don't click here

Sonic 1 Megamix

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Dec 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I agree with Sonic 65 on the source code being released.

2. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    No, I don't agree on the source being released, that'd be retarded.
    It would eliminate all work anyone would put in a hack.

I know I'd never use the source myself, Because, If I wanted Megamix features, I'd figure out the coding myself.

3. Upthorn

Upthorn

TAS Tech Member
    I think I remember that crashing on hardware due to VDP badness? Maybe it got fixed, though.

4. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    I would mostly agree to the source being released... ...with the hope it'd lead to someone to attempt further work on continuing the hack, not so much 'lol I don't have to work to put in features'

5. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    Fuck, when did that happen?

6. Christuserloeser

Christuserloeser

I can't see why that would harm the hacking community... ?! The community would greatly benefit from it. It might even spark a revolution with everyone sharing their code and tools.

- These games (all games!) should have been released under the GPL to begin with. Imagine you guys never would have had to reverse engineer these things to begin with.

7. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    Looks like someone wasn't around half a decade ago when general purpose hacking tools for Sonic games were abundant.

8. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    Because nobody's hack would be special in any way, shape, or form.

9. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    Homing attack in every hack. Light dash in every hack. DFZ Boss in every hack, in every zone. S3 Shields in every hack. Sonic, Shadow, Mighty, Tails and Knuckles in every hack. Do I need to go on?

10. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    ...I hope some of you didn't take my comment seriously. It was entirely in jest.

No, open source is a horrible idea. No thank you.

11. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    You make RMS cry :(

12. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    While I do think that releasing the source for the entire game is silly, I do think it would be good if Stealth could release the basic Sonic 1 for MEGACD port. It would be a great base for new hacks.

13. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    Or, alternatively, said hacks could simply implement it using the already publicly available Sonic CD programming knowledge that no one seems to know about for some reason.

We aren't planning on doing anybody's work for them.

14. Rainer

Rainer

Fixed.

15. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    I think in this case it's more about encouraging people to make these sorts of hacks so anyone can play them on a MegaCD unit, rather than about doing other peoples work. I can see where you're coming from, but at the same time, I think there are exceptions when something really nice could come out of it.

Unfortunately, if you hadn't already noticed, people seem to be enjoying over-analysing what you say in this thread for some reason...

16. pokecapn

pokecapn

My God, it's as though you'd have to judge romhacks based on their level design and art direction rather than the gimmick of the month! We can't have that!

17. Upthorn

Upthorn

TAS Tech Member
    Well, y'know. If making an acclaimed romhack (or fangame) took any creativity, this whole community would fall apart at the seems in a day. Can't have that, can we?

18. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    Well, Megamix was what brought me here a few days ago, and while I have encountered a bug or two, it was pretty fun. It's a crying shame that this project's been discontinued for good. I would've loved to get my hands on a final release that was totally awesome.

EDIT: Hey, mind if I put this release up on Hacktube? I see v3.0 is still up there, but I'm just wondering.

19. bookman the stinky

bookman the stinky

literal trash Member
    the dong
    find motivation
    Graphical hiccups such as the Special Stage results screen, and one other one I don't quite remember (I'm pretty sure it was sprite related)

Also when played on the actual hardware if you try to change the pitch of a song the game locks up.

Now for something completely unrelated to the flaws of the game, I wish there was a way to make the game play digital audio rather than the synthesized music from the FM chip.

That would be awesome.

20. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    It's very possible, and we had the capacity to do so. Just not the time.

That said, I'm surprised I never locked this thread, so... locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.