don't click here

Sonic Superstars: A New 2D Sonic Game (Fall 2023)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DefinitiveDubs, Jun 8, 2023.

1. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    The SA2 shoes were fine in Frontiers, as was the explorer's gear (aside from looking like shit, I mean).

I think it should be obvious at this point that this is a decision on their part, and a truly stupid one from some executive, at that.

2. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Was this ever resolved?
    [​IMG]
    They're just really fucking over us steamies.

3. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I'm just wondering if it's done Epic exclusivity rubbish. The game itself isn't exclusive to Epic on PC, but the DLC is.

4. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Well, that's both the best and stupidest (for them) way they could have done it. Modding in the Frontiers cosmetics took, what, a week or two? It was literally only held up by Gamebanana enforcing SEGA's will, even though none of this stuff actually costs money on its own.

5. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Starting September 23rd, sign up for an IKEA family account and place an order of $30 or more to unlock the IKEA Sonic skin!

Today and today only, subscribe to Starbucks Rewards and cash in on the Statue of Liberty Sonic skin!

Fill out this Google Form and give us your email and SSID and birth date and the number on your state-issued ID and we'll send you a link to download the Sonic Battle Knuckles skin! *offer excludes specifically Nintendo Switch. Why? Stop asking questions, you ungrateful worm

See how insane this sounds? Literally nobody asked for this, why can't they just release normal DLC like a normal company... Also didn't they say earlier that the Steam link being excluded from the Amy promotion was just an error? But it's still not there

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  6. Chimes

Chimes

Mentally recuperating. Returning to places by July Member
    Ngl a Ikea Sonic skin would sound nice

7. expansivelovestories

expansivelovestories

reality is profoundly synergistic Member
    Hmm!! I guess it does however also open the door to some fangame someday doing a creative parody of the situation with some kind of online ARG that you have to complete to find some sort of patch to download, or maybe literally just a file or folder to download and copy and paste!!

8. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Only if he's wearing those garish shorts. Maybe give him a Gregg's vest as well.

Honestly though, the silver lining I find in this situation is that it's helped me accept that I can just...not fall for this shit. With the digital deluxe stuff, I complained but sucked it up and bought the special edition anyway, hoping they'd cut it out if they heard enough complaining. On the contrary, they've gotten worse. There's stuff I'm just straight up not going to be able to get now, so why even bother with digital deluxe and pre-order bullshit?

9. ELS

ELS

People will make mods for the unreasonable to obtain DLC, they won't for the pre-order or deluxe dlc. Mods for DLC that was easy to obtain may be harder to find and considered piracy by mod sites. That's why I may end up bothering with the deluxe edition.

10. Fadaway

Fadaway

Am I the only one that doesn't care about skins?

11. Honestly, I don't, the fact those skins are the closest thing of having cel-shading Sonic game, kinda makes me wanna have it.

I hope SEGA at least is aware that a Sonic game in cel-shading style would look very nice.

12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I couldn't really give a shit either. But thats besides the point. Creating content, howecer minor it may be, and then distributing it only through limited channels to an artificially limited audience is always shitty.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  13. Battons

Battons

Shining Force Fan Member
    Just get whatever skin you know you’d use for sure. Don’t lose sleep over the ones you don’t care about or have no way to obtain, as I promise you it will become available in some way eventually. Whether it be sega rereleasing it with everything later on or a mod once this game is no longer a priority for the team.
    Pretty standard “Fomo” tactic to try and generate some extra revenue. Can’t wait until sega starts having exclusive bonus levels limited to specific retailers only in certain geographic locations. Wanna play banana slide zone? Better hope you live in a city and have a Sams Club nearby.

14. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    All of the DLC will be included by default on the exclusive Apple Arcade version, which will also feature online co-op!

15. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Well...

[​IMG]

IIRC all versions of S4 EP 1 except for the mobile versions had cell shading.

16. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Posting this video because there's brief (few seconds) footage of Pinball Carnival which I don't think we've seen before; At 2:16, then at 2:27 looks like a mini-boss fight against a clown on a bumper:

Have put in a spoiler tag because is footage from Sonic Symphony:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  17. Turbohog

Turbohog

Is anybody else just... not excited at all for Superstars? I was hyped for and loved Mania, but Superstars just isn't doing it for me.

18. I was like that until the Pinball song released. When it was revealed, the visuals weren’t grabbing me, the music didn’t sound too great, and it just seemed like Sega was taking the laziest, lowest common denominator approach to classic Sonic.

Since finding out Ōshima is involved (though that’s also a mixed bag considering Arzest’s recent record - I’m even a fan of Balan but technically it’s a mess), learning that that the physics are there, and hearing that song, I’m now looking forward to it.

I’m still not nearly as excited as I was for Mania or Frontiers though. Honestly, I think I was even looking forward to trying Forces more despite having lower expectation for that than Superstars.

Ultimately, I think the game will be a solid experience, but I’m not anticipating any surprises like we got with the Chemical Plant act 2 boss, the return of Fang and company, etc. If the game’s art direction was more interesting and unique, that’d make a huge difference.

And fuck the way they’re distributing these skins.

19. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    hearing the solo from It Doesn't Matter mixed in was such a pleasant surprise, sounds awesome lol

oh yeah the footage is cool too I guess

20. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Honestly, that opening theme is gorgeous in the symphonic rock format - I actually choked up a bit when the whole thing comes to a crescendo near the end. That's what's currently hyping me up for Superstars right now. And I don't think it'll reach the highs of Mania, but I'm sure it'll be a solid entry into the classic Sonic pantheon nevertheless.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List