don't click here

WIP General Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Flare

Flare

Hes not saying its not good, hes just saying that there could be one done that was more faithful to the original and look good.

2. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    At the size it will be viewed at, trying to add more and more detail to this one simply isn't worth it. As many have said already, Gambit did a great job with this.

This piece is approved, let's move on.

3. Woot

Woot

When diagonal lines are stretched off into the distance as presented in Compsense's image, the visibility of the lines become limited to a confined visual space and so the lines appear at sharper angles. He has drawn the lines at sharper angles toward the edges because of this. If he didn't, it wouldn't look right.

I think it's worth mentioning that in the original, we stop seeing the yellow and black tape towards the middle of the platform exactly when the grey area above it also becomes significantly lighter - I don't think this is a coincidence. I think the tape keeps going toward the centre until it meets the blue/black area - I think the light blinds it from view.

4. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    No, because of the scale of the original artwork being so extremly small, "faithful" would be open to mass interpretation. There's a pixel of red that surrounds that yellow circle. What you can determine "faithful" could mean anything.

5. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Maybe someone could - just to see what it would do - wrap this image/'texture' around a tubular disc using a 3D program? I know it's not the same thickness (you could always increase the thickness in Photoshop or something), but it will give us an idea how how the lines will look going round an object.
    [​IMG]

6. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Well here's what that image looks like when it's wrapped around a cylinder.

[​IMG]

Not sure what exactly you want to prove with this since the game uses a different perspective than this. It looks just as funky with the perspective off, btw.

[​IMG]

7. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Oh yeah I know that. :)

8. Endgame

Endgame

No offence, but I thought someone would've had the sense to tile it, crop it, and adjust it as much as is needed to make it as close as possible to the width of the first few lines at the front, before adding it to the cylinder ;) That way, we can see what the lines will look like going around a 3D object - and thus seeing how we are to do the lines on the platform.

Isn't that what we're attempting to do?

9. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    Tile and crop what, the image? Why would I do that when it'd have the same basic outcome? If I were to go in and make the lines have different thicknesses just so they would appear to get smaller as they go around, what the hell would the point of wrapping it around a cylinder be in the first place? If you could take those black and yellow stripes off that platform and lay them out flat the spacing between every line would be exactly the same. If you want to get more realistic with that platform, make the stripes curve gently as they go around the sides.

10. Endgame

Endgame

I was only trying to help *shrugs*

11. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    Okay, from a Maya perspective, why don't you put the texture on a disk 16x1x16 and scale the UV mapping appropriately?

I'd do it myself, except I can't use the UV editor to save my life. :psyduck:

12. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    lol Here ya go.

[​IMG]

13. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

Well, I know now that one of the reasons the stripes don't look right is because they lack curvature.
    If you could just provide a non-perspective view of that with a 32-sided disk, I'd appreciate it. I want to try something.

14. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    Knock yourself out.

[​IMG]

15. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

Hey. You.

Are you trying to screw me over? I asked for a disk 16 times wider than the height, and you give me 8. Now, maybe I'm being paranoid, but it really seems to me that you're trying to sabotage everyone so nobody can prove a point.

Well, I tried my little experiment anyway, and you can see the results. This gif is meant to show that by adding curvature to the lines, it can make it look much more in-perspective. At least, it's MEANT to.

[​IMG]

16. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    Hmm, I swear I made it bigger than that. Oh well. To be quite frank, I've not liked the perspective on those stripes on that platform for awhile now because I know they're off. As-is, it isn't considered finished, so you guys shouldn't worry about it too much more right now. I don't mean to brag or anything, but I'm really good when it comes to perspectives, so I should be able to sort out all the perspective issues that may arise.

17. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

Sorry about that. I was feeling kind of tense before. I'm all better now.

18. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Am I the only one that thinks Compsense's original version looks better than any of the additions we've seen so far? Sure, the perspective in his could be off a bit, but look at it this way -- it's a good fit for the artistic style. I'm not totally sold on the texture work yet; I'd want his remaster put up against a concept piece using similar texture work before I pass judgment on that.

So yeah, how 'bout them concept art pieces guys?

19. Woot

Woot

Compsense, I hope you don't mind, but I've worked from your design to produce what I'd rather see in regards to the blue area on the bottom:

Yours:
    [​IMG]

Mine:
    [​IMG]

Please let me know what you think.

By the way, I love the rust on your items, looks great! Though I'm concerned that the large piece of rust on the right of this platform could be confused with a reflection of an orange item. Is it just me?

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Don't worry about the bubbles inside the bottom part, it's already been stated that they'll be added afterwards.