Sonic Unleashed Mobile

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Moogs, Jun 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I certainly didn't expect a release like this, but it's definitely an interesting one! Does anyone else think it feels like a really poorly made fangame in terms of physics, though? It's very slow and it doesn't seem as if momentum even exists in this physics engine.

With a downscaled release of the game in this caliber, I'm kind of interested in why they didn't also try to make a DS release of the game in the reign of Sonic Rush. It certainly looks like it would have worked well enouigh, especially using these level graphics paired with the original Rush engine. I wonder if anyone will have the skill to pull off a remake based on Sonic Rush? ;)

2. Cap

Cap

I just don't get why Sega would release this for the iphone, but not have anything for the DS or PSP. Surely you'd think the DS and PSP are a much better market for games right now. But I dunno, perhaps they have something planned for the DS and PSP that we haven't seen just yet.

3. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

The sprites (particularly the Werehog transformation) look rather awful. I wonder why they can't get some decent spriters in this day and age.

Game looks fun, so long as it's not a hold right affair. Pity it's only for Apple's products.

4. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    The iphone/touch supports mp3 music, so why the fuck are they using master system sounds?

Is this game coming to japanese mobiles also? I need to read the ign link still.

Another thing is why are they using the iphone that way up? even if you have a touchscreen dpad you are best to landscape the device so you can hold it much better.

5. Rokkan

Rokkan

Jesus christ the game looks awful
    There are a ton of pixel-artists down at the Spriters-Resource forum that could whip something better than that in a hour.
    Christ even I can whip something better than that in a hour.
    And ugh MIDIs
    And ugh fan-game physics

This looks like a crappy fangame, really.

6. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    The Wii version is positively boring by comparison =P

Then go away and don't come back until you've done better. And I mean a fully-licensed iPhone game built to your exacting standards. Whatever keeps you away longest.

Anyway. I quite like the look of it, I just hope it doesn't play like other iGames I've heard of which control by tilting or shaking of the handset. And with the average capacity of the iPhone, they could at least stretch to some low-quality mp3 samples, for the music, surely =P

7. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Am I the only one who thinks this is the most botched up job ever? This looks absolutely horrendous, it's as bad as the old fangames on SFGHQ. This is the most unprofessional looking game to come out on iPhone yet. Jesus christ I've seen better recolors then those sprites. I hope to god this doesn't pass, the sprites, tiles, and music are all horribly done.

8. Mainly because the decline of 2D gaming also leads to the decline in the numbers of sprite artists.

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Interesting, but come back to me when it's possible to play this without having to give a single penny to Apple and their DRM schemes.

10. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    There! I wanted to point this, but you beat me to the punch :v:

Although I'm not one hundred percent sure if iTouch can play sounds simultaneously with mp3 bgms.

And I came to this question myself too while making my fangame. I was creating a midi of Dragon Road Day, but then, I came to myself and thought: "Why the hell am I using sequenced music if I could pretty much simply use a mp3 instead? Since the iPhone have support for simultaneous play of mp3 samples and pcm."

It would be better if they used mp3 music instead.

11. It sounds like the generic MIDI wavetable that comes with Windows, so there might be something going on here.

12. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Didn't Gameloft mention before that it was for mobile devices, not the iPhone? The MIDI soundtrack certainly suggests so... It's possible IGN mixed it up.

13. Max Firestorm

Max Firestorm

Pyrodramatic Member
    Well I suppose since I don't own whatever platform this is on (iPhone or otherwise, it's doubtful I have it) the only thing I'm looking forward to is someone ripping the MIDIs XD

14. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Oh my god. I just realized something really scary.

The destructoid psychic said a new 2D Sonic would premier at E3.

Holy shit, are you kidding me. She was right after all.

15. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    DS port plox

I have an iPod touch but I can't see myself playing a Sonic platformer on it.

16. Crazizzle

Crazizzle

If they wanted to do a DS port without actually upgrading it to not look out of place, it could alwaysbe cheap DSi download material.

The level dersigns look interesting to me, and playing as the Werehog in 2D looks...overpowered. Consider me curious.

17. Cap

Cap

Well, did it premier at E3. I didn't see any coverage, but then again its not something that would've got coverage.

Anyways, from watching the trailer. This looks like pure crap on skinny stick. Aside from the awful music, the sprites look lame as they come. Especially the werehog ones. It just doesn't look worth it, even though it'll cost next to nothing on itunes.

18. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I don't see what's so wrong with the werehog specifically, to be honest; certainly not regarding the sprite.

However, the fact is that his gameplay is kinda pointless in 2D since its main appeal came from being based on larger, more open environments than modern Sonic was used to.

19. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    So does anyone think the werehog is gonna play like ristar?

20. NintendoBrad

NintendoBrad

So I'm the only one here who likes Sonic's sprite? :P

That's certainly possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.