don't click here

Who here started with Sonic 1, honestly.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Diablohead, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

that power is yet unknown Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica
    Thinking about it, I believe I DID start with Sonic 1...

...on the Game Gear. :v: A friend of mine had it.

Later on, I got a Dreamcast with the Smash Pack version of S1 (dat terrible sound emulation) and Sonic Adventure. And I fell in love. <3

2. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I have played all versions of the main series on Megadrive hardware, and played all versions of the Master System series on hardware. The one experience I can say that really set the Sonic series apart from most games on hardware back then was how colourful it presented itself.

3. Hi guys.

I started with Sonic 1. :D

First video game I ever played!

4. Vaiyt

Vaiyt

Oglio p'ru çeu Member
    I started with Sonic 1 on the Megadrive as well. My cousin owned it, along with Raiden Trad and Alien 3. Good times.

5. Penguin

Penguin

Sonic 1 on the Game Gear.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Seeing as how I was only 20 days old on release day, I certainly wasn't playing Sonic 1.

The first game I played was Sonic 2 back in 1995. So many great memories. Funny thinking back at how hard that game was. It took me 9 years to beat, and I finally did it and I was so happy. Hell I couldn't even beat the first boss first time I played.

7. Hybrid Project Alpha

Hybrid Project Alpha

It's what's for dinner Oldbie
    Douglas, NB
    Getting a life
    I did. First game I ever owned. I was terrible at it

8. That and how elaborated the physics was. A lot of platformers back them didn't even have slopes, let alone the complex acceleration and rotation systems Sonic games had.

Having skipped from the Atari 2600 to Sonic 1 on the Genesis I was amazed at how complex that game was. I got so used to it that all the other games I played on my Genesis after it felt duller.

9. Shade Vortex

Shade Vortex

The Black Vortex Member
    USA, WA.
    YouTube Memes
    Not surprisingly, considering how Sonic 1 came out a year after my birthday, it wasn't until years after my birth that I got to play any Sonic games... However, Sonic 1 was the first game I played, and it was of course the Genesis version.

Ah, I was probably four or five around that time, and it was great.

10. Kylegamer98

Kylegamer98

Forever Trial Member Member
    I didn't start video games with Sonic (I did with Tetris, the only game both my parents could beat, and I hate it) but Sonic 1 was my first Sonic game.
    For some strange reason, I have 3 Genesis carts with the game. One is normal, one reads NOT FOR RESALE, and the last is on the Sega 6-Pac, the best console sampler of all time.
    I can remember rarely getting to Spring Yard, and only once getting to Labyrinth (In-between certain ages which were very young) but I loved the hell out of the game. Until I found out S3K is my lord and savior.

11. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    Well, I started out with Sonic Adventure on Gamecube, but after you get 20 emblems, you unlock the GameGear version of Sonic 1. I remember thinking that was the first Sonic game, and was really shocked and amazed when a friend showed me Sonic Mega Collection, which had the real Sonic 1. I was like, "Wtf, the boss has a wrecking ball?"

12. Getting a Sega Megadrive along with Sonic 1 was pretty much one of my earliest memories.

13. MastaSys

MastaSys

If Sonic 1 for Master System counts, then yes. :v:

But it was Sonic 3 & Knuckles (for PC the 1º time I played it) that made me love Sonic forever ^^

14. kazade

kazade

A 2D Physics Engine
    I'm really having to scan my memory to remember the exact order of things... but here goes:

Somewhen in 1991, probably around Christmas time. My cousins came to visit, they brought with them a SMS 1, and a Game Gear - both with Sonic 1. It was the first time I'd played a proper console. After that visit, me and my two younger brothers pestered our parents for an SMS. We got an SMS2 with Alex the Kidd and Sonic 1 not long after Christmas (so early 1992 probably). At around the same time, we'd borrowed a MD1 from someone and that had a single game: Sonic 1.

Well, it was downhill from there really. We borrowed the MD for a long long time (probably several months) and then probably Christmas of '92 or somewhere in '93 (when was the MD2 released?) we got an MD2 with both Sonic 1 and Sonic 2. We played it every weekend (my Mum and Dad were separated and the MD2 resided at my Dad's house) for hours and hours. When Sonic 3 came out we rushed out to buy it ASAP and the same with S&K.

