don't click here

Concept Art & Mockups - Aquatic Ruin Mockups Needed!!

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vangar, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    My vote goes to the first one, for the stated reason that it resembles the artwork that the sprite is actually based on more closely. (The curl in particular, on the back of his head).

Spectacular work Vincent.

EDIT: Oops, I meant the first one I prefer, not second.

2. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    The first pic of Tails looks great, keep it up! Once you have enough graphics done I may be able to help on this... :)

3. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    [​IMG]

While those both look awesome, I think Sonic should be a tad bigger compared to Tails...

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Just changed the proportions to see how they'd look put together:
    [​IMG]

5. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    Looking at that Sonic sprite two things hit me:

1. The shading on his head is just a bit too purple.
    2. I think the shine on his head could be a bit more diffuse. It looks like a specular highlight on a snooker ball, and doesn't seem appropriate for Sonic's head.

6. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Yes, the darker color is too dark. The others seem to match up with the Sonic 2 actual palette, however.

Like the shading on the bottom of his spines and the curvature of his head is too dark.
    Those colors should use the color that the tops of his spines are, and the tops of his spines should use the shade of blue that's just lighter than that.

This is important because the way Aquatic Ruin is now, Sonic blends into the background a bit.

Also, the highlight on his head, while perhaps accurate to the pixels from the original, seems a bit too small. More of his forehead should use that shade.

7. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    You know, I'd think if we're supposed to be basing this off the original sprites, you'd want to get rid of the gay smiles. But maybe it's just me...

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    And the fingers, and the buckle, and make their shoes ridiculously flat...

9. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    When I think about it though, a more serious expression on the mouth might be more appropriate than a smile. It gives the player a sense that "not all is well", if you see what I mean - a sense of urgency. This is also how the Sonic 3 sprites were expressed when they eventually gave him a mouth. (Knuckles was given a cocky smile because he was portrayed as an enemy you had to overcome).

10. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    The buckles really do suck in my opinion. Not just the sprites, I mean in general. They look ok on the post-SA1 Sonic, but I think they're just irritating and ugly on classic Sonic's shoes.

11. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    agree'd

12. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    If we were basing this off the original sprites, Tails wouldn't look like he's going to play doctors with Cream.

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    <!--quoteo(post=185899:date=Mar 28 2008, 04:01 PM:name=Athelstone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Athelstone @ Mar 28 2008, 04:01 PM) [​IMG]

14. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    [​IMG]

-Work in progress-

15. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    Impressive! I really like that image of Dr.Robotnik, exactly how he should look =P

16. Yuski

Yuski

Dragons, dragons everywhere! Oldbie
  17. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    I thought Eggman didn't have glasses in the original games - he just had black eyes, didn't he?

like this:
    [​IMG]

18. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I don't usually like going with American box art too much for trying to interpret character styles, though in these early games, yeah, he seems to just have beady black eyes.

19. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

20. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    In-game, though, it IS just beady black eyes, though I will say I don't have anything against the style put forth in that example shot.