don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    It would've been incomplete anyway. I know Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom is considered the black sheep not developed by the original team behind the other three in the quadrilogy, but I still like it.

2. David The Lurker

David The Lurker

For some mysterious reason... Administrator
    Is it wrong that I want the original Sonic 3 vs art to be restored in Origins Plus? One of those things that'll never happen. I mean, it's neat that when you're playing the level on your own, it's full sized. But when actually doing a 2P run, it bothers me that they made it squashed like Sonic 2's 2P mode. There's a reason the art for Azure Lake was drawn the way it was back in 1994...

3. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

I think that having single-player competition mode display in fullscreen is a nice gesture, but there's that really weird feeling of having something that looks just like the main game yet controls completely differently.

4. RDNexus

RDNexus

I guess you don't know about the PS2 line of budget remakes SEGA AGES 2500.
    Phantasy Star I, II & IV were to be remade as a Classic Trilogy, but only the first 2 managed to get there...
    Because the trilogy ended up incomplete, the games never got licensed overseas...
    Phantasy Star III seemed to never be considered as part of that trilogy.

5. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I own a copy of Phantasy Star: Generation I, as well as the Phantasy Star Collection (still looking for Phantasy Star: Generation 2). I was noting I'd have considered the Generation Trilogy incomplete, since they would skip Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom, even if Phantasy Star: Generation 4 came out and it was compiled for a western release like they planned.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
  6. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    The only additions that would make sense to me would be remixed soundtracks (or maybe actually putting some of the albums seen in the museum into the game?), or emulated additional games. new characters seem like a task and a half, even if they're gauging interest.

7. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
  8. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    This is most definitely fake. Mighty and Ray I could believe, they're a plausible addition for Sonic 3 at least, but the MJ tracks? A full Encore mode? A giant statue? The 'leaker' could've at least tried to make it sound a little bit more believable.

9. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Erm...
    [​IMG]

But guy confirmed it fake in the comments.

10. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Leak is very probably fake but it would be funny if they added Mighty, Ray, and Metal Sonic but still didn't add Amy. Lol.

11. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Leak is 100% fake lol.. anything pertaining to the MJ tracks returning is a dead giveaway to being fake.

What I am most curious to see is if Headcannon will finally be given the opportunity to touch up not only Sonic 3, but the other games as well. I have a gut feeling that if we are getting a new character as well as Knuckles in CD, then Andy Collins (A+ Start) would have to have drawn more sprites for implementation into said games. He’s also been relatively silent since Origins’ initial release.

More wishful thinking ideas for 3&K would include being able to play Sonic 3 and S&K separately, adding the original zone order, and making the 2P zones into single act 1P zones, but again that’s all dependent on if SEGA got Headcannon back.

I doubt any of these ideas would come to fruition but it would have been nice to see.

12. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    For a minor new feature, being able to choose between the S3 and S&K jingles in S3&K is a must IMO - the current weird mishmash of some of each is a baffling decision, especially as it's not even consistent between modes! Would mean they'd need yet another new Super track based on the S3 jingles, but I'm sure they could manage that. Would be a good excuse to add the proto S3 Knuckles theme to the game while they're at it - the museum oddly bothers to call out the S&K equivalent as specifically from S&K, despite the collection not including any corresponding S3 track.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
  13. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Thing I would change (other than the entire story of Story Mode) is include a Tails' Story and Knuckles' Story, where you play as Tails though Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Sonic the Hedgehog 3, with a cutscene showing Tails preparing to catch Sonic after Sonic's story concludes, and then play as Knuckles through Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles, start with showing him targeting Launch Base Zone (where you can see Flying Battery Zone being repaired, to set that up) and a final cutscene showing him placing the Master Emerald onto the Altar of Emerald from Sonic Adventure and taking up guard.

Also, Sonic: Man of the Year - Part 2, where Sonic finally stops Robotnik's nefarious plot to make him Worst of the Year. The compilation is just begging for it, practically being a sequel to Sonic Jam...

14. I'm beating a dead horse at this point, but, please bring back the 2011 Sonic CD menu!

Actually kinda sad as well Sonic 1, 2 and 3 didn't get its own main menu (no, data select doesn't count).

15. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    The moment I started reading that 'leak' I was saying to myself that's not sega, they would never go that far.

This is how I expected it to be! just bundle the games together with their menus in tact, the whole 3d island thing was really shitty and having dlc just to populate them with a few 3d models bouncing up and down was outright annoying to think about, still is.

The old menus are likely still there just inaccessible, changing music in sonic cd takes you to the 2011 menu briefly, same with the level select menus.

16. Pengi

Pengi

That would contradict Sonic Mania.

17. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Easiest of handwaves: he moved it back to Hidden Palace when Angel Island fell into the ocean suddenly, so it wasn't exposed.

Heck, it's what people thought he was doing in Sonic Mania Adventures, when he was dragging the Master Emerald through Angel Island Zone it was speculated he was dragging it to the Altar of Emerald.

18. Snowbound

Snowbound

I never dug the island menu. Now I doubt this will happen but it would be cool if they added a small 3D hub world/menu where you could walk around the islands as sonic. I’ve mentioned this before but there could be a house you could go in that would take you to the bedroom from the steam genesis collection. That could be a good way to contextualize the emulated games. There could then be an arcade building that has SegaSonic and Sonic the fighter cabinets.
    To be clear I don’t think this will happen… I’m just day dreaming

19. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I might actually put down $10 to play as Ray in Sonic 2. I don't expect a lot else out of this, but I'd appreciate some S3 bug fixes (and maybe just maybe they fix up the cues to be more consistent, but I doubt it)

20. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Wanna say that I posted this leak in this thread months ago and was like "Hey guys, look at this fake leak. It's funny." I just like how now it's making the rounds again. But that leak is full of shit. In case you don't believe that I posted it https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?posts/1011778/

Anyways, maybe I should pick up Origins on Steam for $20 with Plus coming out? Seems like as good a time as ever. I'm just not 100% on it right now.