don't click here

(retro) Sonic XG - DEMO - UPDATED 15th august

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Sir Euan, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    I think the music was for the trailer only people....

2. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    That's funny, when I clicked the "Play" button on the video, it wouldn't even start. Instead, it said, "Oops! No video!"

3. Nope, unless I'm misinterpreting what he said here:

4. Jimp

Jimp

Art in Sonic 1
    So the music is the boss theme, eh?
    All the more incentive to beat the boss as quickly as possible.

5. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    buuuuuuuuuuuurn

But yeah, I'm with everyone else on this as well. Game looks excellent, music is terrible.

6. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    I liked the rock, but not the death metal screaming. Heh.

Still, I'm nto as easily impressed; I reserve final judgment for when I'm able to play it. It looks to be shaping up nicely, though.

7. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    That game wins.
    You used the best features from various Sonic games, like how Sonic spins when you use a spring, or Knuckles's sprites from Chaotix.
    Brilliant.

8. Sir Euan

Sir Euan

Glasgow, Scotland
    http://www.iameuangallacher.co.uk
    Hmm, well we do also have alternative boss music that is very sonic styled, the new boss music is really cos me and joe have simialr taste in music and love this track, but at the same time I do agree it's a shame to lose the classic feel. Happy medium will add an option to toggle between classic style title/boss/menu music and rocky music for the same things, default will be classic.

http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Sir...eakbossbeta.flv

Here is a video featuring OLD footage of the peak panic boss, it is quite buggy (note ring loss and the bottom right of the background) but it does have the classic style boss music, go nuts! Please don't judge the final game based on this though, it's around 1 year old footage.

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Wow, great, etc. Amazing job.

10. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    I dunno, I actually like the music in that first trailer. I usually am not a fan of that type, but that was good.

11. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    I was right about to suggest that... :P

12. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    This looks awesome, but I'm not so sure about those explosion effects. They just look so generic. The level design (at least what I can discern from the video) appears to be better than Sonic 1 or Sonic 3, as even in small and congested areas the game continued to move quickly, as opposed to levels such as Labyrinth Zone or Carnival Night Zone which seem to have a wall around every corner for the sole purpose of making it slow and dull. Very nice.

Though the heavy metal doesn't exactly work, it did have a strong and fast beat. It seems ideal for the game's music to be just as fast, to help the player feel a level of speed that was never really achieved in the original Genesis games.

13. WiteoutKing

WiteoutKing

The artist formerly known as WiteoutKing Member
    Worcester, MA
    Two-Bit Pictures and The D-Pad
    ...those explosions looked to me like the opposite of generic, but sure...

Actually, if there were little metaly bits added in, the effect would be perfect, but as it stands right now it is a very cool effect.

14. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Wow, I was wondering what happened to this project. Possibly the best non-hack Sonic game yet!

15. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    I watched that video twice in a row. I never watch videos twice in a row.
    Sega should hire you man, maybe then we'll get some great games again, at least 2D ones.
    AAA stuff.

16. Sir Euan

Sir Euan

Glasgow, Scotland
    http://www.iameuangallacher.co.uk
    then I suggest you check out music by the wildhearts. http://thewildhearts.com and http://myspace.com/thewildhearts

Truely best british rock band of the 90s and now 00s. easily.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I love that Sonic style boss music. I don't know how many times I watched that video out of love for that song. It fits so well, and kind of has a Carnival style thing to it (And sounds like it'd fit perfectly in Sonic 3).

Great work

18. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    I watched and listened again. I like the music but what HappyMedium suggested is actually a great idea.
    Being able to toggle between classic Sonic style and the more modern stuff makes everyone happy.

...oh and don't cave in to people asking for a quick release. You gotta be happy with the full result before you release it.
    Quality first.

19. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    You're on Destructoid, Euan... for what it's worth.

Also a request for you to post your stuff over at The GHZ. Don't ask me why, I'm just the messenger.

But yeah, this looks like sex. The music in the trailer wasn't my thing (the rock one, of course) but we've been over that topic, I think. The one in the second trailer was just awesome, however.

20. . . . seriously? Oh, man. Yeah, maybe if you don't count Blur or Radiohead or Muse or Coldplay or Franz Ferdinand or . . .

I mean, wow. There are loads of really great British bands from the past 17 years. I just went to the MySpace link you gave there and I was totally underwhelmed. I wouldn't exactly say they're bad, but what I heard didn't strike me as especially clever or interesting.

Back on topic, I'm glad you're giving a more traditional option for the music selection. I think that's a really good call. I'm looking forward to playing this game!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.