don't click here

Sonic 2D Blast?

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Soselocke, Nov 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Also, the homing thing, if possible it'd have to just home into enemies, and not the monitors.

2. GIHunter

GIHunter

Well, having the homing shield being S3K's fire sheild would confuse the players and make them think that it makes them invulnerable to fire. Instead we may as well just stick to the way it is in S3DB. The homing attack should not home in on monitors, and when there are no enemies in range, it shoots Sonic down like the bubble shield, without the upwards bounce.

3. Another few things I figured out.

The S&K Death Egg Zone has a Spin Dash mechanism (used with those appearing tubes) which would be perfect for those loop chargers you see all the time in S3DB.

How will we do the chutes that go with the goal rings? Also will the bosses use the standard Eggmobile with additional "robotic shells?"

4. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    So I have to ask....

I see all this ideas being thrown around, all the sprites being made, but, is there even anyone gonna work on this or even program the thing?

5. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Fire shield was chosen (this is a guess, not accurate) because it already has jump dash capabilities, which can be made into homing. The art would be changed, ofcourse.

6. GIHunter

GIHunter

I just finished this:
    [​IMG]
    Made with MSPaint using S3K's Sonic palette, based off the second screen in S3DB. Any comments, questions, or suggestions?
    Also, seriously, could somebody with hacking knowledge please help us? This hack needs to get off the ground sometime this century.

7. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Dithering would get you a little extra gradation out of that palette

8. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Which is why my question still stands.....

9. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
  10. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    Sonic is pretty ugly in the original's title screen. Probably the ugliest Sonic of all the Genesis titles. I don't think it will be easy to fix this thing.

11. synchronizer

synchronizer

In the concept sketch I made, I just turned those into spin tubes, such as the S tube at the end of Green Hill Zone. As for the bosses, probably like you said, there would be one egg-mobile with added shells. Sonic 2 actually did this I believe.

HACKERS! CALLING ALL HACKERS! IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO HELP OUT PLEASE DO!

12. All except CNZ, and a few obvious ones.

And also, Sik, is there some way of viewing each sprite seperately to see what you mean by the two palettes? I'm having no luck finding anything in the Xplosiv version.

13. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Yeah, get an emulator that can disable the layers. The background uses both scrolls. The options use the sprites.

14. Wow, is this even being worked on anymore??

I was looking forward to this.

15. Same. It pretty much died the same time as my laptop, when I got it working again nothing had changed...

16. synchronizer

synchronizer

In order for this to really get off the ground, some hackers must help I believe.

17. snkenjoi

snkenjoi

Tech Member
    lolwut

Why don't you actually do something yourself? It's not hard - you already have some art, and there are guides that will hold your hand through putting that art into the game. You seem to be just waiting for someone to come along and make the hack for you, just noting your ideas and requesting that someone fulfills them won't get you anywhere. Don't expect people to want to help with other aspects of it if you arn't willing to make initial/any contributions yourself past the ideas phase.

And maybe if you acknowledged people trying to help you, they'd be more motivated to contribute? So far, you've completely ignored the only real contribution.

18. Yuzu

Yuzu

I agree with snkenjoi, there really is no reason not to hack this in anyways, there's already tutorials on the SCHG(and How To) part of the wiki, including SonMapED, most of the beginner ones are written in normal english too(such as Qjimbo's guides) so they are easily understandable to new users. So, just give it a go, that's all I can really say. I'm not really into much hacking, but I do find it easier than most programming languages, and pretty similiar too.

19. synchronizer

synchronizer

I'm not a project leader or a programmer (I wish), but I was just someone who got interested in this and decided to try making some art. Also, I'm a PPC MAC user, (and the majority of hacking programs seem to only run on Windows Operating Systems, but I am not fully sure if any compatible programs exist), but as I said earlier in the topic, I would be happy to help out with any level layouts. If there was a way for me to hack on my computer with a programming tutorial I could follow, I would love to give it a try. Actually, that would be great for me, since I have some Zone ideas I would like to put to use in a hack I would create, and if I could learn to place art, and change layouts it would really be wonderful. I would appreciate any help learning if it is possible to do on my computer.

20. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    Well, as long as you emulate the compiled ROM under the native MacOS X, using Tile Layer Pro, SonED2, and the split disassembly has been totally usable under VirtualPC 7 for PowerPC OS X over here. I do this on both a 600MHz G3 iBook, and a 1.67GHz Aluminum Powerbook.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.