatment. The looks department is more detailed but his attitude is WAY toned down then what it should be compared to the robotnik of Sonic SATAM, which was bad-ass all around.[/QUOTE]
    Uhh... Why is Robotnik supposed to represent his SATAM counterpart? SATAM was a radical departure from the games in tone. Robotnik is not supposed to be some super edgy, super dark and evil villain; he is some fat scientist shaped like an egg who's inventions always blow up in his face.

He is supposed to be more like Wile E. Coyote and Sonic is supposed to be like Roadrunner. Robotnik was never some "Supar ejy villan!" originally. If anything, Robotnik should more represent the AoSTH's "Dr. Ivo Robotnik" more than SATAM's "Dr. Julian Robotnik".

16. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    SatAM's Robotnik is a fairly interesting villain taken taken in the context of the Sonic series as a whole, as he'd certainly fit the role of the EVIL FINAL MONSTER seen in the games -- as I've noted before.

However, as far as I'm concerned that was the version with the least personality.

17. while we are on the subject of robotnik, somethin always bothered me bout him in the games... how come his game gear appearance always looked different from the genesis version? its mostly on the box art

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Only time you ever saw that robotnik from the game gear on the genesis was Mean Bean Machine

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That was the style most commonly used by Sega of America at the time. It was the same design used in AoSTH. Never was really sure why they didn't just use the style that was used for the Sonic 2 boxart though.

19. Bobinator

Bobinator

My thoughts on your posting Member
    I'd have to agree with all the people saying they like the classic design the best, although if we couldn't have that, I suppose I could live with the Unleashed design, too. Honestly, out of all the interpretations of Sonic, I'd have to say I like the OVA's the best. Sonic's just way more awesome when he's a total asshole, for some reason. That's why I really liked the writing in Chronicles, even if the game itself wasn't that great.

Off topic, but I like how they treated Robotnik, too. The genocidal tyrant thing the American continuity went for was all right, but I think I prefer him as a jolly fat man, as long as there's eventually going to be a point where he stops fucking around and goes Doomsday Zone on Sonic.

20. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

Uhh... Why is Robotnik supposed to represent his SATAM counterpart? SATAM was a radical departure from the games in tone. Robotnik is not supposed to be some super edgy, super dark and evil villain; he is some fat scientist shaped like an egg who's inventions always blow up in his face.

He is supposed to be more like Wile E. Coyote and Sonic is supposed to be like Roadrunner. Robotnik was never some "Supar ejy villan!" originally. If anything, Robotnik should more represent the AoSTH's "Dr. Ivo Robotnik" more than SATAM's "Dr. Julian Robotnik".
    [/QUOTE]
    I think the sexy beast personality of AOSTH should be given a second change. It fits with Eggman's narcisistic streak.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.