don't click here

Concept Art & Mockups - Aquatic Ruin Mockups Needed!!

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vangar, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    [​IMG]
    .. you do realise, right, that the reason he has no other hand is because it's behind the piece of wall?
    [​IMG]

2. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    If not done via sprite priority, then I'd imagine via intention. I always assumed he had two hands on that sprite and it was just covered.

3. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    I'm almost done with the buzzer, but I am wondering should I shape-shine the head like Sonic and co. or go granite crazy like I did every thing else?
    [​IMG]

Any other critiques are welcome; just realize this it an in-between version of the sprite & the art found on this site.
    [​IMG]

4. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
  5. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    Nice work so far with the buzzer Drex, very nice!

- The face ought to be sharper, particularly the chin and nose
    - The face ought to have darker red shading near the lower right side as in the original sprite
    - Eyes ought to look a little less boggly (original sprite has some shading around the lower circumference)
    - Yellow and Black abdomen ought to appear shiny near the top as in the original sprite
    - Yellow and Black abdomen ought to have darker shading near the bottom as in the original sprite
    - Darker shading for the "pipe" that connects the upper body and lower yellow-black body as in original sprite
    - Darker shading inside the upper jetpack holes as in the original sprite

6. Drex

Drex

Thanks Vincent and Athelstone. I will do the touch-ups after I get some sleep.

7. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    He looks alright, but a bit too Banjo-Kazooie. Might want to un-boogle those eyes a tad.

8. Drex

Drex

Alright, I couldn't sleep so I worked on this till I couldn't see anymore (still can't). The ring at the thorax is still an eyesore due to Paint Shop being so inflexible with it's granites. Added more shading to the eyes, hopefully that helps with the Banjo thing. Shape of the head may be a little too sharp now, but I can't really tell right now. I did everything else asked of me so far. Critique. Feedback. I'm going to BED.
    [​IMG]
    I guess you meant the bolt connecting the jetpack to the body. I put two smaller bolts there, but I don't think it looks right.

9. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the end of the abdomen should be a bit narrower on the far end; it's almost an egg shape in the original.

10. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    Also, a little more feedback on the buzzer (get some sleep Drex!)

[​IMG]

- Nose ought to be flatter at the end rather than curved
    - Stripes on lower abdomen should be black rather than greyish
    - Lower antennas should be red as in the original sprite

I am very pleased with how it's shaping up, the shading in particularly is really great.

11. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Here is a quick reference for everyone willing to help us:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Drex

Drex

Round 3:
    [​IMG]

Darkened the eyes and thorax. Red antena. Flater face. The thorax is flater, but not yet egg shaped. I'm still working on that.
    Is anyone feeling the two bolts connecting the jetpack and the body? I still think it should be one.

Topic split! *applause*

13. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Looks very nice, though I think there should be slightly more shading on the head.

On all the official art, his antenna and the ring(s) on his neck are yellow.

14. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    [​IMG]

A quickedit to show you what I think you should improve.

About antennas I'd also switch them back to gold it's just better looking! :D

15. SephyUK

SephyUK

WHY SO CURIOUS? Member
    Qatar
    Some Freakishly Long Anime
    It seems quite cartoonish, but I still like it.

16. Drex

Drex

[​IMG]

Well?

About the color choices. They really depend on personal preference. I personally want to make it look like a merger of the familiar sprite style and the original artwork and there are already people pulling for their preference. So, unless this isn't a big deal, we should take a vote on.

Antenna: Red or Gold
    Rings on Body: Sliver or Gold or Both :-/
    Eyes: Indifferent or Angry or Angry while shooting

V I do have them angry during the (unposted) shooting frame. Maybe we do could that?

17. SANiK

SANiK

Tech Member
    Make the bee look angrier by adding a slash above the eyes

18. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Just a small problem I noted with the Buzzbomber - the stripes on the back of the bee butt are off. If you notice, the stripe closest to the rockets is angled differently from the middle stripe. It makes it look like the bee butt is facing at a different angle towards the camera from the rest of the body. If you look at the original sprite, the first stripe and the middle stripe are always 2 pixels apart, where on that drawing, the first stripe gradually gets farther away from the middle stripe.

It looks good, but it's a bit off.

EDIT: The easiest place to see how it's off is at the top and bottom of the bee butt. Notice on the original sprite, at the very top and very bottom, the stripes are still only 2 pixels apart. However, on the redrawn sprite, the stripe is so curved that the yellow extends way out, almost the point where the first stripe is too circular.

19. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    That's definitely better! :(

Suggestions:

-His head is a little bit too shaded, it doesn't look like a robot.
    Try a lower head shading (like the original) and give more contrast to the lower-right part of his right eye.

-About his left eye is too hidden, try uncovering it just a little bit more.

-In the official artwork there is a screw inside his lower right head, still I'm a little unsure if it's a good idea to add it.

Anyway it's looking great.

I'm curious to see how the golden option would turn out.

20. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Someone over at Penny-arcade wanted me to pass this on about the buzzer: