don't click here

Favorite Sonic game, and why?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by nullaccnt, Aug 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nullaccnt

nullaccnt

Since the last topic of the same name was about 5 years ago, I thought I'd make it again.

Sonic CD has to be my all-time favorite, because, to me, it feels as if the essence of what Sonic was really meant to be was perfectly captured. It was his creator's game, after all. The series has always had a mystical or magical element to the games, and it felt even more present in Sonic CD. Coming in close second is Sonic 2, and after that, Sonic Adventure.

2. Eviltaco64

Eviltaco64

Hopelessly Lost in Aisle 5 Member
    The best 2D game had to have been Sonic 3 and Knuckles followed closely by Sonic CD and Sonic 1.

The best 3D game was Sonic Adventure for sure.

3. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    My favorite Sonic game has been and always will be Sonic 2. It was the first Sonic game I have played and beaten. Of course though, the fact that my mom was playing Sonic 2 while pregnant with me might have a bit of influence as to why it's my favorite game.

4. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Just about every element of Sonic 3 & Knuckles blends together quite well. The music fits just about everywhere and sounds fantastic (Data Select song is my ringtone), some of the best compositions on the Genesis. The characters don't look out of place in any of the environments and are animated quite nicely. The Special Stages don't really take away from the flow of the game and can get very exciting further down the line, especially after your first Super Emerald or so. The Zones all look and feel different, so the game doesn't drag on and on. It's just a great game. Anybody remember how it felt the first time you were flying through space as Super/Hyper Sonic in The Doomsday Zone?

5. Vendettagainst

Vendettagainst

Apparently shooting kills things Member
    Sonic CD, easily.

It's in my opinion the best game of the series, even better than 1, 2, 3/K and all the crap that followed because of how fun and flashy it was. I had the Dino PC version and I used to play it pretty religiously, even more than Sonic 1 when I had my Genesis. The first zone, Palmtree Panic, with it's music, it's looks, and it's design, keeps me engrossed longer than, say, Green Hill, Emerald Hill, and Angel Island, which are all just races to the finish. This Sonic game was different but not too different, close enough where it had similar gameplay and great levels. It still keeps a Sonic 1 feel though, with it's 80's influence but coming into the 90's, which was not in any Sonic game after. It has the easily greatest special stages, not being annoying (Sonic 1), too easy (Sonic 2) or too hard (The blue super emerald stage in Sonic 3K? REALLY?). While many people complain about the bosses, I find them very creative and fun for a Sonic game. I guess you could say nostalgia but even to this day I load it more on my PSP than any other Sonic game (Or any other game on their anyway.) The game does lose points for Wacky Workbench (easily the most despicable fucking level in the series), but other than that it's perfect.

6. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Sonic 2.

Easy to pick up. Easy to put down. Superior Multiplayer Mode. Superior Special Stages. Superior Music. Superior Levels. Superior Everything.

7. John Calibur

John Calibur

Sonic CD and Sonic 2 are imo the cream of the crop, with Sonic CD beating out 2 due to the music, level design, FMVs, and the badass bosses (metal sonic). Sonic 2 has the superior final boss and of course, Tails.

I like S3&K, it's a badass game, but to me it introduces new and awkward elements into the sonic series. Namely the plot. The first few sonic games were always easy to digest, finish the stage and beat the fat mad scientist who wants world domination.

I'm probably alone on this, but I found the 'master emerald' concept to be kinda off putting. I always liked the chaos emeralds being sort of vague and ambiguous, they didn't really need an explanation to me. Now the emeralds are a cliche' plot device thrown about each and every new gen game. I dunno, it's not like I'm 100% against it. In terms of writing it's OK, but I feel it wasn't for the best.

8. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Shadow the Hedgehog.

9. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.

What the hell are you guys smoking?

Eh, I guess my favorite in 2D would have to be Sonic 3 & Knuckles, closely followed by Sonic Chaos (nostalgia playing a big role there).

In 3D, it's much harder for me to choose. I guess it'd have to be Sonic Adventure 2 (Battle). Great playability, awesome story, super soundtrack, good, varying gameplay styles. What else would I want? =D

10. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    The only reason I even consider Shadow the Hedgehog a good game is because it's great in theory and could have potentially been an amazing game had it had been made for PC controls with a mouse and wasn't bug filled. Seriously, running around fast, jumping in the air suddenly, clicking each of the guys in the area in slow-mo and then letting go of slow-mo for it to unleash all at once would be badass.

11. Compsense

Compsense

NC, USA
    some dance album or summat
    2D: Sonic 2, easily; my first sonic game, and I've never loved one more than S2.

3D: Sonic Unleashed (360/PS3); the werehog was alright (for what it was, I generally enjoyed it), but the real fun [for me] was the day stages, as it was with most people that have played it. Also, I should get around to playing SADX someday...

12. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Good shit.

The half-pipe is simple, fun and awesome and has been reused several times with successful results (Minus Sonic Heroes).

It's what a any special stage should be. A fun experience. Of course, no other game has represented the half pipe as well as Sonic 3D Blast for the Saturn. Fuck that shit was amazing.

13. HighCaliburFun

HighCaliburFun

I gotta juice! Member
    USA
    Mine would easily be Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles, hands down...

14. Vendettagainst

Vendettagainst

Apparently shooting kills things Member
    Sonic 2's special stages were too easy and simple for me. Although that was the best thing to do in 2P mode.

It's one of those games that would have worked out alot better if it wasn't a Sonic game, along with Sonic 3D Blast and Sonic Battle.

15. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Am I the only one who could never beat all of the Sonic 2 Special Stages as a kid? :psyduck:

As for 2D, I'd have to say either S3&K or CD. I love almost everything about both of those games, except the fact that I've been playing through S3&K's special stages and breezing them for so long it's become annoyingly tedious.

In 3D, it'd either have to be SA1 or Unleashed. Both were very fun to play when it came to Sonic, and the other gameplay it offered was fun in its own right. I'm probably the only one who enjoyed Big's levels. :P

16. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    This is a really tough call. If I were stranded on a desert island, and could only have one Sonic game for the rest of my life, I think I'd have to pick Sonic CD.

17. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Stop trolling

So bad ass he was killed by a wall.

Sorry, I know we have a whole other thread for the bad aspects, but these two needed to be mentioned.

2D: S3&K. This one is probably because of the nostalgia glasses. Its hard to say they. Nostalgia glasses don't really come into play for me with games. If a game was good, its still good. If I thought a game was good and it sucked, I think it sucks later on (vectorman is a prime example).

3D: SA1.

18. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

1. S3&K
    2. Sonic 1, SA1
    3. Sonic CD, SA2, Unleashed

Then probably Sonic Heroes and Sonic 2 (weird, but there you go). Everything else, meh, some qualify as fun, others not really. S06 is the worst for me.

19. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Sonic CD. Tidal Tempest was like Labyrinth, only fun.

20. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    2D = Sonic CD

3D = Sonic Adventure (1 on Dreamcast) :) - Sonic X-treme would have probably been the best 3D if it was released though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.