don't click here

Sonic Superstars: A New 2D Sonic Game (Fall 2023)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DefinitiveDubs, Jun 8, 2023.

1. RikohZX

RikohZX

Honestly, the best comparison is probably the Rayman Origins/Legends duology. Fast, precise gameplay, setpiece-driven, and very gimmicky when it felt like it while having a solid core base. Put it in a Sonic context with loops and speeds and it sounds about right from what I'm seeing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Santiago is a meme that actually has a point. And I'm actually kind of glad that Santiago has been gaining traction only for the Superstars models (and associated animations plus the new environments and artstyle) to me or and swiftly trounce it all.

Mania aside, I've been unhappy with the Modern look of Classic Sonic ever since Generations. And we've all been pretty unhappy with the shameless rehashing of assets. That's all part of the "Santiago problem" if you ask me. Superstars however looks the part. The art for this game is absolutely on point. It's original and authentic.

Gameplay? I just want something solid that plays analogous to the Classics, with whatever adjustments are needed for all the new features on offer. It doesn't hasn't to be 1:1 to hit the right notes.

3. Blast Brothers

Blast Brothers

[​IMG][​IMG]

Putting Generations vs. the new model side-by-side, it's no contest.

To add to this: I went to fill out the newsletter, and "Windows 10" was an option. Went back to sign up again with a different email for Switch, just in case... the Win10 button was gone.

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. bombatheechidna

bombatheechidna

The physics aren’t perfect but I am happy they are still making efforts to appeal to the Classic Sonic fans all while still working to improve Sonic Frontiers.

5. RikohZX

RikohZX

Superstars Sonic straight up looks like Ohshima penned new artwork that still matches with the old era and then got a proper glow-up to 3D, compared to the Generations Classic just trying to awkwardly recreate the old guidebook design mixed with a Sonic 1 pose.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    No, it's a terrible, cringe meme and it needs to die. If he was wearing a sombrero, maybe I'd see the point, but he's not, so I don't.

7. Looking at the trailer again, it's definitely an improvement. My comment earlier was a knee-jerk in response to seeing a 2.5D game (God forbid!). Examining the proportions of the characters while running, it's very similar to the 2D games. However, the approach to 2D and 3D design is different, so simply making the model look exactly like the OG sprites will never be ideal.

8. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Sonic 5 still has *something* to it, it's just hard to figure out what it is. But people dismiss it entirely because Zippo ever talked about it.
    I also don't think this project is related in any way to Sonic 5. It's classic, 2.5d, and potentially handled by a different studio entirely. Doesn't really seem like the "Sonic 5" that's been talked about by litterally anyone other than Zippo.

What my mind thinks of is Sonic Boom: Fire and Ice, just without the expanded character movesets and coop instead of a race mode.

9. Blast Brothers

Blast Brothers

(time to post again)

Just watched the trailer again, and outside of tubes and setpieces... we never see a character roll on the ground. The Spin Dash exists, so rolling is definitely in the game in some form... but it's interesting. May be important, may not be important, i dunno.

EDIT:
    Why would they make this game and then Sonic 5?

10. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Can we conclude one way or the other if Robotnik will sport his classic look, or the crumby modern version?

11. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The renders are one thing, but the in-game look paints an even better picture.
    Sonic-Generations-Screenshot-4.jpg 4867b1e0-0636-11ee-adb5-f7703fa952e5.cf.jpg

Generations (and Sonic 4 Episode 1, Sonic 4 Episode 2, Forces and Lost World) make the wheel-o-feet effect by giving Sonic and very basic running animation and then slapping a smeared red texture around his feet. S4E2 managed it best, but even then the illusion wasn't very good and the smear didn't match the speed of Sonic's feet. All of these efforts were, ngl, pretty lazy. And now Superstars thoroughly trounces all the previous efforts by going the whole hog in actually distorting his feet and making his legs do impossible things. They've perfectly emulated the animations from the Mega Drive games here.

I don't know why you think we'd have modern Eggman when everything else is unabashedly Classic. Classic Eggman is seen in the goal post and there's art of him on the background of the official website.
    Screenshot_20230608_231609_Chrome.jpg

Last edited: Jun 8, 2023
    • Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    I don't know what you guys are on about, Generation's Classic Sonic is superior to the Superstars model.

13. GoldeMan

GoldeMan

Texas
    I knew this thread was going to be popping off but wow this is crazy!

Saw the trailer went "What?" and checked it out. It looks good to me, not perfect but honestly for a surprise it looks good! I think I will need to wait for actual full gameplay footage to really get an opinion beyond my first impressions but I am cautiously optimistic. Comparing this to the only other game I can think of in the franchise that tried to do a "retro revival" in a modern skin, Sonic 4 *shudders*, this looks so much better, not only from a general graphical aesthetic (which the game looks wonderful!) but also just in a vibe. It feels so much more authentically Sonic here then Sonic 4 ever did.

It doesn't look mind blowing, but I don't think its supposed to be. Looks to be a solid fun time, and if we get more spinoffs like these where they look promising then I will be happy.

Now some specifics:

Is that Emerald Hill HD or is this a new Non-Green Hill starting stage? a NON GREENHILL STARTING STAGE?? (I'll believe it when I see it with my own eyes)

Also Sonic CD Removed Bonus stage reference at the end?

Also Nack!!!

And as much as I like Frontier's score, I would love it if they went back to the fun bright catchy music for this game.

If I can give one criticism, I can't really tell the flow of speed. Like at 0:28 it looks good, maybe a bit automated but still good. But then some of the other clips it feels a tad slow. Not annoyingly, and if the game is designed around it then fair play, but like at 0:53 it feels slow. Like the speed cap is too low.

I also see Death Egg robot... again. But hey, I'm just nitpicking.

I really like how knuckles looks, the sharp angles on his eyes look great and the expressiveness of his fullspeed running is really nice.

I'm reading its supposed to be 60 bucks which is a bit much for what is a 2.5D Spinoff, but I guess I will pass judgement until we see more.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    Santiago is the new "green eyes".

15. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Because they're different projects? IDK - Sonic 5 sounds like it's been off and on many times, and seems to be working under the title of Sonic 5, while Superstars was called Sonic Orion + - but tbh that could just be a joke image someone made that somehow slipped in   and it seems like they're on the lookout for games they can make and release in between Sonic Team's more ambitious endeavors. "Sonic 5" as a project just seems different from whatever this is.

16. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Do you have any sort of actual evidence for this alleged Sonic 5?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    I watched the announcement live with a friend and popped OFF when they showed you can play as multiple characters! I'm so excited to not only play as Tails again but at the idea that the "Sonic only" curse we've been dealing with since Unleashed might finally be broken for real, Mania notwithstanding. Plus the lack of Green Hill/Chemical Plant and the new powers makes me optimistic that they're finally trying something new and experimental in the classic realm.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. TheCleanerDragon

TheCleanerDragon

Squad Leader Member
    Is it just me or does Sonic look like a wisp when he's climbing up the waterfall in the trailer?

19. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Neat surprise but feeling pretty neutral about it for now. I'd be way more excited knowing we'd be getting a real classic experience but it's already evident the well has been compromised (grind rails, etc). Better to get that out of the way first and foremost and have my expectations set accordingly, but part of me thinks that if they wanted to make Sonic Advance 4 so bad, they should have just done that. That's not a dig either, I like all the Advance games. And this looks like it'll be good too but it's a bit of an odd duck.

Fang being back and a cyberspace level are big wins for me. I hope the music is GREAT.

20. serpx

serpx

It's obvious that we should all take leaks as a major grain of salt. And, I think leaks shouldn't be 100% thrown in the trash these days due to how true many in the past have come to be for the Sonic series specifically. There's definitely some insiders who are leaking things, unless all those Sonic Frontier leaks were just magical coincidences.