don't click here

Sonic 2 LD

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by doc eggfan, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Copy the piece of code that waits for the swapping into RAM and run it from there =P

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    You're missing the whole "how do you switch the carts over while keeping the RAM alive" thing =P

3. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    It could be designed for emulators for the moment, and then after the merge it would be appropriate for real hardware.

Is that a cop-out? It is a bit isn't it.

4. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Oh, now I understood:
    Do you mean in an emu? Oops, I was thinking in real hardware, where that isn't a problem :psyduck:

5. While personally I'm getting a little tired of playing Sonic 2 hacks, this is pretty damn inovative. So I'm not going to discourage your awesomeness, sir. ^_^

6. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    Except this is one of the only two Sonic 2 hacks there are, you know.

7. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    You're joking, right? There's literally a multitude of Sonic 2 hacks that have been created over the years. If you mean the 8-bit games specifically, then yes, this is true; but Sonic 2 in general has been "overhacked" for a while, at least a few years back. Sonic 1 seems to hold that title these days—probably due to the comprehensive disassembly and tutorials available—but Sonic 2 used to be hacked by pretty much every new member that popped in the community.

8. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Looks like Authur was talking about 16-bit Sonic 2 and P.P.A about 8-bit Sonic 2 ;)

9. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    I only meant the true, superior version of Sonic 2.

10. HyperShadowDC

HyperShadowDC

Oldbie
    That's right... even I made a sonic 2 hack...

11. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    I think he was talking about the 8-Bit Sonic 2.

12. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    I'm pretty sure he was.

13. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    ...what?

OK, now I'm confused. Let me spell out what I am getting at here, on hardware:

User completes Cart A.
    User now has to switch to Cart B.
    There is NO WAY to keep data between the two without possibly keeping it in RAM.
    RAM only lasts while the console is switched on.
    You CANNOT SWITCH CARTS with the power on.

See what I'm getting at now? =P

14. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Why can't you switch carts with power on? I know manuals say that, but as far as I know, that's mainly because the game code is run directly from the cart. That's like saying that you can't remove a CD while the computer is on =P As long as the piece of running code is in RAM you can switch the carts without harming the hardware. Or am I missing something?

15. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    There's a power spike that occurs when there's a change in the insertion/removal of a cartridge on the system. There was a topic about this in the general gaming forum at one time.

Anyway, long story short my understanding is that this power spike WOULD be able to damage the system.

I mean, arguably this sort of thing can be done between Sonic 2 and 3 to enable level select so it is POSSIBLE but I wouldn't want to damage my system in the process after doing it for such a long time.

16. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    Ding. Remember kids - health & safety warnings are occasionally based in truth rather than cotton-wooling everything.

Oh, sure, it's POSSIBLE. You won't see me doing it though. I value my stuff.

17. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Please don't tell me the power spike you're talking about is the VCC pin used to give power to the ROM so it can give out data, because in that case then it isn't really a big deal (otherwise powering off the console would break it up too!).

18. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Switching cartridges with the console on ISN'T safe, period. Think about the power switch on the original Game Boy. Why bother making it with that weird shape if it wasn't for a good reason?

19. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    I did the Sonic 2 -> Sonic 3 cart switch quite alot, ended up killing my Sonic 3 cart. :P

20. Adam2k7

Adam2k7

Walsall UK
    Sonic Adventures EX, Sonic 2 Redemption Edition
    Hi there, just to verify... Switch Cart while system powered up is BAD It killed the save ram on two copies of Sonic 3 that I had - bloody level select I could never do it so I used to swap S2 out for S3 and do it that way only problem is like I said after a while they wouldnt save anymore :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.