don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. I stupidly pay attention to trophies and 20% beating level 5 is pretty par for the course lol. It’s kind of shocking how low the numbers are when you look at actual game completion. Only 10% of players completed any Sonic Mania ending.

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Numbers of achievements in general are kinda insane. To show some numbers from some games for the first achievement you get from the moment of starting the game, most of which are incredibly easy (these are all from PS4, so technically trophies):

Untitled Goose Game: Finish the Garden checklist [Do first level]: 79.6%
    Final Fantasy VII Remake: Complete Chapter 1: 88.9%
    Shantae 4: Save Scuttletown [Do first level]: 87.2%
    GTAV: Welcome to Los Santos [Do the first mission after the tutorial]: 89.8%

So a common theme: 10-20% of players of any given game never finish the first level. This still boggles my mind.

3. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I would guess those 10% never actually started playing, I have an embarrassing amount of games I never got around to play myself at the very least :V

4. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    My understanding is you have to boot the game at least once to count on that stats list, but I might be wrong.

5. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    You are correct. I pay attention to these things.

The fun ones are ones like "Watch the intro" in Soul Calibur 4 or the ones that simply ask you to Press Start that aren't basically 100%. :V

6. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Have any of these been on the Sony equivalent of Game PAss or had big sales? I imagine that'd skew data a bit with people getting some of this stuff for pennies (or as gifts) and deciding that they just don't vibe with the game.

7. Yeah, Sonic Forces was free for a bit and is more skewed than average games. For the majority of games, only 90% completing level lines up with most of what I’ve seen. Usually it seems like around 20-30% clear the average game. The clear rates have a strong inverse relation with the popularity. A super niche game like Gal*Gun for example has a platinum rate close to 10% I believe, and that has a good bit of grinding (or so I’ve heard…:ssh:).

It’s pretty much as one would expect. Big games draw a lot of non-fans who get it due to hype and then bounce off, while smaller games are only bought by existing fans. It’d be a nice experiment to calculate the % of players who clear games based on genre, sales numbers, platform, etc., to see if there are any interesting insights to be had. You’d have to remove PSN and GamePass games from the list though which may cut the sample size a lot though.

8. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    It's a bit like mass effect 1, they had feedback that so little people saw dialouge and scenes outside of the regular route they cut back on those areas in the sequels, thing is doing that broke the charm the series had at the start and it became a run of the mill action game.

Having achievements that maybe get a few extra people to check out tails in cd are the ones that come back, not the ones who unlock 10 music tracks in the gallery for an easy cheevo.

9. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    These were just 4 I picked off my own games list. Look at any videogame on the platform, you're going to see similar numbers.

10. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    David Cage games have very high clear rates. I find pretty funny. His games have pretty bad stories by any metric, but everyone wants to know what is going to happen!

11. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I imagine his game’s are also super easy given that they’re narrative driven QTEfests, no?

12. I never played one. I’d think a play-through would be short to encourage trying for different endings though. Is that right?

13. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

Except for when it broke certain scripting, the altered movement of Sonic 3 wound up making it feel a lot more fun to play. Am I weird for thinking this? The other games in this collection felt super slow in comparison. Playing Sonic 2 with a slightly-quicker Sonic and with a proper drop dash would be a dream for me. Would make speedrunning a lot of fun.

Also, I'll just throw this out here: are there have any level maps detailing the differences made for Sonic Jam's difficulty levels? Being able to smooth out some of the awkwardness in level design is an interesting missed opportunity for Origins and I'm curious how far Jam went with it.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2022
  14. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

Some kind of physics swaps between the games would be neat, even if S3's may've only came about because it was just how the regular values of Sonic 3 worked within a Retro Engine context. Also kinda unsure whether Mania's physics are different from the other pre-S3&K Retro Engine projects or not.

To be informed, I take it the issues with Sonic Team's Spin Dash-disguised Drop Dash are:
    - Different properties on slopes where prior momentum is cut when performed up inclines
    - A couple frames of the disguised Spin Dash's animation always being visible (ST really don't know their way around the Retro Engine if they can't just cover that up)
    - S1/S2's Roll Lock preventing free left/right movement, somewhat fixed by the Insta-Shield cheat as movement is oddly freed when using it
    (the Drop Dash also initially caused the Tails respawn bug until it was fixed)

15. Snowbound

Snowbound

There is still hope for an update. From the survey that was going around we knew that Sega was considering an Origins Plus, but this recent quote from Iizuka makes me hopeful:

https://mynintendonews.com/2022/12/...onic-content-asks-fans-to-look-forward-to-it/

Takashi Iizuka’s Ambitions for 2023:
    “This past year was the biggest year in Sonic history, including the release of the movie sequel, new titles Sonic Origins and Sonic Frontiers, and the Netflix animation Sonic Prime. We are preparing a second wave to keep the fans happy and maintain that momentum going into 2023. We already announced additional content for Sonic Frontiers, but there is a lot more outside of that, so please look forward to it.”

Last edited: Dec 28, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  16. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    Sorry to be such a pest but I really just want Sonic Mania 2

17. DaveDave

DaveDave

I hate modern gaming that we now have to grasp at straws just to get a basic QA update for a game that should never had been released in the state it was.

18. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Did the original mobile versions have a roll lock or is that something Origins added?

19. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    The mobile versions of Sonic 1 and 2 did have it, yes.

20. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    You know, upon thinking about it, I'm starting think that the mobile versions were not as good as people used to claim.

The roll lock is atrocious, I thought that was something Origins added! The collision is wonky because the hit boxes are the wrong size. The Sonic 1 special stages are totally off. There are probably more issues I am overlooking.

I mean they aren't bad versions but I no longer think they are definitive.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List