Sonic X Shadow Generations announced, releases Autumn 2024

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by charcoal, Jan 29, 2024.

1. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Would've still been interesting. Not to mention that's how their fight started out anyway: Mephiles knew Shadow, while Shadow had no idea who Mephiles was.

2. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Nakamura is credited as a support role in various Sonic and other SEGA projects. Could just be doing the same thing here.

I'm really curious as to who is actually working on this. Is this actually an ST project?

3. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    upload_2024-1-31_16-3-52.png
    Steam says it's ST.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Or Sonic Generations & Shadow. :V

I'm going to hope that maybe SEGA learned from the disastrous Sonic Colors Ultimate release and will try to get this one right. Or at least know where to try and where to leave things be. Let's not invent any technical issues or inherit post-Generations downgrades like Forces's abysmal Homing Attack aim. The seeming lack of Epic exclusivity is something, at least.

If nothing else I'm gonna hope this turns out good so I can have some foolish optimism for an eventual Unleashed port. ...plus Shadow looks neat.

5. PhazonHopper

PhazonHopper

I wonder if Sonic getting man-pregnant will be a gameplay element or just show up during cutscenes. Pandering to fujos is a strange and bold move, Sonic Team, but I respect a company with some chutzpah.

EDIT: NVM, just watched the trailer, not what I thought it was

6. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I’m about to crack open a “can of worms” conversation…

Will their selection of stages to play and their introduction and presentation within the game canonise a particular path from Shadow The Hedgehog? :eyebrow:

Let’s discuss this for 50 pages until the game comes out :eng99:

7. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Sonic x Shadow Generations is a great name, it's like Hunter x Hunter which you don't exactly know how to say the X.

8. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    I forgot that there was a Steam page. The fact that there is one already alleviates my worries that this was going to be another bungled release like Colors Ultimate was by making it an EGS exclusive.

Actually, this doesn't clear anything up. Origins and Superstars just has Sonic Team and SEGA as their Developer, but we all know that's not the case.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sonic Mania has everyone listed
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  9. Linkabel

Linkabel

[​IMG]

All I want is Fumie Kumatani to be on the soundtrack for the Shadow stuff.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

The game will have different missions in each stage and certain combinations lead to different paths totalling 326 paths and none of them is fully canon because at the end there will be a final story when it's revealed that Shadow was actually an android all this time.

11. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I’m not going back to just to grab the quote but someone said that Generations in HE2 would look worse and like…nahhhhh.

I do not have a lot of faith in this project, but I will say that the light on the Shadow stuff is absolutely gorgeous. Unleashed and Gens do look fantastic given their age, but the seams are also very much visible and don’t seem to be rectified in this release. Forces and Frontiers suffer from varying degrees of poor art direction, but the lighting tech behind HE2 is just sublime. I will concede that porting would open up a can of worms regarding design but I would really hope that HE documentation would be good enough that things could viably be translated over, but then I’m not a game dev so who knows. At any rate, what we’re getting still does nothing for me when the remaster looks barely different from the original, which holds up fine but doesn’t cut it for a 2024 release in my opinion.

I do find myself wondering about Black Doom, however. He was off limits throughout Archie on account of being dead, but now he’s back like it’s nothing. Granted, there’s something to be said about it being a lot easier for Sonic Team to get permission from SEGA than a comic publisher to do so, but I hope there’s an actual explanation tying this to Generations’ plot rather than “Somehow, Black Doom returned”.

12. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I maintain 'Together, with Maria' as the canon path, personally.

To be fair, we were never sure he died in the first place. He was ancient, proclaimed himself immortal and his blood was used to make an immortal being in Shadow the Hedgehog. For all we know, G.U.N. has had him sealed a vault all this time since.

13. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

I was assuming Black Doom returned from the spacetimey distortion thing, instead of him simply being alive.

14. Souplike

Souplike

I just do stuff, I guess... Member
    Aquatic Ruin Zone
    Chaotix Re-Bound
    Just watched the trailer right now guys! I knew those leaks from two days ago were real! I'm still feeling a rush typing this.

I love that they're are adding Shadow as a playable character. So cool that they're also adding a campaign with new levels. (Also are they using Hedgehog Engine 2 just for the Shadow campaign or for the entire game.)

The only concerns I have is about the bonus content. In one of the Shadow campaign clips, you can see Biolizard as a boss. If you guys know, he was a boss from Gens 3DS. I know he may be Shadow only boss, but who says that Sonic can't fight him. If they're doing bonus content, I still feel like they should let the 3DS stages or even Game Gear or other unused Sonic stages to be in it.

That's my opinion. I'm just happy that we're getting a improved Generations, so I'm just gonna be thankful.

15. Sonic.jpg

I don't think there is a single image that sums up the divide between classic and modern fans than this one. It's literally perfect in every way, especially depending on how you react to it.

16. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

...joking aside, it's just now hitting me that SEGA's giving kids a reason to Google "Sonic X Shadow". I wonder which search results will be more prominent by the end of the year. :psyduck:
    I like the way you think. Though Sonic Generations already brought back de-canonized Crisis City, so who knows what rules we can even pretend are in play.
    Agreed. I know it won't happen (or could, as a finger curls on the monkey's paw), but imagine if they actually fleshed out Generations's cutscenes a bit so the bulk of the presentation isn't in the first third of the game.
    I'm getting a chuckle at the idea of Classic Sonic thinking Shadow might be yet another version of himself.

17. KaiGCS

KaiGCS

Yeah, Classic's expression pretty much reflected exactly how I felt right there.

18. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

upload_2024-1-31_21-22-34.png

19. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Alright I'm sold on this now. :V Shadow is my second favorite character and I look forward to playing as him and replaying some Shadow the Hedgehog levels. (Which I assume we'll be getting levels from the game in his story.)

20. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    According to Japanese Steam, no, he's back.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Translation by Windii.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List