don't click here

Sonic 2D Blast?

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Soselocke, Nov 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soselocke

Soselocke

MEEP MEEP MEEP Banned
    I've always loved the music for Sonic 3D Blast (for Genesis and Saturn), but never really liked the game so much. I always wondered why no one tried to make a 2D conversion of it... I mean, you've got the music... the zones are split up into 2 acts, much like Sonic 2... the Special Stages aren't much different so they could be kept the same... the only problem I could see is perhaps the whole Flicky ordeal. Level editing is something that can be done, but I know the Flickies would present some programming problems... anyway, has anyone ever thought of doing this? It just seems like a hack idea that makes you smack your head and go, "D'oh!".

2. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    I like it.

The De-isometrisation Project.

3. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    I very much like the sound of this idea, I'd tackle it myself if I had more free time, but I simply don't.
    I hope someone else might though =P

4. Soselocke

Soselocke

MEEP MEEP MEEP Banned
    I also wish someone would use a 16-bit version of the Saturn 3D Blast music. I've yet to hear any interpretation of it and it's a shame because it's one of the better soundtracks out there.

Although, I guess that would take the quality of it away... but, whatever.

5. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I did a Genesis version of the Panic Puppet tune from the Saturn version of Sonic 3D once. It was for Sonic the Hedgehog Remix, though I haven't seen it used anywhere yet.

6. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Oh no you don't. I'm not doing yet another musical project...

It would probably be kinda fun and I know that midis exist.

7. Soselocke

Soselocke

MEEP MEEP MEEP Banned
    Well, I browsed a bit and came up with this.

Unfortunately though, it's only about 34% of the complete S3DB Saturn soundtrack. :/

8. MKAmeX

MKAmeX

California
    Needlemouse, Sonic Boom, Graphic Design
    To tell the truth, this was going to be my next hack after Mr. Needlemouse is finished. I think it should be done, as 3D blast got a lot of hate, and I'm sure it'd be a hit! Perhaps a project similar to Sonic 2 LD is in order? :psyduck:

9. OverKlockD

OverKlockD

Why not make it a sonic 1 hack with donkey kong snes style graphics, pallette limitations could be a problem though (unless you use sonic 1 32x maybe?)

10. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    <!--quoteo(post=241633:date=Nov 5 2008, 12:34 PM:name=OverKlockD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OverKlockD @ Nov 5 2008, 12:34 PM) [​IMG]
    What do I win?

11. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
  12. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    That game was playable except for that water level. THAT was bad. Other than that it was decent.

'Sides, the GG equivalent of Sonic & Knuckles deserves some love. Pity they didn't try to make it more like Chaos or Triple Trouble, though. Those graphics don't work too well on GG/SMS.

13. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I actually agree with Phoebius here, Sonic Blast was crap.

Back on the topic of a Sonic 2D Blast, meh, I always thought the Genesis soundtrack is better than its Saturn counterpart, so I wouldn't be in for the SMPSification process, sorry guys.

14. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    Always hated pre-rendered stuff, personally. It looks so messy and lacks the charm of sprites that have been drawn pixel-by-pixel. I would have liked the Mario vs Donkey Kong games far more if they'd just used the same art style as Super Mario World. Besides, Sonic's never looked that good in 3D.

15. Soselocke

Soselocke

MEEP MEEP MEEP Banned
    Would I get my username in the credits of a future Sonic 2D Blast project? >.>

16. Yuzu

Yuzu

Makes me wonder if the water level is completable, it's impossible. Thank god I played it on Mega Collection Plus. If I bought it I would be pissed off.

17. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Your biggest problem would be the level porting. I'm having issues seeing how you would take an isometric level layout and put it into 2D and keeping similar layouts.

18. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I've beaten it before, but it is nearly impossible if you haven't done it before.

19. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Time paradox? This is like saying that virgins can't have sex.

20. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    You guys are pussies. It only takes one or two lives to get through the water level for the first time.

I think you'd basically have to scrap the idea of keeping the same layouts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.