don't click here

WIP General Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Your additions are really a neat improvement dear Woot! ^^

(yes, please do separate the platform from the bubble layer)

2. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    Is anything being done about the upper centre area (with the green bars, etc.)? It looks blurry compared to the rest of the platform

3. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    Okay, so I looked at some quick tutorials, and now I'm back in the modeling game. Well, sort of. Anyway, I decided to try again with the 3D-rendered stripes for the Moving Chemical Plantform. Notice the curvature of the lines, and how nothing like it is present in 2D-vector attempts. I must admit, it is the sort of thing which you can't really simulate unless you model it in 3D or have an actual model with a similar design at hand. But now you do, so there's no excuse anymore. :v:

A quick mock-up of the platform with my tape.

[​IMG]

Here's the raw caution tape ring, if you need it.

[​IMG]

I know the stripes are the wrong thickness, but if you use this as a reference for future 2D-vector renders, you can still use the separations between black and yellow as guides.

4. This is indeed better than the previous attempts. I like it.

5. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    Take 2, this time with thicker stripes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    See? If I hadn't suggested to try it in 3D, you'd probably still be arguing over how the lines are supposed to look around a 3-Dimentional object.

So next time, please don't complain when I suggest something like this again :colbert:

...Glad I could help, anyway ;)

7. Woot

Woot

Here's that blue area if you guys wish to use it.

4x

[​IMG]

8. Woot

Woot

Original/Compsense's/Mine
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Just a few changes I suggest.

1. Use of the 3D stripes
    2. I see the very top centre as an area which has been cut into the object - like a piece cut out of a pie.
    3. I thought the rust on the right was a bit too strong
    4. The blue lights have a white shine, just for a little realism
    5. Glass blue base, uses closer blue to the original
    6. Softened the energy booster gradients just a little
    7. The stripes go to the very centre until the blue/black area. I see the original white are as reflected light, not the end of the stripes.

----------

Edit: I think we should take a closer look at the original. Here's what I make of it:

[​IMG]

a: This hollowed out type metal is often <a href="http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&um=1&sa=1&q=hollow+steel&btnG=Search+images&aq=f&oq=&start=0" target="_blank">used in buildings</a>
    b: Stripes, for reference of what we're looking at
    c: These blue things run through the inside of the hollowed metal, I could imagine that they're filled with the blue liquid at the base of the platform. Possibly powering it. They could possibly be rounded tubes.
    d: These could be green wires as opposed to a screen display indicated on the current HD model.

The area with the dials isn't cut in, it's on metal which has been pushed flat from the base.

What do you guys think?

---------
    Second edit: Something like this:

Original/Before/After
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hmm, looks nice but I feel the central part might look a bit too bright now... How about a middle point between the before/after pics?

Edit: Also, the blue base looks a bit odd to me now...

10. Woot

Woot

Here's one I made earlier...

[​IMG]

11. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    I think ya need some more contrast on that thing, but other than that it looks pretty good.

12. You make it sound like Blue Peter. :P

Anyway, yes. Add some more darker tones on the sides and it'll finally be perfect.

13. Woot

Woot

Ten minutes in the oven at 230 degrees...

[​IMG]

Detail, just for fun...

[​IMG]

14. Kirinja

Kirinja

ATATATATA! Member
    It looks kinda blurred. Like you applied some kind of fog filter and then just blurred it.

15. Are you sure? It seems fine to me.

16. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    Slap some highlights over the meter things so make it look like there's glass covering them and reflecting some light, and those silver lines on the dark part on the base are bugging me. They're just kinda there and I don't really know what they're for. Hmm, keep that version just in case, but I think those could be turned into something else. Maybe try some vents, then we could have some smoke coming out of 'em later.

17. Woot

Woot

Love it, will do.

Could you highlight the silver lines? I'm not sure which ones you mean.

18. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    Alright. I believe Compsense had them as lights on the underside of the platform, but that's kinda open to debate. Most things are, actually. If you do keep them as lights, I would like to see them adjusted so the ones towards the edges don't look so pasted on.

[​IMG]

19. Woot

Woot

I've always pictured those as miniature boosters. They're keeping the platform floating.

20. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    Let me know if I'm alone here, but to me it still just seems a little washed out around the gauge/meter things. Perhaps the borders around the gauges could be a bit darker? There is an utter lack of contrast in that area.