don't click here

SONIC BEYOND

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Thewoog, May 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thewoog

Thewoog

Okay, so I was browsing Sonic on Youtube and I found this neat video!

SONIC BEYOND

This would be awesome!!! Future community project anyone?

My favorite levels are Fun Park, Neon Palace, Scream Mansion, and Urban Jungle.

2. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    So, the "PERFECT Sonic Game" is basically Sonic Rush with a makeover? Is that what you're saying?

3. Thewoog

Thewoog

IDK, I played Sonic Rush and this doesn't seem very much like it. Similar Style, yes. Sonic Rush with Makeover, no.

I changed the title.

4. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    It is always neat to imagine, every time I see this video. But Sonic Beyond is just a big "what if."

5. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    The game, based on those pictures, is a speed-oriented sidescroller with themed stages and mechanical bosses (standard 2D Sonic fare), grinding and a discernible boost meter. That's pretty much exactly what Sonic Rush is, which itself is Sonic Advance with a boost meter. I really don't see how that game is any different from the average fan game or even hack, or indeed recent 2D/2.5D official games.

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    That video had some very neat and imaginitive concepts! I'm pretty sure I've seen it before, but it's a nice refresher to see it again and dream about how a game like that could turn out if actually brought to fruition. I especially like how the players obtain skills from the levels' associated characters, sort of like the Robot Masters/Mavericks in the Mega Man (X) series. I've always wondered if such a thing could work in the context of a Sonic game, and this little concept video proves that it certainly could with clear direction.

Thanks for sharing, in either case! It'd be pretty wild if someone formulated a team and made this game a reality.

All the pictures do is show running and illustrate level concepts—there's no gameplay or level design shown in any of them. How can you pretentiously insinuate that the game, if completed, would be "just another Sonic Rush"? Your claims are entirely baseless.

7. Thewoog

Thewoog

I am hoping this could be a possible community project! That won't be for a long time though. I will keep this thread in my bookmarks and revive it if it ever goes dead.

I practiced on my own small sonic sidescroller for level design, but I am clueless when it comes to coding, so this game might not be any type of project, even a solo project, for a long time.

8. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    If this was the point in your making this thread, then let me burst your bubble right now—it won't.

9. Thewoog

Thewoog

Not really my point, I was just saying it would be cool if it would. I already have a couple of friends at school who are going to help me make it when we take coding and game design classes in 10th grade. Unfortunately that is not for another 2 years. If anyone beats me to making it then post it :-)

10. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    You have game design classes in your high school??????

...Lucky.

I have seen this video before, and I do sort of like the idea of taking all the characters that don't have anything better to do in the Sonic games and allowing them to teach the main three player characters new skills. The only thing I wonder about is how one could possibly fit all those skills into your traditional Sonic control scheme.

Nonetheless, I still think having Robotnik operate a mechanical palm tree is one of the coolest boss ideas I have ever seen.

11. Thewoog

Thewoog

In the description of the video, there is a link to the creator's deviantart. In there are some screenshots of the manual which shows the control scheme. Take a look at it.

12. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    One, you would need permission from the original artist, which from the description sounds like he doesn't want to make the game real.

Two, even if the artist said yes could you and your friends really do it? I mean really?

Three, you said you would be in 10th grade in 2 years. That makes you around 8th grade, back when I thought of crazy video fan games and projects in my head which I was sure I was going to make when I get the tools and skills needed to make them and become a superstar, in short a youthful dreamer. I'm now 22 and still I haven't got those tools and skills I wanted. Each video game project looking back I thought up was silly and stupid and would have been to complicated to make. You sound like the same kind of person I was back then. Saying "I will make this fantastic thing once I learn how to code" won't work, people will just walk away unless you have physical proof you can do it.

Four, don't mention the "community projects" buzzword around here right now. Various people are still bitter around here.

13. Thewoog

Thewoog

I asked the person and he said "You can make it, but are you really sure you can?" He did kind of the type of response you did and he said it was OK to make it. The toughest thing would be to get the sprite and background sheets, and I don't know any good artists other than the creator of the video. The level design and stuff would not be a problem.

14. GIHunter

GIHunter

Popping in here from who knows where, and finding this topic, I take a look at the video, then the Deviant art, take a gander at the manual, and find that the spelling and grammar are atrocious.
    See what I mean? Time for a fix-up:

15. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    this guy "could" be foreign though, or maybe someone at a young age, either way I think it wouldn't be such a bad idea, I'm not one for liking anything too new and somehow predictable as...

...for a sonic game, but hey! give it a try! that's what I say.

16. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    The irony of the situation is delicious. :v:

17. Hybrid Project Alpha

Hybrid Project Alpha

It's what's for dinner Oldbie
    Douglas, NB
    Getting a life
    Sonic Beyond, where Sonic is too old to save the world anymore so he must groom a successor who is secretly his clone

18. Squints

Squints

All souped-up. And DESECRATED! Member
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    RIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACERRRRRRRRRRRR
    Good, so I'm not the only one who thought that when I saw the topic title.

Referential humor aside, this actually looks like a pretty cool concept. The level designs are clever, and I'm assuming that the character-donated abilities would be used in puzzles later in the game, thus why each character has a specific level progression. Of course, that also kinda crushes the possibility of playing as characters in levels that they normally don't play in, but if it makes for enough improvement to the main game, then extra features can be trashed as necessary.

19. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    As opposed to insinuating that it would be any different from those games or typical fangames? I think not. It's also not pretentious, even if you think it's a nice word to add to your sentence; I've nothing against that game concept and it does look nice, I simply fail to see what is so incredibly unique about it.

Also, acquired abilities could probably work if they're well balanced and thought out; if you think about it, that's kinda what SA1 and 2 did.

20. Thewoog

Thewoog

The person is foreign, I think from Chile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.