Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. penBorefield

penBorefield

Living in my best life Member
    Basement
    Patching things up
    The blur filter is an extra flavor of prettiness.

2. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Each of the four PSG channels of a Game Gear can be played on either channel or on both channels at the same time; however, none of the Sonic games use this feature as far as we know (except for a minimal pan of the Sega voice in Sonic 1, apparently).

3. BenoitRen

BenoitRen

Tech Member
    Yes, but if your team lets low-hanging fruit like that rot in the ticket queue for over a year, while your customers fixed it mere days after your product was released, there's a problem.

4. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    Stop being so mean to Sega, they're only an itty bitty multi million dollar conglomerate with infinite resources you know:V

5. Snatcher42

Snatcher42

So I don't love how they've implemented nearest neighbor here, it has a lot of shimmering and is not the same as Sonic Mania or the blur fix mod's none/sharp filter.

6. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    It's really a shame they botched the initial release of this and also decided to piecemeal DLC for it, because when you have the full package with all its patches and such it really is a great way to play the classics.

7. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I still think they should have put rings before the 2 and 3K final bosses.

8. BenoitRen

BenoitRen

Tech Member
    Previously, the patch notes at Sonic Origins's official site (Asia) were pretty detailed. For the last update, they've clearly dropped the ball:
    The Clean Filter option isn't just for the Game Gear games, and I would hardly categorise fixing a crash bug under "minor fixes".

9. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

As mentioned in the Known Issues thread, apparently Tails will now crash S1 if left too long underwater in Labrynth Zone, making it impossible.

https://x.com/charlie95148/status/1695298300176666897?s=46

This is coupled with his jump physics now also being messed up in S1 as he goes super high in some instances. Was this a coding byproduct of fixing the Sonic+Tails crashing bug or something?

10. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    As far as I know the Sonic JAM easy/normal layouts have never been released in any collection after that, would have been cool to do that as well as add more stuff (like rings in death egg). Maybe idk add a hard mode? With LIVES so we can play with that in 16:9

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ooofff ya that’s a bad one that needs fixing.

12. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    With how this collection has been handling things, they should add rings in anniversary mode, and keep the original layouts in classic mode.

13. Nope

Nope

I would almost say this hadn't it been for the Sonic 3 port being messed up in so many ways. Lots of stuff is still weird and if they're going to update the game after this then I think fixing Sonic 3 should be the focus.

14. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    The megaplay of sonic 1 should have also been an option in origins, it's nice to play a 30 minute blitz of sonic 1 sometimes.

There's a LOT of things that should have been obvious from day one but it's sega and sonic, I don't think they will ever truely give enough shit as long as it sells enough to see profit of any size.

15. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

...would Sonic Jam HD unironically make for a better collection than Sonic Origins? :eyebrow: (I guess that wouldn't have the animated cutscenes, though.)

16. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    By what metric?

17. Snatcher42

Snatcher42

While excellent, Sonic Jam has its own set of issues, like the SFX all sounding a bit off. And ofc no Sonic CD.

18. RDNexus

RDNexus

Saturn limitations at the time, most surely.

19. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    Really, really sorry for being so friggin' late to this, but I actually do have the answer.
    For some bizarre reason, Sega lugged out a old-revision Mega Drive (known as the Model 1), and recorded every single thing from Sonic 3's sound test along with old sound data they had lying around. With this came the usual pitfalls of real hardware recordings: the amp is muffled, the volume mixing's slightly different, and the console used has the low volume distortion bug. If you listen closely to the bongos on AIZ1, there's a phantom melody that's a octave higher.
    That's the low volume distortion bug. You go to a emulator... nothin'.
    It also screws up how the springs sound. Instead of fading out the low volume distortion turns it into sounding like a groan tube.
    I've gone to great detail on what LVD is, but basically it's one part of the weird side effects that came from Sega recording every single thing with physical Genesis hardware instead of emulating it like a sane person would.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. Snatcher42

Snatcher42

The ironic thing is this was probably more work on their part... for worse results.