don't click here

Who here started with Sonic 1, honestly.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Diablohead, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeiku

Jeiku

I actually have that game. It wasn't my first exposure to Sonic, but it was the first time I ever played Sonic 1. I immediately knew that the sound was fucked up since the ring, spring, and spin noises sounded nothing like they did in previous games I played. I also noticed that Vectorman looked and sounded completely abysmal compared to the version I played on the PC version of Sega Smash Pack.

Believe it or not, the actual Sonic 1 game plays totally fine on the DC version, but all of the other games suffer from terrible emulation issues. What an awful compilation. Good thing I only spent $5 or so on it.

2. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    I started with playing Sonic 1... hacks. Not sure which exactly, but I'm pretty sure it was a Sonic 1 hack.?

3. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    I started with Sonic 1 on the Master System first myself when I was little. I also still remember going to a friends house and playing on Sonic 1 MD; I think I remember being awestruck with how much better the graphics were on there [obviously] - since I hadn't got a MD.

For *ages* afterwards, I always used to think the Master System came before the MD [so with Sonic 1 MS & MD] - I guess probably because I had the MS version first, and because I'd naturally thought "better graphics = newer system"; obviously I was corrected when I got older.

I'm not sure though if playing on my friend's S1 MD was the reason I first wanted to play on Sonic, or if both games together got me hooked on him, but I do remember having the MS version of Sonic for a long time before the rest of them, anyway.

4. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Bonkers isn't the word. How the fuck could Sega go to THAT after they had C code for Sonic Jam?!

5. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    It's probably because they've got only a few games in Sonic Jam -- many fewer than in Smash Pack. Also, only Sonic 1 and 2 are in the set as well.

It would have required them to have recoded ALL the games to do it like Sonic Jam did, though I don't feel this was an optimal solution that they chose. Why they couldn't have done it like the Sega PC releases of S&K Collection and Sonic CD and just store most FM samples as some form of PCM audio is a bit beyond me.

6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Well, my point was they could have used the Jam code for those 2. =P

But yes, you're right @ PCM samples. This title was a rush-job cashgrab - dare I say one of Sega's first.

7. I actually started with the Sonic 1 TIGER hand held piece of junk, but holy crap did I love it. And when my neighbor got a Genesis, I was over there everyday to play the real thing.

Then I got a GameGear with Sonic 2. That was really the first first Sonic game I owned. It was a year or two before I got my own Genesis with Sonic 2 included.

8. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    I started with Sonic 1, but not back in 1991. I did not get my Genesis 1 with Sonic 1 until June 1993. It was my 6th birthday. I got Sonic 2 from my dad in the winter of the next year and my grandma's sister followed with Sonic Spinball. Sonic 3 came when I was 9 in June and I got Sonic 3D Blast that December.

Sonic & Knuckles waited until I was 12.

So it pretty much just had to do with the order my family decided to buy me the games. I was a couple years behind each release with the exception of Sonic Spinball and Sonic 3D Blast.

I have fond memories of Sonic 1. Opening the box and already knowing the level select code, listening to Sound Test just for fun and spending hours and hours playing through the game, taking different paths.

I knew how to complete Sonic 1 without using the cheats long before I got Sonic 2. I even remember annoying my grandma and making her dizzy by finding sequences that had no end, such as the waterfall in Labyrinth Zone act 3, the spinning wheels in Scrap Brain zone act 2, and the two spring boards facing each other in one of the acts of Star Light Zone, and then telling her to look at them.

9. I started with Sonic the Hedgehog with a MegaDrive II. It was my first game (not the first I ever played). Now with 17, I miss those great old times...

10. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Mmmmmmmmmm I started with Sonic 1 in 1996 I think... here in Uruguay Tec Toy bring Sonic and a lot of Sega shit to the market really late, but as consoles here were ALWAYS late (I only saw 2 ps3, 3 xbox360 and 2 wii's in my whole life as an example xD) , I remember playing an Euro...or maybe Japanese Sonic 1 in a pirate Mega Drive 1... I don't remember how it was called... but at least the game was original...

And then, a friend from the neighborhood told me that she had a Mega Drive III (The one from Brazil, a model that looks like the North American Sega Genesis 2, with black buttons and red power led, also it got a NTSC-Pal switch I think) and we played a lot with Sonic 2 and a Sonic 3 argentinianpirate without battery... later, I bought my Japanese Mega Drive II (I love this model), and I bought a pirate Sonic & Knuckles without lockon...It was Sooooo awesome when I got to doomsday... I was just "OMGWTF!!!" ... Later my friend bought a pirate Sonic 3D Blast without the Sega and Traveler Tales logos... It was cool, because "OMG ITS 3D!" ... later on, I got a Sonic 6 pirate cart (Yeah, that hack of Super Mario Bros with a Sonic Jam screen and Sonic sprites), and in the 2000, I Imported a new Dreamcast with a original Sonic Adventure 1... This was just awesome of course... and then I got Sonic Shuffle, and Sonic Adv 2... and finally I friend gave me a copy of Sonic Heroes for PC.

