don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Snowbound

Snowbound

I think it’s also important to clarify what we mean when stating that Sega could’ve paid headcanon more. Do we mean that each member should’ve gotten a higher salary or that Sega should’ve been willing to pay headcanon more overall so they could have afforded to have more employees working on the project. As someone with no knowledge of how games are made I don’t wanna speculate on which scenario could’ve possibly resulted in a playable Knuckles in CD. I am overall very excited about Origins and since I own CD on steam I have mods with a playable knuckles. But to ordinary consumers this is gonna come off an odd exclusion. Tbc I don’t think it will cost may, if any, sales of Origins... but there will be plenty of kids playing Origins who loved Knuckles following the movie that will be puzzled by this.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
  2. Didn't see the OG comment but good call lol. I was hoping for this as well. Though my dream scenario would include them making a uniform visual style for all the games. Each game looks so distinct that it'll be kind of jarring going from 1 to CD to 2, etc.

It increases the scope of the project quite a bit, but it would give players a better reason to switch over from using the decomps and also give the classic mode a better reason to exist than being in 4:3. The classic mode is pretty pointless in my opinion when you consider the existence of the Mega Drive Collection, the Ages releases, and the XBLA releases.

Maybe if the game does well enough to warrant a special physical release à la Mania Plus it could be an included feature to bump the price up.

3. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    OK so this is likely a reach and I don’t know if this is going to happen or not, but check out the logo backgrounds for each game on the mission menu:

upload_2022-4-23_18-17-40.jpeg

Looks awfully familiar doesn’t it:

upload_2022-4-23_18-18-31.jpeg

Does anyone actually think we will get a mobile version of 3&K now that it’s been completed for Origins and it’s logo will be the JP box art on a red background to match the other remasters?

I predict it to be a possibility if Origins sells well

4. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    You know it's also possible devs actually read your ideas here. Maybe you didn't just call it, but inspired it. ;)

Time paradox?

Anyway, I'd also like to point out that we don't know if Sonic CD was ported with the RDSKv5 engine, or is still based on the earlier one (though I'm almost certainly betting the former).

If it is the same engine for the entire set, it's entirely possible Knuckles could be activated by changing a few simple values in the code and then would instantly work. My hope is that if this entire collection runs off of a single unified engine, porting over elements from the various games will prove extremely easy, and could even be a future unlockable officially. We already know it's possible to have super forms and Knuckles in CD on the decomps/Steam thanks to the mod scene, but surely it'd be easier to achieve if the engine is unified for all 4 games.

Another thing to consider is that if save files exist for "Story mode" that could allow emeralds to be saved between all 4 games as well during a replay, ALA S3&K. Who knows?

5. Maybe I’m just thinking of Dragon Ball, but don’t the emeralds typically scatter after being used? I know they do in the Sonic 1 ending.

6. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

They scatter once they're used up, like when Perfect Chaos drained them.

7. RDNexus

RDNexus

Well, the 3D islands thing remind me of an idea I wished someday happened (and mentioned here), them being used as a sort of level select ALA SA2 xD
    I also mentioned my desire to see the classics retold as a single campaign ALA MK9 "^^

8. The more I think about it, the more I think infinite lives and time will be a great inclusion for beginners on Sonic 3 & Knuckles, especially for levels like Marble Garden and Sandopolis Zone because I'm sure those levels were a pain in the ass for a lot of people. So I'm really happy that's going to be a thing.

9. Linkabel

Linkabel

I honest think it would be a godsend for Sonic 1 and 2. Always felt those two were harder than S3&K.

10. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    The lack of Knuckles in Sonic CD has finally pushed this from possibly being a day one purchase, to a wait till it's on sale purchase.

I was expecting more unification between all 4 games, but if it's just the older engine ported into the collection then that's disheartening. I'll be able to watch the cutscenes online, and I'm sure the challenges while interesting, don't have me overly excited if the level design is comparable to the Sonic 1&2 mobile layout additions. Hidden Palace being the exception, but even then I was always weirded out why the proto palace layout was not utilized as the base.

The boss rush could be interesting as the Sonic Spinball art might suggest. Ideally they could be all connected in level similar to the unused Sonic 2 mobile version. If instead it's just loaded into each his arena and the art is just a cool reference, then have me less interested.

If Sega wanted some cool marketing, they could have Ray and Mighty unlockable via lock on if you already own the Mania DLC or Plus, but instead they seem content overcharging and nickel and dimeing us over pointless gallery features. Hell I would pay for a proper Amy DLC, even though I was hoping for a unlockable character. What ever happened to the days of Sonic Advance?

