don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. RikohZX

RikohZX

Zelda usually has various enemies either weakened or better handled by your various inventory items, too; even in Ocarina of Time, creative use of your inventory can cut several mandatory fights short. This combat isn't Zelda, it's Shadow '06 with more effects and a way to make things vulnerable.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    ... omg that punch kick in air thing is Shadow's attack from 06.

Least this seems to work better here than in 06

3. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    So those are definitely two different Sonic models. no they're not And the combat looks...fine, I guess. Nothing heart-stopping, but I bet you can make encounters pretty quick if you're creative, and I appreciate that.

I'm wondering...

Okay, maybe this sounds like a long shot, and I know the metadata from the videos could be evidence against me here...

...but is it possible SEGA just...sent a bunch of shit from when they were first focus-testing the game? Like others have confirmed, the first leaks even mention Sonic's JP and EN voice actors switching, and I think this all maps 100% onto some of the leak stuff? Did they (or IGN, I suppose) just keep the initial reveal stuff they planned for 2020 in a box or something and didn't replace it before this year's reveal?

It's not that I'm coping here, the game looked alright to me before and it looks alright now, it just seems like we have a game 100% accurate to a version of itself someone played two years ago and I'm wondering exactly what happened in-between.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
  4. RikohZX

RikohZX

I would laugh if somehow this was Frontiers footage they've had prepped for the better part of a year but only are releasing just now without updating or redoing anything, but they can't screw up that badly by coincidence, can they?

.. can they?

5. Snowbound

Snowbound

I thought the metadata for the 1st vid said that the video was edited together last month? I see where your coming from tho (and you may even be right). It seems that all the criticisms the early leakers had have not been fixed.

6. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    On that note, looking at the metadata for today's upload reveals that some of the footage was probably recorded on the first of this month, a couple days ago.
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  7. JW.

JW.

It's not surprising to me that it's an earlier build. I think for showcases like this it is usually an older build than the one the devs are currently working on. Having said that I still get very unfinished vibes am unsure if this is gonna be any good or not.

8. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    That's why I said "the metadata could be evidence against me here", but I guess it leaves things inconclusive, as it's still a mix of old and new.

I have no idea. The problem is that since the difference is caused by covid, a thing which there just isn't any precedent or protocol for. I don't know how often other games show years-old versions before release (I assume it is not common), but other releases didn't have two years of plague in the middle of development.

...Weird. I mean, I'm assuming they didn't overhaul Sonic's model and the game's lighting within the past couple weeks. But hey, if they did maybe other people's problems CAN be fixed before November :V

9. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    I feel like this gif is a nice summation of Frontiers for me so far.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  10. Turbohog

Turbohog

There's no evidence it's an early build though lol

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I'm less concerned about the combat itself and more concerned about the gameplay loop implications. I can't be sure, but it sort of feels like you're going to be encouraged to collect some sort of resource by grinding out these battles.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  12. Snowbound

Snowbound

It seems way more likely to me that Sega didn’t really listen to testers feedback than there being a better newer build.

13. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    Earlier, not early. There's not a great way of telling the development timeline of the game, but if we're seeing differences, we're seeing differences. It doesn't make the game good or bad, but it means it's not necessarily exactly as we've been shown.

14. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Just want to chime in and say, without hopefully causing a few pages of screenshot and camera perspective arguing :V, that it's incredibly likely that it's the exact same model.

I'm stealing this person's comparison for ease, but here's Forces' model compared to the "new" model from today:
    [​IMG]
    (1) BulbaSour on Twitter: "MODEL UPDATE: Looking into it, it does look like it is camera trickery. In the same exact shot where Sonic's quills look longer, as the camera pans around him and Sonic moves toward the center of the screen, his quills look normal. I even got a comparison shot from Forces. https://t.co/kLOoccSyUq" / Twitter

EDIT: Also here, showing this model at different perspectives in video.
    Birthday Landy ️ on Twitter: "The Quill Thing https://t.co/a0THkXg6Ae" / Twitter

• Informative Informative x 9
    • List
  15. LucasMadword

LucasMadword

LucasSaturn Member
    If anything, I'd assume the landscape shots would be the older build, rather than the gameplay footage (which is likely late April at most). I think it's more telling that the model in Forces matches that one, because that seems like one of the later things that would be changed if anything. It's more than likely that the world being shown is pretty similar, and so they didn't feel the landscape shots were worth re-recording.

16. JW.

JW.

I mean, it very likely it is, they don't usually show the latest builds in showcases like this. I'm not saying the final build will be much different or better lol.

17. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    Buh. This is why I detest the entire debate. I made fun of reddit and twitter guys after the reveal who were saying "thank god it isn't the Forces model" and here I am being fooled myself.

18. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    See, I was thinking the same thing, but they do look closer to the Gens model in some cuts too. Maybe it’s the idle animations having movement on the quills that could be muddying the waters.

19. JW.

JW.

I really don't care about them reusing assets or models I just want them to show me something that doesn't give me bad vibes lol.

20. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    The differences between models since Unleashed are so small that I'm surprised there's much debate about it at all.