don't click here

The most annoying moments of Sonic 1

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by D.A. Garden, Aug 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    So, I was playing through Sonic 1 and came to realise that are several places in the game which have always frustrated me. Not just the first time I played it, but even to this day I still get worked up about.
    Allow me to show you mine.
    [​IMG]

This area here, in Labyrinth Zone Act 2, has been the worst moment in Sonic 1 for me. By the time I get here, I'm usually at the start of a countdown for air. I could try and dodge the orbinaut, but I'd probably waste all my time and drown. I could scramble for an air bubble and risk getting hit. I could try to go back down for an air bubble, but risk getting hit by the spikeball on the chain and then have to come back up. Getting 50 rings in this level to the end for me is a big no-no and it's always been this way.

So, I ask you, what are your most annoying moments of Sonic 1?

2. Labyrinth Zone. I hate that zone >_>. It's annoying.

3. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    There's one section in Scrap Brain with a long chain of rotating platforms and flaming pipes in succession that requires very precise timing to get by. Nine times out of ten, though, I fail miserably at getting past it without getting hit and subsequently fall through the spinning platforms to my death.

[​IMG]

Mother fuck.

4. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    After Final. Game's too short.

5. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Anything from Labyrinth Zone onwards, music included.

6. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    That Eggman boss at the end of Labyrinth Zone. With all those fireballs shooting from the sides and those tridents that stick out from the walls, as you reach your way to the top to escape the rising water.

*shudders*

7. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Fuck you. SBZ's music is terrific, and so is its layout. Only weak point is Labyrinth.

S2, on the other hand, only picks up after two mediocre Zones.

8. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    These "puzzle" sections from Spring Yard Zone always manage to bore me.
    [​IMG]
    It's annoying how these sections forces you to slow down your pace, even though (in a general concept) Spring Yard Zone is supposed to be a fast paced level. Plus, the involuntary deaths caused if you are in the exact intersection point of the edge of a block to another.

9. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Labyrinth Zones boss is the ONLY boss in Sonic history I still RAAAAGEE at so yeah

10. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I dunno, I always found the Labyrinth boss fun.

But Labyrinth in general is a pain. The excessive water bits just make it godawfully slow. I recognize that it's done well as a water level, but I hate how the game just screeches to a halt when you get there.

11. Eviltaco64

Eviltaco64

Hopelessly Lost in Aisle 5 Member
    Scrap Brain Act 3 and Labyrinth Zone were always frustrating at times.

Even now, Robotnik in Labyrinth Zone Act 3 is a pain in the ass.

12. Glisp

Glisp

That one weird guy that does stuff. Member
    Bloomington, IN
    None at the moment I'm afraid.
    A few weeks ago I managed to finally make it to Labyrinth zone without cheats and I made it about halfway through act 1 or 2 (I forget which.) And I died. I didn't die due to drowning though. I died because I was crushed by a ceiling while on one of those conveyor belt platform things.

13. Eviltaco64

Eviltaco64

Hopelessly Lost in Aisle 5 Member
    Damn, when did you start playing Sonic 1? :psyduck:

14. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    I'd say those rollerbots in Spring Yard those things always piss me off.

15. Glisp

Glisp

That one weird guy that does stuff. Member
    Bloomington, IN
    None at the moment I'm afraid.

I'll say it was about age 6 or 7. I started my Genny collection back at age 4 or 5 with a Sonic 3 and Knuckles Genesis bundle. (Both games and a Genesis.)

16. Mine has to be the final boss.

One mistake and your squashed/electrocuted.

17. Nik Jam

Nik Jam

The Man Oldbie
    East Bay, California
    Sonic Mode: Sounds of the Universe (But not really)
    I still tend to forget that SBZ1 opens with a trap door and I fall for it every time.

18. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    You don't have the shield by that point?

If you don't, walk slowly next to him. As soon as he goes red, walk to the left so that he goes off screen. Go down on that little block where the spikeball can't hit you, and you can dodge any of the projectiles that do make it out. Wait for 3 to pop up (Because you're usually drowning at this point). Jump back up. All the spike balls will be gone and all that's left is just the badnik himself. Since the bubble is still on screen, you can get air and defeat the badnik without a problem.

Easy section is easy.

19. HighFrictionZone

HighFrictionZone

Hi. Member
    Katy, Texas
    Nothing
    Marble Zone Act 2: Right after the swinging platforms are two caterkillers and a red spring. Usually, I forget to roll and hit the caterkillers. If I remember to roll, I forget about the spring and end up getting a one-way ticket back into the lava. GRRR.

Marble Zone Act 3: The only time in the entire game that I am actually forced to ride one of those floating stone platforms. It is slow as hell and I just hate it.

Labyrinth Zone Act 3: I hate the boss.

Scrap Brain Zone: Whichever act it is that has those spinny saw blades that shoot out from behind you and will chase you the length of the course if you don't find some place to jump them if you take the lower path. Scared the shit out of me the first time I played Scrap Brain. Every since then, I've always endeavored to take the highest possible path. It was so long ago that I'm not really sure how to describe it.

Nowadays, I can usually dodge them easy, but I still take the highest possible path to avoid the things.

20. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    If only video games still had "genuine" difficulty, rather than just....more enemies with more HP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.