don't click here

Sonic and the Black Knight

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jul 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maybe the "hearing Sonic in the wind" thing from 06 was an attempt to justify this?

Oh who am I kidding. Should I count my blessings in that I've only been a fan since Sonic came to Nintendo hardware yet still recognize that the time before I came was better?

2. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    Well, I played it. Wanna hear my review? Want to? Okay, here goes (and I must stress, I enjoyed Unleashed):

IT BLOWS HARD

(Kickass soundtrack though. Really! It's great.)

(Edit: Just to avoid bitching, here's a little more detail for the "review". Great production values, great graphics, great music, great presentation, terribly horribly broken gameplay.)

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Sonic games seem to be great in everything except for what really matters. Kinda sucks huh?

4. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    You can guarantee that damn kiss is mentioned in any Kotaku post about Sonic, despite it happening nearly 3 years ago, none of the fanbase caring about it any more, nor the fact the entire thing was retconned out of existence. It's just a handy thing to add to the HURR LETS BASH SONIC LIKE EVERYONE ELSE THATS COOL RITE bandwagon.

5. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Well, if they're still using that as an insult, it kind of shows how out-of-touch they are in this instance if they can't find something new to run with.

6. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    They're obviously doing it for the sake of being "EDGY".

Also it's apparently cool to bash Sonic.

I really wonder how far this will go though. How many more low quality games can Sega make before the franchise tanks.

7. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    At the moment nothing's been announced but Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympics, which...I guess counts, maybe? I dunno.

It's obvious there's going to be another Storybook game, probably spring 2011. That's also the 20th anniversary, so there may be a followup to Unleashed that year.

In between? Who knows? Maybe another Sonic Rush in the fall, or a third Riders next spring.

8. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    I surprised nothing has been leaked yet. =P

9. If Sonic is anything like Mega Man, they'll be celebrating the anniversary half a year before the actual anniversary.

I would be happy with either of these. They're not perfect, of course, but they're still the most enjoyable parts of the Sonic series I've played in the last decade.

10. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Agreed. I actually used SRZG's online mode for a while, and for a few days, was in first on several tracks. I liked it better than the first game. Rush was great, Rush Adventure pretty good, but a bit tedious at times. Still, both games are definitely higher points in the series as of late.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I know that there is a 90% chance this will never happen, but I really want a Sonic 4. It's such a simple idea, so why don't they ever try it D:

12. The Pulse

The Pulse

GLUTHAWK, KING OF THE HAWKS Member
    I blame 4kids. On second thought, scratch that. I'll blame Spax3 instead.

Watch now as he attempts to sue Retro for using his name therefore making us laugh our fucking asses of.

13. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    You know, if the cut scenes for SatBK had have been fully animated, it would have been the biggest source of YTP material since Hotel Mario.

Aquaslash: SatBK might be the game that does it. It sort of did it for me, unless a game very closley matches my desires from early on, I'm not even going to pay attention to it.

Specifically, it's something you could call Sonic 4.

14. I don't think the franchise is going to "tank" any time soon, unfortunately / fortunately. Even Pac-Man still manages to continue bringing in money. Sonic is still profitable (which is why they put him in all sorts of easily-marketable situations).

Of course, if you're talking about his reputation in the gaming scene, it's probably already too late.

You'd be surprised. Behold, the Internet makes you stupid.

15. Cap

Cap

Review from Gametraliers
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/46663.html
    It got 5.7 for those who can't be bothered watching.

Although, the review does make a nice use some in game lines. Such as after saying why they though the game was bad, knuckles says something like "the only repentence, is death" They throw quite a few of those in there actually.

16. Ice Sonic

Ice Sonic

Ice Cap
    No, I am not working on any hack, fanart, or website.
    I saw it yesterday.
    Gameplay: 3.0 - that's one of the lowest ratings ever. ;)

17. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator

I would never want such a thing in this day and age unless the great members of the original Sonic Team made it. Other-wise, chances are, it'd be another childhood ruined for millions.

