don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

If so, it's a little odd because Classic Mode of course still keeps them all in widescreen without the 4:3 borders. Though then again, SCD's old 4:3 cutscenes also don't have the borders present when played, it's weird. I also presume the Pencil Test animation is still widescreen zoomed in Classic Mode.

2. Xilla

Xilla

I've just noticed the strobing effects in Sonic 2 GG's final boss have also been toned down like in Sky Base. Looking somewhat more awkward as a result.

Can't remember if there were any other similar effects in the GG games, maybe Triple Trouble's final boss?

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    In fairness, unlike the sound issue I can entirely understand why they've done this - laws regarding strobing effects have moved on significantly since Mega Collection, never mind the original release.

4. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    yeah, you see this in other places too. The GBC emulation on the 3DS darkens the screen when any strobe effects happen (for instance, Hyper Beam in Pokemon Silver) and Pokemon Sword & Shield is probably one of the first modern games I've seen that actually did this post-release, with several of the dynamax attacks darkening the screen during the animation.

5. Pengi

Pengi

Nintendo have made similar edits to The Legend of Zelda and Yoshi's Island, probably other games too.

6. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Huh. I know about Zelda 1, but where does Yoshi's Island have a strobing effect?

7. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

Assuming this is specifically from that game, I noticed Amy's Continue screen you can only see through cheats in Classic Mode for S1/S2/S3&K is the same thing she does when losing in Sonic the Fighters.

(2:09)

• Informative Informative x 11
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  8. That is such a cute detail. What a shame most people won't see it

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ngl even if the games did still have lives, I haven’t seen the continue screen unintentionally in decades lol.

Maybe that’s why I didn’t care they were removed that much. They stopped meaning anything to me years ago. In that sense I liked Encore mode in Mania as you were limited to 5 lives max.

10. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I remember having some game overs in Generations and Colors when trying to find the remaining red rings, because I was dying trying to reach different areas that I wasn't sure were possible.

It was kind of annoying.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    So does anyone here have the technical knowhow to rip the updated maps from Sonic CD for the archives/wiki?

12. Davether

Davether

Having some difficulty finding information on this as I didn't buy the Plus DLC. In Sonic 1 and 2 if you play as characters that weren't in their original releases (i.e. Tails in Sonic 1 or Knuckles in Sonic 2) you would get a custom title screen card featuring that character before you start the game. Can anyone confirm if Amy was given the same treatment?

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    No Amy did not get custom title screens unfortunately, nor did they make a “knuckles in” Sonic CD treatment. But one thing they did fix: the level cards for knuckles are now green in Sonic 2.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

Yeah that was lame, it's not like they didn't have a sprite artist on hand this time. Considering the extra care in making sprites that weren't even used or rarely used like Amy's Continue screen, I'm guessing the logic was that Amy didn't have an existing title screen graphic of a game to transpose so it wouldn't have made sense or something. Though I do wonder if SCD not having a different title screen for Tails is just an aspect of it being the earliest of the remasters without some of the features they'd later add (no Tails partnering, Elemental Shields, Insta-Shield, Miles name change cheat... assuming these aren't just mandate-related), or maybe just because of how character selection in that remaster has always come after the title screen? Same with S3&K, which already represents the main trio, with Blue Sphere also lacking her with its prerendered look, 4:3 spacing and lack of her playability in OG Blue Sphere outside of glitches.

15. Mookey

Mookey

And yet his shield is still blue instead of grey...

I mean it's a minor detail either way, but it's strange (or moreso inconsistent) they would "fix" one detail that was essentially a palette limitation choice instead of a design choice, but leave another untouched.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    They probably figured green is associated with knuckles so that made sense but the gray both isn’t associated with knuckles and might make people think that shield does something else if it’s randomly gray all the sudden.

18. Davether

Davether

I always figured the grey shield was a result of Genesis limitations, so I dont mind that it stays blue for Knuckles since it was probably what they originally intended. The green title card is more of a stylistic choice so that stayed.

The lack of custom title cards for Amy is unfortunate though, only because of its inconsistency with the other characters :( but its fine for CD and Sonic 3&K because those title screens never changed for player characters anyway.

19. BenoitRen

BenoitRen

Tech Member
    Someone recently said that playing this collection at 720p on the Switch doesn't really look blurry. I can confirm this on the PS4. I've yet to contrast with 1080p.

• List