11. KMMouse

KMMouse

UK
    Cinos - Battle of the Order Gems
    I think I actually started with Sonic 1 not long after the European release. I vaguely remember renting a Megadrive from a local rental store and playing the game to death for the 3 days we had it for.

I only have the vague memory because I was something like 4 at the time. God, I'm starting to feel old.

12. My first experience with Sonic was not as a video game character, but as a cartoon character. My memory is hazy (age 3 or so?), but my father and I would have breakfast at a local chain of Denny's-esque restaurants, and SatAM would be playing. I managed to describe the character well enough to my mom that she made me a pretty cool outfit, complete with red fabric lettering that read, "Fastest Thing Alive!" This was before our family had the Internet, so she had to rely exclusively on my description, and I think it turned out pretty well. Wonder if I still have it...

The only memory I have of the actual show involved using a power ring to create a hole in a waterfall. Thus, despite not really playing video games in general until a friend introduced me to Super Mario Land (that's the Game Boy one, not the NES one), I do remember a few demos of Sonic 1 and Sonic 2, and two zones stick out in my memory: GHZ (specifically the section under the waterfall in Act 3, likely due to the only memory I have of SatAM), and Chemical Plant. This is why I still have a whole lot more nostalgia for CPZ than any other Sonic zone, since it fit very well into the technologically edgy version of Sonic I was used to.

We later purchased some VHS tapes of both AoStH and SatAM from a bargin bin (at which point it dawned on me that there were two shows), neither of which had content I remembered.

So to answer the question, my first game our family owned was Adventure 2 Battle. Yeah, yeah, I know. I'm not a Sega fan, I'm a Nintendo fan. But that led to a revival in my childhood hero who had received quite an "update" since I last saw him. I think my first Sonic game I bought myself was the GCN version of SADX. I eventually shelled out for Mega Collection, and even completed Sonic 3 without debug mode.

13. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie
    Hell yea I started out with sonic one...probably 5 or 6 years old...extremely terrible at it...yea....I remember.....

14. Sonic 1 was my first video game too. I used to go over to my friends house once a week to be looked after when I was about 4 and we played megadrive all day. I used to think that you got more rings by running into bad guys lol. I could never beat the first robotnik. It took me till I was about 7 to get my own megadrive which I got sonic 1, sonic 2, tailspin and nba jam with from a cash converters store. Good times XD

15. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    I'm sure I played it at one of my neighbours' houses when I was about 5. My brother's friend, Angus Macleod (try and think of a more Scottish name than that, I dare ya!) had it too, and I remember playing it at his house, too. They used to play the rolling demos from the game in a local TV shop, and I became obsessed with standing outside and watching it. When we got a Mega Drive, a year or so later, it came with Sonic 1, 2, Streets of Rage 2 and Mega Games. Couldn't really say which one I completed first.

16. Vendettagainst

Vendettagainst

Apparently shooting kills things Member
    My first was either Sonic 1 on the Model 1 Genesis we had or Sonic CD which came with our computer. I think it was the Dino library one.

17. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    I one of the honest people that started with Sonic 1 on the Genesis. I always get stuck on the act 3 of the Labyrinth Zone, since getting through the rising water boss is as hard as fuck. My dad also figured out the level select code for me, and I don't know how he did it considering that the last console he ever played on is the Atari.

18. jawn.sith

jawn.sith

I started with a ROM of Sonic 2 on September 11th, 2001, and I proudly admit it. Maybe that's why I've never liked Sonic 1 as much, because I was more used to Sonic 2 and spoiled by the spin dash. :psyduck:

19. McSnapple

McSnapple

A Misereable Little Pile of Secrets Banned
    Trying to win Blue Sphere...all 100,000,000 + levels...
    Well, my story makes me pity myself, but at least I saw the shining light at the end.

So one day I was happily playing my N64 (Super Mario 64 or SSB, can't remember) in my upstairs loft at the age of 7. I was called downstairs b/c my father had brought home a new gadget. My family all gathered in the family room and I layed my eyes upon the Sega Dreamcast. At first I wasn't impressed b/c I was a proud N64 owner, but when we plugged the console in, my father pulled out a game from the bag. Sonic Adventure.

Sadly, my first Sonic game was Sonic Adventure to my dismay. I can't say I hate it, that game made me obsessed with that little blue devil even though my first line when I played the game was, "I WANNA PLAY AS THAT ROBOT!". Looking back now I feel silly liking that game so much, but since then I have become a 90% oldschool Sonic fan with my first being Sonic 1 for the Genesis/Megadrive via ROM (not phased).

Sadly, Sonic 1 was not my first, but I eventually came to my senses and shifted to oldschool around 2003.

20. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    If you played Mario 64 before any of the 3D sonic games you are a brave man to be a sonic fan today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.