don't click here

Sonic Megamix

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Stealth, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Yes.

2. Hanoch

Hanoch

Also known as TheKnock, Birashot Member
    Israel
    everything
    NO. I was expecting to see a demo or something, since waiting untill you revamp every single level art and every single level layout, re-create the bosses for each and every zone, doing some minor asm changes like act 4 in extra mode, unlockable characters (tails, knuckles) is a long time. Will you at least show us some videos/pictures? Or even some 'hints' of a feature you added like Cinossu does with S1EE.

3. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    It's their hack and their choice, Hanoch, no use trying to change it.

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Tough shit.

I have no idea; I can tell you that if you're expecting them, though, you certainly not going to get them. You'll get what we give you, and that's it—nothing more, nothing less.

5. DDRKhat

DDRKhat

Keep on runnin' to the finish! Member
    Just leave them to do their work. If they want to demonstrate something, they will, if not, then they won't.
    Or as Tweaker quite rightly already posted, "Tough Shit."

6. Hanoch

Hanoch

Also known as TheKnock, Birashot Member
    Israel
    everything
    Well ok then. If I wont like it (which will never happen since this hack is EPIC) then I could just stop playing it though.

7. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    So, I had an idea today when I played the most recent release for the first time in forever. I discovered that I had forgotten what characters I had beaten the game with, since it had been so long since I last played. I checked every character manually, but wouldn't it be nice if there was some sort of completion screen in the options menu, kind of like the checklists in Kirby Air Ride and Super Smash Bros Brawl? Such a screen could list what characters you've beat the game with, if you got all the Chaos Emeralds, if you beat Extra Mode, etc.

I know Megamix isn't open to "requests", but I feel this isn't an unreasonable idea. It possibly might even be a good idea! =P

8. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Actually that's bugged me in Sonic games before - namely the Advance titles. For a game that requires you to unlock stuff by playing though as everyone, I'd say something like a check of what's been done and what hasn't should be a mandatory inclusion on some level.

9. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    And that would be where you went wrong.

10. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    I had one a few weeks ago, but I didn't bother mentioning it because I know they won't care.
    Everyone from the team can ignore below this line, while I question the technical feasibility of it.

It would be nice to have an option that uses the Sega CD scaling hardware to shrink the screen 75% horizontally and extend the viewable area, so that the aspect ratio of the game doesn't look stretched out on a widescreen TV and the PSP. Not sure how heavy it would be to (x>>1)+(x>>2) all of the sprite coordinates every frame, but I'd imagine it's far less work than playing a PCM stream from ROM. Is this even possible on the SegaCD hardware, or does scaling limit the graphical capabilities of the system such that whatever "mode" it uses would be incompatible with the graphical features normally used in a sonic game?

11. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    That's interesting, but I'm pretty sure that—at least for the PSP—you can edit the display settings so the game does not appear stretched. There's horizontal letterboxing, but it's pretty minor as you play through the game otherwise.

I don't personally know how worth it such a function would be, considering that, to my knowledge, you'd have to be shrinking the entirety of VRAM for everything that gets displayed on screen in that manner. Considering all the dynamic art we have and the fact that it would have to be downscaled each frame whilst being transferred into VRAM, this would be some pretty heavy—and largely unnecessary—overload that doesn't necessarily justify the end product.

I think your best bet to achieve the effect you want would be to write an emulator that supports a wider screen resolution for the system. Short of that, I have no idea what to tell you.

12. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    The problem is the fact that to do that, well, Megamix would be entering the realm of software rendering already, because the scanline FX functionality is for bitmaps, which are then loaded as tiles into VRAM =/ It's impossible to stretch layers per-se because the VDP isn't touched. So to do that, Megamix would have to render it all to a bitmap, then load it all... and that's a major slowdown, especially since it's impossible to load it all in VRAM in a single frame, let alone also doing rendering.

13. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    I had thought of that as well. I know there were a few GameGear emulators for GBA that could do that, but I wasn't sure if the same trick would work on the Genesis. Maybe I'll look into it someday. You're right though, you can have black-borders on the PSP.

That's the kind of explanation I was looking for, thanks.

14. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    Can't you do what Sonic 2's two-player mode did, but horizontally? Sure, most emulators just cut out the lines, but some have an option to show it at real width.

15. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    No. 2 Player took advantage of the 320x448 video mode on the hardware, there is no horizontal equivalent.

16. Metal Knuckles

Metal Knuckles

HAVE SOME FUN WITH MIKU Member
    New Hampshire, USA
    Shadow Alpha, an awesome hack of Sonic 1
    Question: Was the running on water feature ever added to Megamix? I can't remember if Sonic had it, or Mighty (S3&K moveset), or anyone.

17. Eduardo Knuckles

Eduardo Knuckles

Not a loved one, but the most hated person. Banned
    Someplace somewhere
    Project S.A.M.G.
    I'm happy to see Megamix back too. This is my preferred hack, because this hack is awesome. I appreciate this hack a lot, so I think he deserves to be where it is: On the first place from the best hacks on the community!

18. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    I never really got in Misty Maze how you could go underwater and still see the top of the ocean in the background. :)

19. ShadowsofYesterday

ShadowsofYesterday

I have no idea what's going on. Member
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sonic and the Magic Hat
    This is Sonic. It barely needs to make any more sense than Dr. Seuss.

20. DTX

DTX

A fellow w/a name fit for nary a man save himself Member
    Lol, I feel like quoting you on that now.

Anyway, besides, Lobotomy, doesn't it look cooler that way ;P? Maybe even though you can see all that in the background it is separated from you by a cleverly contrived, so-overly-cleaned-with-Windex-that-it's-virtually-invisible glass wall. That's actually not so uncool. Sure, maybe it's a little uncool, but at least it isn't by very much. That and it's sort of cool too. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.