don't click here

Music Remastered

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Athelstone, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magitek

Magitek

USA
    I don't think that will provide that much of a savings, because you wouldn't need to keep that much in buffer anyway, so you're safer to always be buffering in case the buffering hiccups so you still have slack to make it smooth. Plus having a constant buffer will allow for the speed shoes effect to be toggled whenever you want to in a debuging sense (I know that part doesn't really matter)

2. PlasmaNuke

PlasmaNuke

NY
    Surviving.
    Does anyone know a good place to find sheet music?

3. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    There are the midis from the Sonic 2 mobile phone games, and I think that's the best you're likely to find.

4. scubaSteve

scubaSteve

Sonic 2HD - Music Coordinator Member
    OH, US
    http://gh.ffshrine.org/ has loads of MIDIs available for Sonic 2 (though some of them are inaccurate, so watch out)... they also have a sheet music section on the site, but I can't check it right now as the site seems to be down...

Also, if you're fine with writing by ear, I ripped every individual track of each song, which you can find in each song's section on the database.

5. PlasmaNuke

PlasmaNuke

NY
    Surviving.
    Thanks, I found some sheet music at http://gh.ffshrine.org/ :D

6. PlasmaNuke

PlasmaNuke

NY
    Surviving.
    I'm working on CPZ, it's working out great so far. I'm trying to decide whether or not putting a phaser effect is too "over the top".

7. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Didn't Steve already do CPZ, though? I mean, far be it from me to discourage you, but it might be a better idea to try and cover a track that nobody has attempted yet...

8. PlasmaNuke

PlasmaNuke

NY
    Surviving.
    Er.. then you might want to change the descrip.

EDIT: Forget it, my version doesn't even come close to competing with his :argh:
    So which ones haven't been done? Quick, before Steve gets to it XD

9. Magitek

Magitek

USA
    I'd disagree with that, just because someone has done it already doesn't mean someone else shouldn't try it. Currently Steve's version isn't perfect and so I think if anyone thinks they can do a better job, go ahead and do it. For instance, on CPZ specifically, mario's version was coming along great and improved upon some of steve's version's shortcomings, and actually, I'd really like to know what happened to mario and his version.

For instance, mario's version had a better mix as far as the power of the bassline [F#][+F#][+E][+F#][F#]... (+ means one octave up relatively speaking), and Steve's version omits all of the percussion during the first few seconds of the song (yeah, I know he probably did that to give it a feeling of 'kicking in' ) plus not to mention the overall "technoization" of the song, of which the appropriateness of this style is still being discussed. The other thing that is a little weird with Steve's version is how it sounds like he is only playing the famous CPZ chord [F#][+A] twice per grouping instead of the 3 times that can be heard in the OST (e.g. FM Channel 1)

Here's a crappy ASCII notation of what I meant to say:

Code (Text):
    2. OST:     do-do-do .... dodo-dodo-dodoooo
    3. Steve's: do-doooo .... dooo-dooo-doooooo
    So anyway, just my $0.02...

10. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Well, I'd still like to hear yours for sure, I was just a bit confused is all. Please, do post it. :argh:

11. PlasmaNuke

PlasmaNuke

NY
    Surviving.
  12. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    ...:x

Yeah, I'm sorry, that's... not too good. I don't recommend FL Slayer in any context.

13. PlasmaNuke

PlasmaNuke

NY
    Surviving.
    Hm, I'm going to have to go through all the instruments, either way, good instruments or bad, it won't compare at all to Steve's.

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...I can't say I like the latest version of Metropolis that has been posted. The main guitar parts sound way too different than the original, making some of them even annoying in my oppinion.

And there's that ear-piercing dundundundundundundun.

15. scubaSteve

scubaSteve

Sonic 2HD - Music Coordinator Member
    OH, US
    Have you listened to the second version I submitted a while back? It solved all (I think) of the 'missing parts' issues, most notably the stuff at the beginning. Also, the chords are separated properly, but due to there being a release envelope it admittedly makes the separations a bit difficult to hear. Anyhow, I'm intending to do another version completely from scratch at some point since the current version seems to be fairly polarizing, and I'm not sure that I can just tweak a version that everyone will like out of it.

OK, I'm just going to recommend that you not post such an early WIP, because there's virtually nothing for us to go on as far as giving advice... Also, are you saying you're just going through instrument presets? Be a man, program your synths and beats :(
    Seriously, that's the best way to do it if you want the best results...

Oh shit, I hope you weren't working on Aquatic Ruin. (Oh man, I'm an ass.)
    Seriously though, I'm pretty happy with this one. As usual, I'm not sure if it quite nails the vibe of the original track, and I'm also not completely happy with the lead trumpets, as I may have overdone the delay effect a little.... that, and 99% of sampled brass sound extremely inauthentic :)

And, as I'm sure some of you have heard already from the last TD release, here's Super Sonic. Please rest assured, that somewhat miserable synth at the end was something I threw in at the last second before LOst released the tech demo, and I'll definitely be replacing it...

16. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    ARZ has some of my favorite music in the entire game, and you've more than done it justice with that piece. I will echo what you mentioned about it being a tad on the brassy side though. Given my -extremely- limited experience with music creation and editing, I would wonder if you could just EQ down the frequencies a bit to compensate for that. In any case, you've proven yourself to be the expert on these things time and time again, so I can't wait for your next offerings.

17. Mindchamber

Mindchamber

wow, scuba steve, Your pieces just pull me in and never lets go. It really takes effort to hit the stop button,
    thanks for that

18. Magitek

Magitek

USA
    I listened to whatever was uploaded to the database as of Saturday. Right now that you pointed out that there's an updated version I looked through your post history and I only found an update back on July 16, and it sounds like the one from the database, but I feel that my note about the percussion still stands. According to FM Channel 6, all percussion instruments are present from the beginning, so yea, I mean, if you want to leave that in as artistic expression, then I guess we can discuss that, but I just wanted to point that missing drum on the first round in case you didn't notice. :)

19. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    That isn't bad, but it just feels empty, especially compared to this version that someone posted a good while back

20. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    The brass isn't horrible, it's just empty. I'd suggest seriously trying to add some widely panned reverb to both the guitar (which was originally an epiano, and sort of sounds better that way...), the flute, and the saxophone (which originally had a synth string overlaid with it to give it depth). It might also help to add some more chords—like strings or something—in general, because the song sounds very hollow at the moment. The original song is a lot more "epic," if that makes any sense. I know you're going for a latin flavor, but also remember that the song, whilst having latin influence, has a sort of paritally-orchestral "epic" feel to it. The original song is one of the most fantastically laid out in Sonic 2, using some of the best synths and a fair amount of string instruments. It's something worth keeping in mind when trying to cover it.

Also, you have a wrong note at about 19 seconds or so on the bass. =P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.