don't click here

Favorite Sonic game, and why?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by nullaccnt, Aug 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Sonic CD* hands down. I just still love every aspect of it.

*With JP/EU soundtrack.

2. Aka Mekon

Aka Mekon

AKA The best Member
    France
    No, I'm just sit on a chair =p
    Sonic 3 & Knuckles for the 2D, followed by Sonic CD, and Sonic Adventure DX for the 3D, followed by Sonic Heroes (so what ?).

3. Metal Knuckles

Metal Knuckles

HAVE SOME FUN WITH MIKU Member
    New Hampshire, USA
    Shadow Alpha, an awesome hack of Sonic 1
    Sonic 3 & Knuckles, simply because the music for that game was incredible. There wasn't one stage that the music sounded repetitive or pissed me off, and to this day Hydrocity Act 2 and Flying Battery Act 1 have the best songs out of the whole franchise. The amount of exploration one could do in each level was also amazing, especially considering the levels in Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 seemed to all start out short and gain length as they went on, while they tended to stay long the entire time in 3&K. I also finished the game with Knuckles for the first time ever last week, and had no idea there was going to be an intense Mecha Sonic battle. Howry shat.

Second runner up would have to be Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. Yeah, Shadow and Rogue are prime examples of why we all hate the Sonic franchise and it's official fan character add ons these days, but when this game came out it wasn't a staple part of the series yet. Shadow, for all his emo behavior, still came off as an interesting character, and Rogue... well, there wasn't much character development about Rogue. But if they had just left Shadow dead at the end of the game and not revived him for the bajillion milking pails for the Sonic franchise afterwards, he'd probably be right up there with Metal Sonic for badass one-shot characters. Plus, the controls were great and the level design was pretty good.

4. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    Sonic the Hedgehog - MD, 1991

The one game that made my mum buy me a Megadrive when I was young.
    They say nothing can beat the original, I'm inclined to agree. Playing GHZ is always so nostalgic for me. Earning that speed from the loop de loop and the 2 S-tunnels to be shot into the air for all those rings is brilliant. The levels are set out in a nice "Speed, Platforming, repeat" order that is always a change from the pace you were in during the level before, which never gets old for me. Sure, Sonic 2 and Sonic3K were good games; great sequels in fact. But I still love the original, nothing can change that.

As for 3D Sonic games...

Sonic Adventure - DC, 1999

Yeah, the original Dreamcast one, not the DX Gamecube equivalent. Like Sonic 1, this game made me get the console purely for the game, I traded in my Playstation and all 20 something games for a DC with Sonic Adventure.
    Everything about this game screamed classic Sonic to me when I first saw it. Loop de loops, platforming, ramps, speed and even the spindash (In some odd form yes, but still); it was all there. Emerald Coast is like the 3D equivalent of Green Hill Zone to me. The game felt like a classic Sonic game in 3D, it still had all the things that I knew and loved and then improved upon these things, usually in the most unexpected ways. A truly brilliant game.

5. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Do we get one of these topics a month?

6. AndyRolo

AndyRolo

Wolverhampton, UK
    Back from working abroard. Gunna get back in to hacking then i'll start working on somthing proper.
    I'd have to say Sonic Adventure. Because it was the first real 3D Sonic game I was just so immersive. I remeber waking up early just so I could play it before school, thinking about playing it all through school then running home from school just to play it.

7. corneliab

corneliab

Even though Sonic 3 & Knuckles is my preferred game of the bunch, I feel obligated to at least give Sonic Advance 3 an honorable mention.

That was quite the game; 7 full zones with 3 standard acts each, as well as concise little hub areas. I also liked how the game went against the typical "hill" and "metallic base" motifs for beginning and final areas respectively. Throw in an excellent soundtrack, a team aspect with lots of variety and one that does not force its gimmicks onto the player to proceed, a nice balance between speed and platforming, expansive stages with many paths, and the fact that it's a canonical sequel to Sonic Battle, and you have a downright nifty Sonic game. Very underrated, in my opinion.

As far as 3D games go, my favorite would have to be Sonic Unleashed (360). Don't really feel like going in depth with this one, but yeah.

8. In order:

1. Sonic 3 and Knuckles
    2. Sonic CD
    3. Sonic Adventure 2
    4. Sonic Adventure
    5. Sonic 2
    6. Sonic 1
    7. Sonic Unleashed
    8. Sonic 3D Blast
    9. Sonic Advance
    10. Sonic Triple Trouble

9. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Just give me all the Mega Drive games :P
    Maybe. I didn't find the Sonic 2 Special Stages hard. Sonic CD's are much harder, and mainly because Sonic turns too slow in comparsion to the speed he runs at -_-

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=E5EB160234C2CBDF&search_query=1+sphere+Special+Stage" target="_blank">Try custom Special Stages!</a> (hacking FTW :P)

10. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Sonic CD by a longshot, everything but the shit spindash was perfect, especially the special stages. My second favorite would be Sonic 3 and Knuckles. Incredibly long, a faint storyline that you can understand without reading the manual, save points, and the ability to play as Sonic Tails and Knuckles.

11. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    2D: Sonic the Hedgehog CD. I don't get the hate; because really, SCD was more of a platformer than any other Sonic game ever made (probably except for Sonic 1 itself). Also to note that I see so many people complain about it's level design and how it breaks the flow constantly. What's so bad about it? I never have problems keeping the flow in SCD, as I could beat each level in less than about 30 seconds each. All it takes is learning routes properly.

3D: Sonic Adventure. Even though it contains somewhat-wonky physics and a load of glitches, the handling was perfect and caught the complete essence of how Sonic should play in 3D. Also note that this was the last game (until Unleashed) where we got to see Sonic without being highly dispropotionate. And the soundtrack is win.

Runner ups would be Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Sonic 1 & Sonic Unleashed.

12. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    Sonic CD because when I first started playing it, I thought of it as an advanced Sonic 1 with different levels. First played it on PC in 96' and then much later bought the Sega CD version and played it on Fusion. I still do that to this day and never changed my feelings about the game.

13. Eddo

Eddo

I love Sonic Jam, if it counts. I mean, it's got all my favorite games excluding Sonic CD, and the extras are far better than any of the other compilation's extras.

14. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Sonic 2, purely because the 2 player mode was played by me and my sister every Sunday as kids for about two years straight, almost always coming down to a extra special stage due to a tie, jumping in front of each other constantly to grab the rings. The mystic cave play through would always have a lot of deaths in the 2nd act right to start of the stage which meant it went on for ages, we always fell for that spike trap the first time round!

Eddo: Sonic CD wasn't on Sonic Jam, but if I had to pick one Sonic disc to play on an island it'd be that one, though I would also miss Sonic CD. All the mega Sonic games that mattered with a bunch of extra modes and features.

15. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    As a matter of fact, I can't do it neither as a child nor as an adult.

Part of the reason I don't like it - to me, it's too difficult/unpredictable. Now, Blue Sphere, there's a much better format for unskilled gamers like me. 8D

16. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    If you can see the colors, that is. The first time I played I had to play it in black and white because the MD was sending a NTSC signal and the TV was set to PAL. I assure you, it's almost impossible to distinguish between blue and red spheres x_X I feel sorry for those guys who are colorblind :|

17. D-Man

D-Man

the americone dream Member
    Nothing can beat the classics.

Though my first sonic game ever played was Sonic 2, I like 3&K better for 3 reasons. Better special stages, better music in my opinion, and of course, how long it takes to beat the game. Much longer than most other games of it's time. I never got to own the two of them for genesis when they first released, but I did have Sonic and Knuckles. I'd have to go through hell to try to find it though.

I battled my cousin on the two player mode all the time back in the day. I would've liked it more if there was a little more to it. It was also MUCH better than 2 player in Sonic 3. Just seemed kinda tacked on at the last minute.

18. Sonic CD. I love the concept, music, layouts, and overall gameplay. Best ever.

19. Malpass

Malpass

Fell at the Battle of the Wing Fortress, 1992. Member
    No. I can't either.

20. D-Man

D-Man

the americone dream Member
    I could... at Wing Fortress... absolute last chance to do it. That last stage's a bitch even now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.