don't click here

Sonic Megamix

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Stealth, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bareirito

Bareirito

Argentina
    Sonic - Mystery of the Chaos Emeralds
    Yes, perhaps Sonic gains too much impulse on that slopes.

2. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Probably it's speedcap-related, yes. And it's easy enough to fix it anyway :3

3. mdawgmike

mdawgmike

Wow...I'm thrilled to see that this amazing hack is back in action! I'm not sure if we're reporting bugs here, or if you guys are just doing all your own testing. But, here are some of the less-obvious problems I've run into with the currently released version:

Misty Maze 2: One of the waterfalls (I think that's what you call them...where it slides you down at an angle) about half way through the level pushes you through the floor, and then have to wait until you drown or reset

Misty Maze 3: Someone else already mentioned, but yea if you actually beat the boss you get put into permanent slow motion until you can manage to release the critters and finally end the act

Starry Night (all acts): If you don't go into an immediate spin dash after hitting the springs that shoot you up and then over (through an inverted ramp) then you will get stuck in the ramp

Metallic Base 3: If you spin dash too fast to get the first bubble shield (under the spikes) you will go through the wall and make the Genesis freeze, requiring a reset. Also, in this level the graphics glitched out once or twice for me (first the background, then the other textures in the level become all garbled as well). I'm not sure what exactly would cause that.

Some times in the final cut scene the graphics are garbled as well.

Other than the few minor bugs, this has played remarkably well for me. I play it just as much as the rest of the Sonic titles I own (very often). Please continue the amazing work you all are doing!

4. synchronizer

synchronizer

Those are all the glitches I experienced (on hardware). (It also had the garbed graphics.)

5. How come the "Current" version of Megamix takes up 4.4 MB and then when you open it, all it has is a text file saying something like..."It's all alone in here", or something like that.

6. Flygon

Flygon

The ISO image itself or the RAR? Either way, I can recall a similar text file saying the same thing in one of the two. If it is in the ISO, it is probably poking fun at the fact they are able to hide all the files. :words:

7. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    It's to stop people stealing the content on the disc, I assume. :words:

8. DDRKhat

DDRKhat

Keep on runnin' to the finish! Member
    Wasn't aware you could hide files within a ISO/Rar document. The files could probably get ripped but It'd take a serious group of hackers and it's not worth the time to steal the content :words:

9. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Er, I already found out how to get the CD contents from the ISO almost immediately... >_>

10. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    I thought it was because the Sega CD's ISO format couldn't be read as-is by Windows >_>

11. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    WUUUUUUUT. I've always been able to see the contents of a Sega CD image, only Megamix hides it's files.

12. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Yeah, I have a bunch of PCM files from Lunar: Silver Star that say otherwise. My assumption was always just a multisession disc, though -- Sega CD reads one session, windows reads another.

13. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    I believe the idea was that it would stop theft by YouTube idiots who would make Sonic red and publish "TEH BEST HACK EVER!!11!". If a tech-savvy person such as, say, Sik or nineko wanted to rip the contents, it would be extremely difficult to stop them without a large budget and specialized hardware; the reason they don't do so is because they have sufficient talent to accomplish something on their own, and have no need for theft.

14. nineko

nineko

italy
    Those two words don't sound good in the same sentence.
    1. I never tried to extract the contents from the Megamix iso;
    2. In fact, I doubt I would be able to do so;
    3. Furthermore, I never downloaded the latest version of Megamix altogether;
    4. I don't have the "talent" to do what team Megamix did, seeing as it features new art, layouts, moves, etc. All I can do is music;
    5. Then again, the music in Megamix is very good, as it features stuff by Puto and Cinossu, and they're awesome at smps.

15. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    1. I never said you did; I simply used you as an example of someone who could
    2. I suppose you're a better judge of your own ability than I am
    3. I never said you did
    4. You CAN accomplish something on your own; it doesn't HAVE to be as good as Megamix
    5. Agreed.

16. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    Sooner or later I should have posted here.

Words cannot express how I'm happy to see this hack still alive. This hack was the reason I discovered Rom hacking, and I really cannot wait for the moment this hack will be complete.
    Excellent work you all :psyduck:

And for the sake of a different question:
    Where did the name Megamix originates? Is it an omage to Rockman Megamix (yeah I know it is very unlikely, but asking never hurts, right?), or it has a different origin (linked to music, maybe)?

17. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    I always thought it was just a thought up name. D=

...I could be wrong.

18. nineko

nineko

italy
    If I remember correctly, Tweaker initially chose the name because he wanted to incorporate features from different Sonic games, hence a mega mix of stuff.

19. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    Actually I came up with the name, for the reason that the intention way back when the team was just Tweaker and myself was to alter as much as possible to bring remix the original S1 into a completely new game entirely. It wasn't planned to incorporate so many features in back when the name came about, but I think the level of features in the game now does the name justice.

20. Master3k

Master3k

I don't know if this was already answered/asked, but will the next release be the last one?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.