Then, the Saturn came out. We traded our MD2 and all the Sonic games for a Saturn + Sonic JAM (so we didn't lose anything). Then we played those games on the Saturn until the DC. We got the DC in '99 (I believe we traded in the Saturn for it) with Sonic Adventure and bought SA2 on release day. We spent the next few weeks getting all the emblems. Good times.

And that was the end basically... I went to Uni and bought a GC (although no SA2B), the DC stayed at home in a cupboard. I rented Sonic Heroes, played a few levels and returned it disappointed, bought Sonic Rush and completed that, also Shadow the Hedgehog and Unleashed - but got bored of them pretty quick. Sonic was dead.

Then about 6-8 months ago I stumbled across these forums and was reminded of when Sonic was good. So I went onto Ebay and I've restored my collection. I have an MD2 with Sonic 1, 2, 3, S&K and now S4 on my Wii. I've bought SA2B and SA DX on my PC. I'm 26 and I'm suddenly back when I was 7 again :)

So there; an entire childhood ruled by Sonic.

15. CalamityJames

CalamityJames

Toot Toot Sonic Warrior Member
    Tunbridge Wells, Kent
    Paying customs charges from Japan ¬_¬
    My first play was probably a baptism of fire, I was at my gran's house, circa 1991 and by co-incidence my favourite cousin was there with his brand new Sega Mega Drive and copies of Mega Games I and Sonic 1 (it seems quite a few people here had cool cousins with Mega Drives!).

The first attempt I ever got on Sonic 1 was when my cousin thrust me the controller in the middle of Labyrinth Zone, Act 1 after having trouble getting through it. He then did one of the meanest things anyone's ever done to me: told me the Shield made it possible to breathe underwater. I've never felt fear like the fear that rippled through my body when the countdown and music popped up! :(

...but I've been hooked ever since! :D

16. Eviltaco64

Eviltaco64

Hopelessly Lost in Aisle 5 Member
    I started with Sonic 1, 2, and 3. All the Genesis stuff I used to own were my older siblings, so by the time I was 3 (1996) I was playing them all.

17. Bryn2k

Bryn2k

Still a thing. Oldbie
    I was 3 in 1991, but my brother (who was 14 at the time) had a Mega Drive and Sonic 1 when it came out. I can remember the wrecking ball even from that young age (before that I had to make do with watching him own SMB1 and 3 with the NES Advantage)...

I also remember going with my brother to get Sonic 2 in 1992... ISTR it cost us £39.99 from the Swoppers Store on Darwen Street in Blackburn. And people moan games are expensive today - 40 quid back then is like 60-65 now.

Ahhh great memories.

18. Mainman

Mainman

Dancing to some sort of Apocalyptic Rave Member
    Scotland
    'Sonic the Comic' research & documentation
    My first encounter with the franchise was definitely Sonic 1; a teenage neighbour agreed to babysit myself and my brother one day, and he distracted us with a Mega Drive containing Sonic 1. A few years later, a friend called Cameron invited me to his house, and he had Sonic 1 too, though he insisted on playing Golden Axe whenever I came over. Years later still, I ended up at an after-school club (since both of my parents had jobs), and one kid called Hadi managed to arrange an agreement with the staff to bring in his Mega Drive once per month, but only as long as the games weren't offensive (reducing the selection to Micro Machines and Sonic 1). I didn't see anything beyond the Spring Yard Zone until Sonic Gems Collection was released on the Gamecube, when I finally filled in my history on the franchise. With the exception of the Rivals games, I have bought all the games in the franchise ever since.

19. DrHertz

DrHertz

I Live in Your Eyes Member
    Worthing
    Thinking
    I got my first Megadrive with Sonic 1 for my fourth birthday (I think... Could have been fifth *shrugs*) and I remember clearly the first time I played it. I loved Sonic for some reason and my older brother suggested to my mother that they should get it for me... I'm real glad they did!
    I then bought Sonic 2 (from Woolworths, lulz )a few weeks later with birthday money; though it wasn't until I got my Sega Saturn until I played 3 and S&K...

20. I started with Sonic 2. It came with the Genesis I got for Christmas of 1994. I beat the game around April/May '95 and moved on to Sonic 3....finished it in about a month and got S&K (which took me a lot longer to complete). Then I got Sonic 1 for my 10th birthday (November 25, 1995).

Good times man.....good times

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.