don't click here

WIP General Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Oct 2, 2008.

1. That clashes horribly with the Sonic art.

That's all I have to say.

2. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    I could've sworn the signpost had thicker, more rounded edges. Other than that it looks pretty good.

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I'm not a fan of those wobbly rings at all.... but then I liked the ringfinger-type rings =P

4. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
  5. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    I know this is still pretty early on, but I figured I'd post this to show that Vincent's tip is excellent (and to prove that I am working on it :P). Also, I was wondering if I should maybe try and make the edges beveled. They look like they're somewhat soft. Anyways, I hope I can get this looking great by the time I'm done with it.

[​IMG]

Before Vince pointed out how to use the live paint tool I was trying to make a checkered pattern with the rectangle button and then deforming it to match up, but that wasn't working out so well. I'm gonna start working on aligning the pattern towards the top of the loop since they don't match up with the original side pattern up there at the moment.

EDIT: Disregard the above image, this is the base shape.

[​IMG]

6. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Good start! ^^

The first thing to fix, is to align the "leading lines" to have squares correct in perspective, therefore reducing the notable difference of size for each block.
    Secondly the top of the twisted loop, is too squared while it should be naturally more curved.

7. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Does this CG signpost mean mywork on it is worthless?

8. No. I rendered it to see how the signpost would look, but as I expected there's no way to do a 3D render that's both consistent, has possible lighting (Ie, don't have to change the light source in each frame), and is also true to the original sprite. Mainly because of the shading, and the signpost changing size.

Vectoring it would solve all of these problems.

9. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    Yeah, I noticed that the top looked kinda sharp as well, and I know I'm going to be tweaking the "leading lines" more because I obsess over things. I still need to decide on what I want to do the shading like.

10. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Welcome to S2HD Gambit! ^__-

11. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    [​IMG]

So I've started working on the explosions that come with boss battles, however, I'm still searching a good way to do the red-orangy thing. This is way different from the small explosions which were basicly smoke. I thought I'd give you some progress.

12. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
  13. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    I think we should use a 2D vector sign post for the static frame but use CG for the spin to make it smoother.

14. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
  15. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    <!--quoteo(post=297408:date=Apr 4 2009, 01:20 PM:name=Phos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Phos @ Apr 4 2009, 01:20 PM) [​IMG]

16. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    How would that help? It would look incredibly obvious.

17. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    Alright, I've been tweaking this thing again and I decided to throw a few pieces of it together to see how it fit, and it didn't.... So I went back and messed with it again, and now it's pretty close to lining up along the edges. Just thought I'd post it to see what people have to say. Haven't worked on any shading yet, though.

[​IMG]

18. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
  19. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Awesome indeed Gambit!

Still, shape presents some errors I've marked in green.
    [​IMG]

-From left to right:

*The block is way too wide
    *The leading lines angle change is too sudden, and in that particular spot results into a broken square
    *The transition should be softer

20. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    It's pretty simple to make a model that actually looks like the vector art. It's a pretty simple object.