don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    While also forgetting Mecha Sonic from Sonic the Hedgehog 3 exists, as well as Sonic Adventure's Mecha Sonic, both Mecha Sonics built after the 'advancement' of Metal Sonic...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MasterDreamcaster

MasterDreamcaster

Running Up That Green Hill Member
    I like Mecha Sonic.
    Still waiting for his appearance in a new game (like, a big role, not a cameo).
    He is a big part of SEGA Mega Drive | Genesis games.
    Also, there is a Mecha Sonic in a SEGA Master System game.
    SMS: Short Message Service
    SEGA Master System
    Super Mecha Sonic
    IMG_20220627_152818_682.jpg

3. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I was avoiding the sidegame's Mecha Sonics. There's also Rocket Metal.

4. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member

5. I think the biggest talking point will be the discussions surrounding classic Sonic. For one thing, Amy explains that classic Sonic (explicitly using the term “classic Sonic”) is what Sonic used to look like. That certainly seems to be the latest and most direct instance of literalizing the design differences between classic and modern. They don’t expound any further on the specifics of Sonic’s looks, so those who prefer their classic Sonic merely to be an out of universe distinction, you can imagine that Amy is just describing whatever differences would reasonably be present in Sonic’s younger self, without getting bogged down in specifics such as black eyes and the like.

Secondly, classic Sonic is explicitly re-retconned to be from the past. I believe this is the first official source to solidify this point, Ian’s non-official podcast notwithstanding. Interestingly, classic Sonic’s past is contextualized as a dimension - Tails says Classic traveled through the “dimensional portal to his own time”, and later that “time is just one dimension of reality”. This is presumably to maintain continuity with Tails’ description of Classic in Forces.

6. RDNexus

RDNexus

Trying in one fell swoop cement both time and space placement of the characters, I see?
    Classic Sonic is indeed Sonic from the classic games' time of events. But from a parallel reality, it seems (I've yet to check the vid).
    If it's so, then good going, dividing properly classic and modern settings and aesthetics.
    Hopefully some people may come to understand that Classic Sonic ain't past Modern Sonic, but a variant of Modern Sonic from the classic time of events.

7. Levi Church

Levi Church

It's pretty clear now that Classic Sonic is just Sonic, not a variant (using the definition from Marvel's Loki show).

8. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    One world, one timeline, one Sonic. One wonders why we got to a point where this needed clarification, but I'll take it.

9. RDNexus

RDNexus

Well, not me. Just saw the vid, didn't like it. I see what they're trying to do, but only messes things up, in my opinion.
    Eggman being a main factor here! I'll never accept Classic Eggman being a younger Eggman, makes zero sense to me.
    And to me classic & modern characters will be parallel variants of the same characters, not part of the same timeline.

10. MastaSys

MastaSys

Sonic CD before Sonic 2 doesn't necessarily contradicts Mk. 1 -> Metal.
    Mk. 1 can be a prototype that Eggman build before Metal and used it against Sonic after Metal turned into scrap at Stardust Speedway (being rebuilt in meanwhile)

11. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    Having the characters actually acknowledge their classic designs is probably the most meta thing ever lol. I hope this doesn't stop them from experimenting with Sonic's design or artstyle in the future, out of fear that they have to remain "consistent".

12. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Pretty much how I'd have handled it. I applaud the resolving of this.

I fail to see why.

Personally, I still maintain that Metal Sonic is the original, built with future technology from Little Planet's good future, and Robotnik was trying to re-reach that point with the Mecha Line before just retrieving the original.

Missed opportunity, though: when talking about the potential different Sonics, they should have had it go:

"There may be a Sonic fighting Robotnik with Freedom Fighters, or travelling a much more bizarre planet, or even in a band with siblings!"

But I guess SEGA would throw a fit, since they want to focus on their Sonic, not adaptations thereof?

Still, this is a step in the right direction.

13. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    I kinda like how they handled Classic Sonic here (even if Amy giving him the name is a tad on the nose).

Tails' description of time being a dimension of "reality" does have merit in that the universe is made up of spacetime as a medium (as opposed to space & time being separate things, they're a single "fabric" that our universe is made up of). Our universe is made up of several dimensions, though we exist physically in only 3 of them (height, width, & depth also known as X, Y, & Z axis) and some scientists argue that time is like a half-dimension we live in since we only exist traveling along it in one direction (from the past into the future). Since they're introducing the concept of other parallel universes as dimensions, the phrasing of "reality" rather than the universe is really smart here since it allows for more than a single "uni"-verse.

My only quibble is that technically Classic Sonic is from the same dimensions and spacetime as Modern Sonic, just at a different point along the time's axis. That said, given fiction finds all this difficult to grasp anyways, I'm not too bothered by it.

14. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Them mentioning an infinite number of dimensions including the reference to the original Sonic lore of him being in a band is a clever way to say “the old stories (and your headcanon with Four-Armed-Sonic) are canon too.”
    I for one am glad that the official canon is in the same multiverse as the Lara-Su Chronicles

15. Ura

Ura

Brazil
    "Crimson Angel - Honey the Cat" on AO3 (on Hiatus)
    The explanation for Classic Eggman is that he was using the Chaos Emeralds to look younger, but then he stopped doing so right before the Adventure games, and that's why he aged :eng99:

16. Never really understood the confusion regarding Classic's appearance in Generations, and even more now that this explanation verifies precisely how I took it. Classic is from the same timeline as modern, obviously considering they are the same Sonic, but by appearing in any game alongside Modern he had to cut through his past dimension on said timeline to where his modern self was in the present.

17. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I kinda like it. Officially solved the mess.

Also, you could infer that, after Generations, they realized the multiverse might exist and that is why they called Classic Sonic "from another dimension" insted of "from the past" in Forces.

18. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    I feel like that last part is trying to explain why Prime and the movie are so different without mentioning them specifically.

19. Levi Church

Levi Church

I feel like Tails would have believed in the multiverse before Generations, considering the Special Stages, 3D Blast, and Blaze, but that is an alright theory.

20. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I’ve always maintained that “another dimension” was just another way of them referencing time travel, but in a way that allowed them space to work without worrying specifically about certain aspects of the story.

I hope now that they can finally confirm that Blaze, Silver and Eggman Nega are from the future, just like everything in the games has always obviously pointed to.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List