I've got gifted the original Genesis games for Christmas or Birthdays back in the day, and I bought a Sega CD for myself a few years back with the game just for collection sake. Both Mega and Gems collection were bought with allowance money for GameCube. Dad had bought S3K PC collection when he gave me his old PC in middle school. Later as a teen my brother bought them again on Xbox Live with lock on technology intact. Got a PS3 in college and bought CD on that and on an old Android phone with a slide keyboard, then 1&2 once released. Downloaded the 3DS enhanced releases, and had an opportunity to try the recent Switch released of 1&2 as well. Before the release of Mania, I played through CD, 1&2 on my Ouya, then AIR on PC. To say I've purchased and played these games to death would be an understatement. Unless other news suddenly changes my mind, I'll wait for a sale when Denuvo has been removed and the modding community has polished it up.

11. Just had a random thought. The way this game is marketed and being pushed seems to indicate Sega wants to really get franchise newcomers to know where it all started, with the most comprehensive versions of these games possible.

I see people in here asking for sprite swaps and physics toggles and 13 characters and brand new zones and all that other diehard shit, while failing to realize that this game isn't just for the diehard fans- that was Mania.

Origins, I think, is meant to be the new entry point into the franchise, the same way Mega collection was for many, including myself. Outside of Knuckles not being in CD, I really can't think of anything this game is either doing or lacking that hinders it from being the most comprehensive, casual-friendly versions of these games we've ever seen.

• Agree Agree x 16
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

We don't yet know what they're going to do about The Barrel of Doom.:V

13. Yeah... That Damn Barrel better be removed or replaced or something... I mean didn't we get an entire apology for the existence of the Barrel?

14. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I'm sure it will be in anniversary mode, and it'll be weird as all hell, but ultimately I think it's the correct choice.

15. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    They should add wording next to the barrel saying "press up & down, up & down and don't press jump like an idiot like I did" :V

They could design one of the new "missions" in Origins to teach new players how to move the barrel correctly.

16. Swifthom

Swifthom

A Friend Remembers... Member
    Completely agree. And am glad it is just about ready to catch the tail end of the movie hype (streaming service / dvds going live about June?) - because THIS is what the movie was based on. So many scenes in the movie I was just grinning thinking 'who would have expected this 28 years ago'

Mushroom Hill, Ice Cap, master emerald, death egg robot, and even smaller call backs throughout. This package is the perfect welcome for new fans from that to slip into gaming.

So - as much as I may personally love more - I am fully behind them keeping this a focused, quality and most important 'accessible' faithful recreation of the old games. I have a lot of love for 3D sonic but the 2D games always had a lower skill to entry.

17. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Honestly? I hope they redesign that section of the level. Not remove all the barrels obviously, but just change the infamous one where you need to swing up and down several times in order to build up enough momentum to proceed. I am all for preserving the game in all its original glory, but that part is just so unintuitive and frustrating by today's standards. I mean, judging by how many of us had trouble with it, it was unintuitive even by 1993 standards.

Also, have to agree with folks on the infinite lives thing. Sucks for folks who would rather play with finite lives, but ultimately I think if they are going to choose ONE route and not make every single option customizable, infinite lives is easily more accessible and more modern and will probably save a good amount of people from turning off the game. I have heard many a criticism that the classics are very punishing and feel quite cheap because they feel they have to react to things very quickly and by the time they learn the layout of a level through trial and error, they have already burned through their lives. Being able to choose lives or no lives would be ideal, but like I said, if they have to choose one I see a lot less downsides to going the infinite lives route.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
  18. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Really, all that I feel is needed is an animation of the characters squatting to show that they are pushing the barrel down with their body. The lack of any visual input is a massive turn off for people.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. _Sidle

_Sidle

It's at least kind of based on it?? That jogged my memory of this WIP image I've made, charting Proto Palace influence on 2013 Hidden Palace out not too long ago.

upload_2022-4-24_4-12-23.png

2013HPZ is very much it's own level, yet still manages to use like 95% of PPZ's layout spliced and scattered in various places. Quick examples:
    • The original start area is mostly intact, and is now the checkpoint near the middle on the top path.
    • The original ending section that throws you into the water is closer to the beginning down low, and now connects to the center green area similar to how that weird cutoff section originally did.
    upload_2022-4-24_4-34-4.png
    upload_2022-4-24_5-8-34.png

Even beyond the legacy of it being playable Hidden Palace, it's a pretty good stage imo. Probably one of my favorites for how well all the different paths flow. Hope to see some new addition like it somewhere in Origins.

• Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  20. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Honestly, the only issue I have with Hidden Palace is the amount of blocky "steps" it has and the Badniks being a bit naff. Still, I really hope we get the 2 player Sonic 3 zones reimagined in the same vein.