And to throw my opinion out, I liked the Black Knight. Gameplay annoyances for sure, but I could look past that. The main things that bugged me were...

1. On one of the extra missions, where you have to give 100 Rings to civillians. It goes 2-D on these huge Wagon things, and the controls are broken as crap.

2. One of the final stages, *where you have to put the 4 swords in a square around the land* with the lava that bursts up out of nowhere. Right after getting past the lava, there would be some enemies. They'd bat me back into the lava, and I could not escape. I went through this stage 30 times, NO EXAGGERATION. I was close to giving up for good.

3. No clear definition of Swordplay in Character Battles.. Using the techniques I applied to the King Arthur battle *when you have to waggle the Wiimote at a certain time*, I could not for the love of me get past the Character Battles with that. I had to slash and hope. I swing the Remote when it prompts, yet I always lose. There's no explanation of what I'm doing wrong.

18. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    So woot, it's release day, and I bought it. Played it a couple hours so far.

All I have to say right now is that this is a great combination of the gameplay from Secret Rings and Unleashed. To me the gameplay seems like a combination of the night and day stages in Unleashed as you can be moving fast on rails and then stop or go slowly for that hack'n'slash.

So far I have only three problems with it but none are too bad:
    - Rival battles pretty much consist of flinging your arm like a madman. There's no real strategy involved at all. In fact I did worse when I was actually trying to avoid being hit and figure out a strategy.
    - I miss the charge jump from Secret Rings - not because of the charge itself, but because pressing the jump button while in the air would make you immediately land, which could be very useful. Obviously this is used for homing attack but they could have put it on a different button.
    - The B button being a toggle for soul surge is horribly laggy. It would be a lot better if you just held it down for surge and released to go back to normal, so that it would enter surge mode ASAP instead of not entering at all if the game wasn't ready to enter it when you pressed the button. This is, of course, made more annoying by the fact that the surge meter is timed, as I have to wait til I can actually see I'm in surge mode, wasting valuable time on that meter.

So until the hype wears off, I'm gonna say "THIS IS THE BEST 3D SONIC EVAR LOL".

19. Lizam

Lizam

Lizam Member
    Australia
    Mario & Sonic: Worlds Clash
    Press A again after a homing attack and you will plummet into the ground like in Secret Rings ^.~

20. Rokkan

Rokkan

Game is shit.
    Come on guys, what Secret Rings has that it's so wrong? Invisible walls? Sonic Unleashed has them, but they're not invisible. On-rail thing? Why should it matter if there's no need to go back in the new Sonic games? You're very slow at start? Clear the game and see how fast and how many awesome skills you've got.
    And Black Knight uses the same engine but throws everything that made SatSR good away. Good level design? Throw it away, who needs a good level design when you can make a plain stage with no alternativa path and a few enemy and object placements and slap in some rails? Wait, did I say a few? No, let's make it like that: Each kilometer Sonic runs through, he has to face a horde of enemies. Should be very fun, except that you can't attack and keep your speed, no, that would be too easy. Also, have Sonic only use like 4 or 5 different attacks, we don't need too many attacks like Werehog has, right?
    Also, you know that Skill system that SatSR had that made it so great? Yeah, we don't need that either - Who needs that when you can have a much more restrict item system and the option to choose three more different characters in a certain point of the storyline which gameplays feel just wrong? Also, no freedom to those who actually enjoyed playing as Gawain - Restrict those characters to only four missions and that's it.

The game's crappyness can be illustrated by a certain point of the stage after the fake clearing: There are you, Sonic the Hedgehog, finally running around, without needing to stop to defeat enemies, because those flying enemies do not block your way, going too fast and then you jump into a boat ride of 3km/h. This is the perfect illustration of how the game was frustrating to me - It could have been good, it could have been awesome. Secret Rings was, why shouldn't this one be? But it's just not. This game is absolutely wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.