don't click here

Sonic 2D Blast?

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Soselocke, Nov 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JennyTablina

JennyTablina

Oldbie
    Interested in this project and might be willing to help out. I'm no hacker but I'll see what I can do

2. Hate to break it to you guys, but most of the people who would LIKE to hack it wouldn't know how to do the dimension ring things, let alone any other gimmicks and shit. Pherhaps if we leavethis, someone who can be fucked goes of and learns the whole ASM shit, and comes back and does... something.

Jeez.

3. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Its called: Learn now. Its not that hard.

4. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    Honestly, just try and learn ASM.

I never even bothered with it, because I took one look at it, and got confused. It's honestly one of the simplest things ever to do though. Pretty much every command does exactly what it's name implies.

I tried to mess with it for just a few minutes, and I already understand how to use it somewhat.

5. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    All of this bandwagoning on one comment is getting annoying. Yes, we get it—you're telling someone else to learn ASM. We heard you the first time. That's well and nice, but you have to realize these people are designers and artists, not programmers. There is a large difference between a logical mind and a creative mind, and the two don't always go together. That's why this is a group project in the first place—so different people with different skills can come together and make an idea reality. That's the beauty in it.

All this elitist "do it yourself" bullshit isn't helpful, isn't constructive, and just serves to be annoying. The fact that one of you said that "It's easy, but I didn't learn it because it was too confusing" is just... wow, what?

That said, I certainly appreciate the stuff snkenjoi did for the project so far; in fact, I even suggested privately that he try and do programming for this project. He may be busy at the moment with his own project, but if you guys acknowledge him a bit more, he may put time aside in the future to work on this. And I think we can all agree that could only be a good thing. :(

6. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
  7. filmzombie

filmzombie

The real spindash... Member
    England- The Land of Tea
    Sonic Synthesis
    Well, I may not be a programmer or hacker but on the art side I may try and contribute some sprite art ideas for 2d Blast gimmicks.

This game would have been brilliant if they had just taken the 3D aspect out of it.

And I've just realised, in terms of base levels Blast almost fits in with Sonic 1 perfectly.

Green Grove- Green Hill
    Rusty Ruin- Labyrinth
    Spring Stadium- Spring Yard
    Diamond Dust- Green Hill
    Volcano Valley- Marble
    Gengore Gadget- Scrap Brain
    Panic Puppet- Scrap Brain

Well...almost (poor Star Light...)

I am rooting for this one though. I see lots of potential.

Just noticed this. Again, I'm not a hacker but going back to the idea of using Sonic 1 as a base would it be at all possible to make it so that Sonic has to go through the Special rings to complete stages instead of using ? The exact game wouldn't have to be identical after all. Or would making that work be too difficult to achieve from the programming perspective?

I would have assumed the difficult part would be redesigning the bosses for 2d Blast environments. However, I guess like I just said it doesn't have to be perfect.

In response to my own message though I guess Star Light could be used after all as a base for The Final Fight (heck...just take away the background and smear it black, who would notice?)

8. synchronizer

synchronizer

I agree with your list except for Rusty Ruin. The level theme is almost identical to Marble Zone, so that might be a better base to work with.

9. filmzombie

filmzombie

England- The Land of Tea
    Sonic Synthesis
    Hmm...I would disagree. I'd say the regular gimmicks, obstacles and background of Labyrinth/Scrap Brain Act 3 fit better with Rusty Ruin then Marble. Take away the water, change the pallette and its almost a perfect fit in fact.

However, I did consider Marble Zone initially but then if memory serves even if you do manage to take away the lava if memory serves orrectly then Rusty Ruin wasn't really about caverns and grassy plains.

10. synchronizer

synchronizer

Maybe I was comparing the art. You are right in that aspect. The fire-breathing statues would fit, but the spinning fans are new objects entirely.

11. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    To be honest I'd rather go for using Sonic 2 as a base, one reason is that the Saturn Special Stages could easily be recreated, even if it is just new art. In fact plenty of S3D objects could be recreated simply by modifying existing ones from the disassemblies we have.
    I'd love to participate in this project but unfortunately I'm useless right now, that and my ASM skills are basic.

