don't click here

THE KEN PENDERS CHRONICLES: a man you Ken DePenders on

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The KKM, Jul 7, 2010.

1. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I love that. I consider The Lost Ones to be totally on par with The Terminator, obviously. :v:

It has gone beyond words to describe how utterly egotistical this man is and I really hope he fails for that reason alone. :colbert:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    <@Overlord> Our Penders
    <@Overlord> Who art in Archie
    <@Overlord> Hallowed be thy storylines
    <@Overlord> Thy echidnas come
    <Lobotomy> LOL
    <@Overlord> Thy story done
    <@Overlord> On Mobius as it is in Earth
    <@Overlord> Give us this day our daily soap opera
    <@Overlord> And lead us not into action
    <Lobotomy> ol stop
    <Lobotomy> I'm crying
    <@Overlord> But deliver us from plot
    <@Overlord> For thine is the copyright
    <@Overlord> The characters and the story
    <@Overlord> Forever and ever
    <@Overlord> Our Ken
    * @Overlord runs

And now it's revealed his flagship "original ideas" are full of other people's material. Great job, Penders.

3. It's as I always say: any moron can write a story, but it takes a special breed of moron to rip somebody else's story off.

4. Metalsonicmk72

Metalsonicmk72

[​IMG]

Makes me wonder why nobody at Archie or SEGA brings in any of the comics in question to show this disclaimer present in all 32 KtE issues, or why Penders never complained about the disclaimers upon every issue released for the comics that depict any of "his characters or plot". I'm guessing simply doing that would be too straightforward for the American Justice System.

5. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    Bloody hell Overlord, that made me laugh WAY more than it probably should have done =P

This whole situation with Penders is a complete joke. He has an oversized ego and is a total hypocrite to boot. How can a hundred Recolour the Echidnas constitute "original characters" for Christ's sake? He's banging on about his alleged ownership and copyright of these characters and then has the nerve to steal music and backgrounds for his (frankly atrocious) Lost Ones trailer, as well as naming his studio after SEGA's Floating Island. Classy!

6. Falk

Falk

7. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    What's most hilarious about The Lost Ones is that Penders' comic isn't even the first thing to come up on Google.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Ones_(comics)

A webcomic from 2008 made for Zune... ZUNE OF ALL THINGS... beat out the first mention of Penders' :v:

8. Tylinos

Tylinos

hahaha oh man

So, BobR replied regarding The Lost Ones trailer.

This would be a good point if not for one thing. They're only legal if used in instances such as the crew having them privately in a temporary setting in a "We'll use something like this later," kind of thing. In other words, when not put on public display such as in a publically available trailer for the purpose of promoting the film.

And even if it wasn't illegal, it still "shows he doesn't respect creator rights," of the original composer and map designer, as Ken would put it.

He does have a point here, though. Though it's more convenient for quick linking than using the freaking Quicktime player on the Floating Island Productions site. What is this, 1999?

Oh, but that's not all.

That's a rather nice thing to say. Let's see how he tries to correct us anyway, though.

Well, I guess he has a point.

Oh wait. He doesn't. Let's turn to an old friend, Copley Hill Zone, for a quote from US Copyright Law:

Oops.

EDIT: Freaking post made the copyright law link invisible. Fixed it.

9. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

I may just be stupid, but I don't see anything in this section pertaining to character design. I see instances of copyright protection pertaining to particular instances and descriptions of the character, but nothing pertaining to the creation of original characters based on the art style of another. I feel like that would be too difficult to defend or challenge in most cases. It's obvious that he's jacking Sega's original style, but I didn't see anything in that passage that made it illegal.

But maybe I'm just totally missing the point. It's happened before :P

10. Tylinos

Tylinos

Actually, problem's mostly that I left out some of the context. The issue here wasn't actually about the general style of character design being infringing, though I think that's what started the discussion. It was that Bob had made multiple posts stating that it was impossible to copyright the actual design of a specific character. This was untrue.

11. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

Makes a bit more sense, thanks :)

12. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    Did you tell him this?

What do they do when someone completely proves them wrong in these arguments? Ban them?

I mean, I'm sure they've been proven wrong a million times before, seeing as how delusional they are.

13. Retroman

Retroman

Sonic: "No Copyright law can stop ME!"

14. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    Oh, my God, this is hilarious. I wasn't expecting Ken to make the next Limbo of the Lost, except not in the form of a terrible adventure game.

15. Tylinos

Tylinos

[quotename='Joshua Paul of Collen IP, regarding the Ken case']...at a mediation session held yesterday [29 November], the parties reached agreement on the terms of settlement. The principals and counsel have signed a Term Sheet reflecting the core terms of settlement. As a next step, the parties must prepare and sign a settlement agreement that will implement the outline of settlement contained in the Term Sheet. We anticipate that the process may take several weeks.[/quote]
    So, a settlement has been reached. Not really surprising, since all sides have been tired of this whole thing for a long time now and just want it over. Assuming this still holds, both sides win and lose a little. (Just a reminder so we don't have people going "OH NO KEN WON" or "LOOKS LIKE KEN GAVE UP". Both sides win in a settlement.) It's hard to tell exactly what would be won or lost for either side in this. Best guesses would be that both sides get certain use of characters and stuff.

Before anyone starts bringing up the whole Rob o' the Hedge thing, please keep in mind that not only was that before this settlement, but also that characters Ken seems to care about much more than him (Lien-Da, Remington, Lara-Le, the Dark Legion) appeared in #243, which came out after the Rob thing happened. Also, since the settlement terms were reached relatively quickly (the 29th was the scheduled mediation date, so this happened in just one day), it's unlikely that there were any major terms reached that would've been problematic for ongoing stories (like Lien-Da suddenly vanishing from the scene in Endangered Species), or completely ridiculous (like Ken still claiming he owned Evil Sonic), because Archie wouldn't have likely budged quickly there. Plus, he said that core terms were reached, not exact terms yet. That's kind of important.

16. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Hopefully all he gets is a small paycheck and a license to use some of Archie's characters.

17. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    They'd have to be the characters in name only, since they have heavy resemblance to Sonic Team characters.

18. don't mean to bump an old topic, but what's the Rob O' The Hedge thing? I read all 36 pages of this thread in the past two days and came up with nothin mentioning it.

19. Thousand Pancake

Thousand Pancake

Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the m Member
    (in the universe)

20. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    If you are asking who Rob 'O the Hedge is he is Amy's cousin and King of Mercia. Furthur reading here.

If you are asking where he's been Ian cut him out of the recent story where the Chaotix go to Mercia looking for Mighty just to play safe.