don't click here

Zone 02 : "Circus Zone"

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. synchronizer

synchronizer

Thanks. I see the resemblance. Nonetheless, isn't there already a work-in progress tile set with Eggman's face among other wall designs? I liked those.

2. Thundertimi

Thundertimi

Sonic Retro (Artwork team)
  3. Phoenix

Phoenix

Has really been far even as decided to use even go Member
  4. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Spiritually it is, and officially it isn't (Obviously). We have no right to claim the project as the "fourth" Sonic game, just as nobody except Sega have the right either.

Thundertimi's art might be simple, but wouldn't have looked out of place in a Master System/Game Gear Sonic game (Indeed, it reminds me of the Sonic 1 SMS Special Stage personally). Instead of merely bashing it, could you suggest improvements, or better yet mock up some? Thanks :eng101:

5. Thundertimi

Thundertimi

Actually it is genesis style, there is no way, that gg or ss have this kind of art.
    Look other genesis levels, and you see, or try build something with those parts, what I made.
    Then you see.

Also, there is just few level part, you can't build whole level whit those.

And Phoenix you should read things twice.
    We trying Sonic 4 style, even name would be "Sonic the needleboy and golden treasure" :P

6. Rokkan

Rokkan

7. Dan Genesis

Dan Genesis

As it was predicted. Plus, this is like some cute Member
    Top Secret. Bitch.
    KuroKomix LPs and Blog.
    Hasn't it already been brought up that this spiritual Sonic 4 would have been made for something like the Saturn?

8. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    Another reason on why we should stop the whole "Let's do Sonic 4" thing.

We don't need to call it Sonic 4 to make this perfect, and we don't need to do this for the Saturn.
    There are some limitations in the name Sonic 4, but none in the name Project: Sonic Retro. I want to make a tribute to the classic Sonic, not a game that was never released.

9. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Ditto. In my case, it's a very loving tribute to the series which probably helped more than anything to shape me as a person.

I think STHX's sentiment here really should be the mission statement here. <3

10. Matwek

Matwek

Agreed, as long as it looks good and is fitting then im all for using it.
    If someone comes up with some art thats not a high enough quality then thats why its open to the community to improve upon it for them.

11. Thundertimi

Thundertimi

[​IMG]

What about this then rave?

12. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Is that just a palette-switched set of Palmtree Panic graphics to prove a point?

13. Thundertimi

Thundertimi

Yes.

Im proving, that this isn't Sonic 4 style, as it should be. (Not sonic 4, so don't talk about that anymore.)

But it's actually genesis style.

14. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    In which case, you've merely abstracted something which doesn't reflect the graphics in a good manner -- you're missing the various larger forms that are composed of lighter and darker versions of the texture, plus the other finer scenery.

Note that the 'column' there (A palmtree trunk, right?) actually has more three-dimensional form than your art due to it's strong highlight.

Reference is fine, but please don't do this again. Mature discussion can back up your input more than this childish stunt, thanks.

15. Thundertimi

Thundertimi

Yes, but art, what I posted earlier, was flat.

And, now my point is, that you can improve that art, like we did whit toucan badnick.
    That's how things work faster and this game will succes.

Please, don't post that kind of things. You know, that its meant to insult people. It's not helping.

Also, don't worry about my maturing. I'll never grow up or get older. (I hope :P)

Anyway.

[​IMG]

I changed background color, so you can see it fitting circus zone.

Feel free to improve.
    (Those plates need lot work)
    (Also pipes and all almost everything)

16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I don't think Sonic CD's graphics are the best to go by, seeing as that game was released in the middle of the MegaDrive era.

If you're looking to better Sonic 3K inspiration should probably come from there. I like Sonic CD as much as the next guy but graphics are supposed to get better and more refined, not jump back in time.

However it doesn't take a huge amount of tweaking to turn those into something that looks better than a NES game.

17. Thundertimi

Thundertimi

Yes!

Someone here know how things are :P

Now, lets improwe that art, like we did whit rika's art in tropical level.

I made this messy up mockup, just showing things.

[​IMG]

18. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    This is more like it, Thundertimi, and exactly what I was getting at; now your blocks are shown with more context, they look better. I like it, but I feel the tent in the background is a little too strong. I love those little Eggman blocks - are they completely original?

19. Thundertimi

Thundertimi

I didn't do them.

We acually had same point.
    Those parts, what I posted, was just simple parts of wall, so thats why everyone get confused.

But it still need more details, if it have to be "Sonic 4" style.

Anyway, someone else did those eggman blox.

Who confess?

20. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    It does look quite nice, but the dithering still gets me. Do we have some idea of what the color limitations of the engine we're using will be? Last I heard the plan was E02 but little has been said beyond that.