12. JennyTablina

JennyTablina

Oldbie
    As I said yesterday I wouldn't mind giving the programming a shot, though I admit I cant make any promises. If not that I would love to work on the sprites as I have plenty prior experience : 3

Already thinking about the sprites and taking into account the ideas already there. My only concern is that graphics have to fit the original graphic sizes don't they? Or is changing size of level objects and the like not that hard?

I should maybe make a sig and avatar to make myself more visible XD

13. filmzombie

filmzombie

England- The Land of Tea
    Sonic Synthesis
    Okay, hoping this image host works.

In terms of revamping the bosses for the 2D level layouts how about this concept for the Green Grove boss?

[​IMG]

Of course, don't bother caring about the artwork size or sprites. I just use art for concepts. However, here Robotnik can use the chutes from either side of the screen to drop the spiked ball, it rolls from side to side until obviouselly it stops somewhere on the flat plain, at which point Sonic hits Robotnik (as per usual) when he reaches down to pick it up.

However, just to make it that little bit more difficult- if a programmer could do it the boss could also move that little bit faster after each hit, just like in Blast thus making it feel more challenging.

(If anyone can do it the glass smash on the eggdome would be a cool effect as well :v:

14. synchronizer

synchronizer

Very nice concept. Maybe the arena could be a bit larger, but basically this would be good.
    Those WOULD be some cool effects.

I have an idea for the Rusty Ruin boss:

Like the Zone 2 boss in Sandopolis Zone (Sonic 3 and Knuckles), for extra challenge the boss could crush you against the wall if you don't hurry. The hand could just be one platform that goes up and down, plus on the last few hits, spikes could pop up out of the hand if you are not quick enough, which means you would have to react more quickly. These additions would probably compensate for the loss of the difficulty. (Jumping on the hand would be easier on a 2d plane than on an isometric one.)

What do you think?

15. synchronizer

synchronizer

Not AGAIN! The post was doubled and I only clicked once. (I need to be more careful). Anyway, this post is unnecessary.

16. Malevolence

Malevolence

Tech Member
    It shouldn't be difficult at all to make the ball bouncing if necessary and have the boss exactly like the S3D one except on a flat surface (well, 2d is what I meant).

17. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Remember that there are several bosses (mainly in Sonic 2) where the screen isn't fixed but there's a small scroll area. Probably that'll be useful for recreating the Green Grove boss.

18. filmzombie

filmzombie

England- The Land of Tea
    Sonic Synthesis
    Here's a better level design if we were to use the Sonic 1 backkdrop.

[​IMG]

And I agree with this, I think it would be neccessary because I've realised a slight flaw with this design (for the challenge factor anyway), which is that Sonic could use the curves to spindash to hit the boss. The only two ways I can think of avoiding this is by either making Robotnik dissapear momentarily after he launches the ball or alternatively make it more difficult by doing what you've just suggessted.

However, another idea springs to mind for this boss. If you all remember in the original fights it was impossible to damage Robotnik below the glass shield. Perhaps it should be the same for these bosses?

19. filmzombie

filmzombie

England- The Land of Tea
    Sonic Synthesis
    Okay Syncroniser I took your concept for using the Sandopolis and I came up with this.

[​IMG]

Now, of course this version of the Rusty Ruin boss wouldn't be able to move. However, the reason I chose to basically make him one with the wall was because in Blast I always felt that's what made him good.

Naturally though, encase the gun barrel and hand crushing wasn't hard enough, as you can see I snuck in a little extra pit there just to make things interesting.

By the way I must also apologise since to re-create the feel of this boss I studied his attack patterns on youtube...only to discover Rusty Ruin is a lot like Marble Zone after all because there is in fact grass. So yes, in terms of art you were right Synchroniser and I apoligse. However, I still feel that Labyrinth would best be suited to zone somehow.

If anybody else wants me to do concept art by the way, feel free to ask. I may not be a hacker but damn it, I'll always have MS Paint!

(More bosses soon to follow.)

20. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    So wait, What? You're NOT going to use new art at all anymore..?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.