don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Well, think about the context here. So far we’ve only seen the longer spiked model on smoother capture in short, specific pans. Such gameplay would be easier to record and get to IGN in time, compared to the “core” footage that comprises the bulk of the gameplay.

2. It’s totally in-game yet Sega decided to show the first glimpses of this game in the worst possible light? Well I look forward to seeing this mythical final build where traversal actually looks dynamic and engaging and combat isn’t button mashing and watching janky animations play out.

3. MootPoint

MootPoint

Clockwork Aquario's Strongest Soldier Member
    Wasn't implying that it'll be magically better, lol. Just found it interesting to point out and also confusing as well.

4. Hamzawesome

Hamzawesome

Then why isn't it in the gameplay footage? This has to be the worst marketing a Sonic game has ever gotten.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Nah that's still Forces marketing that sucked hard. LET'S SHOW LEVEL 15 1ST AND GIVE EVERYONE THE WRONG IMPRESSION! SERIOUS TRAILER BUT LOL THATS WHY ITS CALLED WAR.

Oh and in Japan anyway, that weird Forces/Hooters promotion. What the hell was that. TSR wasn't much better, just kinda dropped it one day and forgot about it.

I feel like despite some of our criticisms, Sega actually wants to show this off. I can't say the same for Lost World, Forces, and TSR (Colors and Generations were outright spoiled by Sega's marketing), but here they're showing mechanics and gameplay that's more than 1 minute long (there already looks like there's more to do in world 1 than all of Forces combined). Remember when they released the Forces demo with the 1 minute time limits? This kinda marketing seems to indicate they actually think they have something, because this ign stuff is all month.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
  6. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    [​IMG]
    I'm seriously hoping this is like, an extremely early build that they showed off because none of this really inspires hope lmao.

The spincycle is a fun idea and I liked that boss fight with the big robot guy, that was definitely a highlight. Everything else just looks... kinda boring? It's not exactly the fast paced Sonic combat I would've hoped for.

This game will be passable I'm sure but surely we could do better than just passable? I feel like the bar is set astronomically low for some people.

Also, I've seen some people have point out that at some point the VA randomly switches to Japanese because apparently you can hear Jun'ichi Kanemaru's voice. I haven't been able to find it but that's very strange

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Ah I get it but people are really convinced that Sega is trying to copy what happened with the movie which I can’t seeing happening unless they’ve gone through some strong self-reflecting.

8. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    OK. So. Eeeh. Ummmm.

Look, I'm gonna be honest, I have no idea what to say. I wasn't expecting the next Sonic game to be a weird take on Shadow of the Colossus, BoTW, and Horizon Zero Dawn.

I'm drinking with friends. Is this a drunken fever dream? Is this real. I've shown this to my BFF when drunk because I can't describe it in words.

I can't even decide if it looks good or awful. It just looks weird. My jaw is hitting the floor the whole way through. Is this real? Is this an official Sonic game? Why is it about fighting mysterious robots. It kind of looks good but also a disaster at the same time.

I'm going to check my phone when I sober up tomorrow to check this actually happened.

• Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    The VA thing could also be indicative of an earlier build. Actually even the earliest leaks mentioned the VA switching back and forth.

10. AeonicB

AeonicB

Oldbie
    Freelance
    I felt like that first enemy was a bad foot to start off on. It took forever to beat.

The wind cycle idea is a neat attack, and I wish we had more of that, and faster. That's more in Sonic's spirit, I think, than kicking the spheres out a giant bullet sponge amalgamation of, well, spheres.

More personal note, that piano music about put my ADHD brain to sleep. Literally. I get they're going for BOTW's kind of music, but it feels a little lifeless and generic, especially for a Sonic game. I hope it's IGN stock music for the trailer, and not ingame music.

11. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    It would be stellar if at the end of the week Aaron just tweets “Gotcha!” and pulls back the curtain to reveal the exact same footage but from a version of the game that has already fixed all these issues…

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Another early leak thing, but they mentioned the cyberspace music hits harder. The pianos and atmospheric music are likely more for the open world while other music is saved for the yet to be seen cyberspace levels (this is the really early leaks like the 2021 one that basically lists everything that was shown off so far, so I'm inclined to believe that one. May have been wrong about some others but that 1st leak was right on the money I think, they def played the game)

Agreed though that orb enemy was not their beat foot forward.

Also I hope the cyberspace levels have a similar aesthetic to null space from Forces but more fleshed out. Looked and sounded so cool... you're there for 4 seconds

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
    • List
  13. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    • Informative Informative x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. AeonicB

AeonicB

Oldbie
    Freelance
    Honestly, that sounds great. I don't need Philip Glass all the time, but it's nice in small doses.

I really do like how the game is turning out and have high hopes for it, but I really am about ready for a nap after that trailer.

The big monster at the end with the walls and boosts, though? That was amazing. I want more of that. Give me more puzzle enemies.

Also, where's some info about the leaks, if it can be shared?

15. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Sonic Frontiers Leaks and Timeline – SoaH City
    KitKat has documented most, if not all of them here. Most of these mention the name before it was ever publicly known.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    How many people played this thing? Also is it just me or is the lighting improved in the supposed newer build. The panorama shots look much prettier than the gameplay, but you can tell they're both in engine.

17. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    Obviously they lost the more complete build under the sofa. There probably is a reason for it though, maybe the latest build isn't optimised for all platforms so they went with the most stable PC one to record it.

Have we had conformation which platform the trailers were recorded on?

18. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    maybe not all the EN takes are done yet? same could be true for the music too. you tend to see lots of missing or unimplemented (that is, the hooks haven't been made yet but the music is on disc) tunes in later beta builds.

Something that came to mind is that Spyro 1 didn't have its music done in a build that was made a month before release, which is true By The Seat Of Your Pants development hahahahaha

Likewise, three months before SA2's release, the press build lacked EN voice clip implementation: https://tcrf.net/Proto:Sonic_Adventure_2_(Dreamcast)/Preview

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    You're right. But that's still more than Sonic usually does.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well usually Sonic just either jumps or boosts or rolls. It's been about as basic as you can get for a while (Forces dumbed it down even more, couldn't even light dash or drift)