don't click here

General Project Thread & Feedback

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vangar, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Happy Easter Everyone! :colbert:

[​IMG]

2. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    You're a little late for England. It's past Midnight now.

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    So? That's still pretty cool =P

4. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    How about change Tails' controls like how Mario and Luigi are different (thinking back to Mario 2 - and 3?)? Luigi was always the one who jumps higher than Mario, but couldn't jump as far as Mario?

I thought that was the case with Tails anyway, or am I thinking of maybe Sonic 3 here?

5. I have an idea for the start of the game. Back in 1992, we usually had to read the manual to know the story, but in the 21st century, the game itself tells us. What if we have some text or slideshow at the start that tells players the story once the players press Start. If we're going to do that, it would be better to use the Japanese version of the story.

6. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    Please God no

7. Why not? You could skip it if you wanted...

8. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    "Robotnik's up to no good again!"?
    That would be it, really.

9. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    [​IMG]

This would work if Sonic 2 had any redeeming story to begin with.

It doesn't.

So all you would be doing is providing useless filler material that adds nothing.

10. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Sorry, no.

This is going to be as a faithful a recreation of the original game as we can make it; one with a graphical overhaul to bring it into the modern realm and a few, mind you, -very- few, additional features of worthwhile value.

People didn't play Sonic games back then for the story. They're not going to be playing S2HD for it either.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Only way I'll say yes to this is if you make an intro that goes along to the theme of Fresh Prince of Bel Air

12. siditious

siditious

13. Never mind then. :P

14. djdocsonic

djdocsonic

Testing YOUR Hacks Since 2005... Member
    Emerald Hill Zone
    Looking for a Rom Hack to Test.
    Produce a PDF Document with the instructions ;) Except substitute all "Insert Cartridge into your Sega Genesis Console, Insert A controller into Port 1 and Switch on the Console" to....

"Pray your PC's Spec can handle this!, Install the game. Run it and watch some serious Shit going down ;)"

15. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    This sums up the entire project remarkably well.

16. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    As it has been mentioned countless times, you won't have a S2 carbon copy.
    CK wanted to mean (of course) that with improved visuals (you'll see what I mean pretty soon) and music, the main and few juicy "worthwhile brand new features" planned, won't be ruined by a unsatisfying kid-story addition narrative ala Secret Rings, as we think the Sonic 2 magic lies within its universal and immersive narration.

Once the main features will be available, do expect new "juicy" ones to make its mark tough!
    We already aim very high, what good would make to develop thousands of extras without a rock solid main core? ;)

17. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    I'd definitly enjoy custom Special Stages though :0
    Also, the end of Sonic Retro must mean good news for 2HD, right?

18. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    No, absolutely no.

The problems that "Sonic Retro" face are simular to what Sega face when they are creating new Sonic games. It helps S2HD to realize how much easier it is to work with an already "proven to work" project. In the end when S2HD tries to create something new, these issues will arise here as well, and having people dealing with them already is better than having them turn up and get nasty later.

In the end we are all fans of the Sonic games we are making. For myself, I try to focus on the things I like and hopefully nothing will get inbetween that.

The Sonic Retro project dates back to late 2003 when I, Stealth, and Jan Abaza had various ideas to bring back Sonic. None of us were really ready then (very hard to admit even now). Since then we have all focused on our ways to bring back Sonic.
    I have clearly choosen Sonic 2 HD as the main way to bring back the Sonic feeling. Mostly thanks to all of your great effort in creating fantastic art and music resources.

It is an emotional trip ahead for this project, and as much as I want to discuss it, I leave that to the people in charge instead, SO that I can focus on the things I like ;)

19. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    In my opinion, Sonic Retro project failed because it lacked a direction or someone to define it; it's equally important to produce material as it is to have certain goals defined for every step (milestone if you like). These problems don't arise in companies like Sega simply because employees don't just say "hey let's do art and music and see what happens", they sit down to discuss how the project will be done, what has to be done, who will do what, etc. This is something S2HD project members can learn from.

20. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I don't really think the inherent success or failure of Sonic Retro had much of anything to do with this particular project; after all, both were led differently, both had significantly different goals, and both required a different range of talent in terms of potential for completion. It's not really fair or accurate to say that its disbandment has any kind of relevance to the success of Sonic 2 HD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.