don't click here

Main Character Art

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    If we're going for that Authentic Old-School Sonic Feel™, I'd suggest diagonals as well. Adding them can't hurt (except the animator having to do them :P), as they'll improve how a fully 360° rotated sprite would look as well.

2. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    Xenowhirl made a great tool called rotsprite, to rotate a sprite (what a surprise :p) without getting something ugly like in paint. It could be used.

3. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Graphics Gale can rotate sprites too, but I'll check out rotsprite later today as well. Thanks for the suggestions!

4. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    About rotation: yes, please use the classic 8 directions. 360° rotation = NO.

5. I'm pretty sure that the 2D games use computer-rotated sprites which are then touched up a little to keep good quality?

Aside from Advance, which tries to show off real time sprite rotating in the worst way possible.

6. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
  7. fifthelephant

fifthelephant

No point trying to reason with him STHX, despite the fact that Rave, you, Tweaker and others have said it's a bad sprite (and for god's sake it's the original sprite that we like, the one chimpo himself created) he still thinks the edit is better.

You're not even being constructive anymore Chimpo, I thought your arrogance was due to your abilities as a pixel artist but now I see that you're just being a dick for the sake of it. People want the best from the project, they just weren't the first to speak up about the new version of the sprite so you just ran with it. It's time to cast some sort of vote, because you're going to perhaps have several good sprite artists drop out (like I have) because they don't want to play as some down syndrome rat faced sonic.

8. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    If I'm 100% honest, I actually do not see what is wrong with using the original Sonic 3 sprites with this. So what if they're used in the previous game, add new animations to it for the various needs and we have a perfect sprite. Update the colours/shading if necessary too.

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    It wasn;t so much "showing off" as it was being lazy and using the GBA sprite rotation hardware rather than drawing angles for the sprites.

10. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    I'm pretty sure it was something like "look at what the GBA can do!"
    They used a lot of rotation, zoom and mode 7 for the first GBA games, because of that.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Sonic 2 basically used Sonic 1 sprites with some modifications. Tails's sprites were reused in almost every original 2D Sonic game (Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Crackers). I just say reuse the Sonic 3 ones, maybe with updated shading and some slight modifications.

12. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Rotsprite makes them come out great. Graphics gale rotation makes it look like a pixellated mess. The touch up work will be much easier with Rotsprite

13. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    Ok I'm back guys. I made a huge fix with the idle, I think you'll all be pleased. I thought it over and outlined the problems with the head people have been having. One sec, this is probably the winning ticket.

EDIT: Wait a sec, one more fix.

[​IMG]

There.

14. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

With this latest one, I do feel the spikes seem like they've been filed down. They're... Not spiky, essentially. If this could be fixed, though, then it'd be a winner for me. The face now looks excellent, and the flaws of the last few versions have been overcome in that respect.

15. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    Working on it.

16. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    We're looping back to the original problem—the spikes are too short. I maintain that Cinossu's edit solved this problem entirely, and it should be kept within the main sprite.

17. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    I preferred the two pixels on the eye. Especially on the tapping sprite.

18. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    Here.
    [​IMG]
    Fused mine and Cinossu's quills.

Ugh, I'm at a loss. I'm done trying to edit this thing then. I can't get the perfect medium for everyone to like. I'm gonna start on the other poses in the meantime.

Chimpo, I agree but some people prefer his eyes smaller. I'm just trying to please everyone I can. :/

19. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    <!--quoteo(post=272918:date=Jan 26 2009, 09:41 PM:name=Tweaker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweaker @ Jan 26 2009, 09:41 PM) [​IMG][​IMG]

20. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing