don't click here

Sonic Superstars: A New 2D Sonic Game (Fall 2023)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DefinitiveDubs, Jun 8, 2023.

1. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    He did direct Sonic CD.

I'm not really sold on the stages' art style, but the character models are pretty good.

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Physical from day 1 is a pleasant surprise, I will say that.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  3. Snowbound

Snowbound

4. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    It's really cool we're getting a new 2d game and looks quite nice. Seems like it has some interesting gimmicks. Having co-op sounds like a blast (I assume it can also be played 1-player solo as well). I'm cautiously optimistic.

...and yeah it has boost-pads because they are unbelievably exciting and provide an incredible gameplay experience. Also, you gotta love that automation where you get to just sit back and relax. Bet this will be a digital-only release, but don't worry guys we'll get a physical release next year with playable Fang via a download code.
    :ruby:

5. Kyro

Kyro

Its already confirmed to be a physical and digital release

6. NoNameAtAll

NoNameAtAll

MY HAT'S ON FIRE. HALP! Moderator
    Alright, I'm hyped. You have my interest SEGA.

7. RikohZX

RikohZX

Honestly, with the end of Story Mode in Origins in mind showing the crew fighting badniks together, was Origins meant to be a prelude or setup to Superstars? And if Tails can fly and Knuckles can glide, we at least know there has to be SOME level design here that isn't just a straight path.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. Um. Am I wrong or did I see that there's unlockable skins for the characters?

9. Battons

Battons

Shining Force Fan Member
    All I can hope for is no more recycled slop, let’s get some new meat this time sega. I’m tired of green chemical hill plant more like sand hill zone.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Yeah. If you register on the site you get an exclusive skin for Amy.

11. PhazonHopper

PhazonHopper

Everything looks so...weird. I'm not inherently against 2.5-D, but this ain't no Tropical Freeze or Metroid Dread. I can't say I hate it, either, as it's certainly not as off-putting as something like New Super Mario's artstyle, but it reminds me of those new Bubsy games they made. It's difficult to make models look as good as sprites, and Sonic Mania had some fucking AAA spritework, so comparing that to this has left me wanting. Somebody mentioned "mobile game art style" and I think that nails it.

The gameplay is another beast entirely. The jellyfish segment and the gimmick powers remind me a lot more of Sonic 4 than Mania, for sure, and the boosters are hanging over this trailer like the grim shadow of death, but I'm willing to believe that Sonic Team also understands that making a Classic Sonic-only game comes with certain expectations of quality based on past releases. There's a lot of joking about SEGA and Sonic Team being dumb or blind or whatever but you cannot look at the reception Mania received and say, "Well it was probably just because it had Classic Sonic in it, we can do that easy! Somebody go out back and dig DIMPS out of the dumpster!"

I won't say I'm cautiously optimistic about this, but I'll keep my eye on it. I bought Metroid Prime Remastered earlier this year for 2/3's of what they're asking for this game, so you're fighting a steep battle, Sonic.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  12. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    30 years ago, and general consensus it the level design wasn't great. Very stylish and respected for it, but the choices for the gameplay are certainly divisive.

13. MastaSys

MastaSys

Not convinced yet.
    But i must admit they managed to start with the right foot at least, something I thought Sega Sammy was incapable of.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. TheCleanerDragon

TheCleanerDragon

Squad Leader Member
    Starting off in a tropical locale is pretty much a staple of the classic games, so I'm not surprised they going with one for this game. I don't mind it though since it's not a straight up rehash.

15. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    My guess is Classic Amy's implementation in Origin was entirely based on the design documents from this game... and that actually has very interesting implications. It at least shows some crossover between the engine of this game and the retro engine could lead to similarities.

Upon rewatching the trailer a few times, I will happily give them credit for making what seems to be a better 2D Engine than either S4 EII or Generations so far. I don't know if they will nail it, but it is clearly the closest to classic Sonic any non-sprite game has gotten since. You can see what appears to be clear momentum with longer running segments.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  16. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    Either it's divisive or the general consensus is that its level design wasn't great. I, for one, firmly believe it's the best in the series.

Not that any of this matters, because there's no hint whatsoever that he's directing this.

17. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    If that's the case, then I fucking called it.

18. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    I thought it said Sonic Onion at first.

19. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Said skin is her modern outfit, as per the official site:

It's cool to have that option, as with the SOAPs in Frontiers. I don't much like the means of how you get access to it rather than it being available in the game as an unlockable, but it's almost harmless.

20. Snowbound

Snowbound

Speaking of Sonic CD, the ability where sonic turns blue and runs up water reminds me a lot of the wall run set piece from Palmtree Panic:
    5C5DF590-8C28-45F9-99F4-ABF47E2F6C62.png 39308CBE-F27E-4BA1-BC1C-1C0F5CB848FE.jpeg
    Now these may be more of a stretch but seeing the hookshot special/bonus stage with Sonic moving between layers of blue spheres and obstacles… I wonder if this is an evolution of the scrapped multi-layer special stage from Sonic CD?
    C55435EC-F7C4-41E0-AFC7-EA513614E9F5.jpeg
    5482DFEC-3925-4EDE-982D-98FB22F49625.jpeg
    Regardless, given Ohshima’s involvement I’m not expecting this to feel like a Mania 2. I’m expecting a weird spiritual follow up to CD… and I’m looking forward to what he comes up with

Last edited: Jun 8, 2023