The most annoying moments of Sonic 1

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by D.A. Garden, Aug 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    I find Marble Zone pretty annoying. It's the second zone, it feels really boring and slow. Being the second zone, it really slows down the pace of the game.

Also, any point in the game when you realize you can't use a spin dash is very annoying as well.

2. I do remember in an article somewhere, the reason Act 3 of Scrap Brain Zone is a clone of Labyrinth Zone was due to time constraints. Seemed to be a common theme back then with all the Sonic games.

3. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    How many of you would take the shortcut in that labyrinth zone before the final boss? It would cut out like 90% of the act.

I use to sometimes skip it so I could play the full act.

4. Malpass

Malpass

Fell at the Battle of the Wing Fortress, 1992. Member
    Probably the water areas of Labyrinth Zone. I don't think I've ever beaten LZ, and for that matter, S1.

5. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    No one has mentioned the middle section of GHZ act 2. Where it suddenly shifts to bottomless pit mode. You can run right through and under the moving columns to your death. The second act of the game. Now if common person played Sonic 1 in stores out of interest back then, GHZ would be the only zone they could get through, as Marble Zone would widdle them down, or they have to leave. Those two places I would say would be more well known to everybody.

6. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    It's a common theme for anything with a deadline. :P

7. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    I'm unfamiliar with this, care to explain?

8. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    The sliding platform which moves at the beginning, get in front of it before it stops, then for what I remember follow the route and try not to fall down and holes and you get to the end quite quickly. I have not played it for a while so I'll load it up again today to make sure I'm right.

*edit* I made a quick youtube of the route, 37 seconds to beat act 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw1TfxMX6dk

9. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    This could've saved me so much frastration back when I was interested in playing...

10. Asher

Asher

Your Residentual Tattoo Designer And Pirate Member
    Those pain in the ass roller badniks in Spring Yard Zone.

11. Bryn2k

Bryn2k

Still a thing. Oldbie
    Green Hill Act 2's bottomless pit bit is ace.

I remain convinced some sadist put that in purely to fuck up anyone who thought "oooh! Invincibility box!, HOLD RIGHT BUTTON TIME".

Of course, the trick is to get wiped out by the spikes instead of the pits between like I once managed to :psyduck:

12. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    This. This right here!

13. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    My big problem with Sonic 1 is the fact that every stage has three acts. By the time you get to the third stage, you're sick of the scenery/music. This, of course, was something that was fixed in every Sonic game afterwards (well apart from Sonic 2's Metropolis Zone but I'll let that slide), and doesn't apply so much to the likes of Scrap Brain (or Green Hill since that zone's quick and easy). At least the likes of Super Mario Bros. changed the palette once in a while, even if it did only use one overworld theme throughout the entire game. Sometimes you've got to wonder why Sonic is so happy to walk backwards and forwards underground in Marble Zone three times... there must have been better routes

Labyrinth Zone's "boss" always struck me as something that was thrown in last minute. I mean Robotnik doesn't do anything, and it doesn't matter if you hit him or not. All the obstacles in the sequence appear throughout the stage, so it's only really a boss because the music says so. Would have been nice to have something a bit different after having spent three levels avoiding spikes underwater.

But Sonic 1 on the MegaDrive isn't really much of an annoying game. The Master System version with its Bridge and Jungle zones however - that's a different story.

14. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Bridge and Jungle were the best Zones in that game =P Also, my only real problem with Sonic 1 MD is the length and tediousness of Marble Zone and Labrynth's boss. The rest I loved, especially Star Light and Green Hill.

15. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Don't make me start digging up videos of shortcuts in MZ 2 and 3 :psyduck:

16. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    I know shortcuts in those two, I'm just not keen on those stages XD

17. xcliber

xcliber

Spike bug. That's all I can say.

18. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    not a bug fffffffffffffffffffffffffff

You sonic fans who started with sonic 2 MD are all weaksauce :argh:

19. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Hey, I started with Sonic 1 on the Game Gear, no spike bug there either. You could actually walk through the spikes while flashing/invincible.

20. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    "Sonic 1 spike behaviour"
    "Kill spikes"
    "Unforgiving spikes"
    "Bastard spikes"

Any of these are preferable to calling it a bug, when it's behaviour was intended. I know I'm beginning to sound like a stuck record on this, but it is not a bug. Crashing LZ1 by holding down when finishing the act, that is an example of a bug.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.