don't click here

Summer of Sonic 2012

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Overlord, Apr 9, 2012.

1. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    Last year, we all left Summer of Sonic asking how the 2012 event could possibly top what we'd just experienced. At least some of the discussion was centred around the idea that it just couldn't be done.

lol @ us.

Every year, Summer of Sonic improves. The team gets more experienced and the official support from Sega gets more impressive. That this year maintained that level of improvement given the obstacles in the way is quite something. Event organisation is my profession and the relocation after the issues that the Hove Centre had are amongst our top worries. While I've moaned about aspects of past events, I've done so out of a genuine desire to see the event improve and the team has never let me down. Every concern I've had from past events has been addressed. Demo pods were increased from last year (which already had more than 2010). The policy for the signing desk was a massive improvement. However, with the increasing professionalism of SoS comes the odd change. The official Sonic merchandise store ran this year's merch desk and while the abundance of DVDs and such was cool, I did miss the harder to acquire items from previous years - old Fleetway comics, the odd game, you know the stuff. That slight feeling of being jumble sale wasn't present this year.

The offering this year was still staggering, as always. Beyond cool things that have previously been done such as Crush 40 and the cosplay contest (for which the prizes are pretty nuts), I'm a big fan of the new stuff like Jam with Jun and the unfortunately cancelled art workshops with Nigel Dobbyn and Nigel Kitching. Additional fan interaction is really cool and to be encouraged at all times. The goody bag was also nuts. A free game for every attendee? Holy shit. While my own show floor experience was punctuated by bouts of running away to do interviews (not that I'm complaining!), it's also great to get the opportunity to see friends from the wider community. I had a blast!

In fact, beyond the crazy food prices in the venue - which weren't set by SoS in the first place - I only have one gripe. After such an excellent event, I just wish more people had been able to go to it. Ticket-only entry undoubtedly improved the event this year, with the hard limit on numbers allowing for much more accurate planning and seemingly quicker entry. However, the event is ridiculously popular and ticketing created some level of ill will. Members of our usual group just couldn't make it because of the system, which really sucks. I'd like more people to be able to attend next year, and if cost is a barrier to that I would be happy to pay for entry.

Summer of Sonic 2012 was incredible and we have more coverage to come from the event. Please keep checking the front page over the coming days!

2. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    I'm gonna echo everyone else and say that SoS was just awesome this year.

At first I was a bit nervous about the venue as it seemed really small - until I saw that there was an upstairs area as well, which I think was a really good idea (although the screens upstairs showing the livestream really could have done with having speakers so that the upstairs area didn't feel isolated from the main area). Really liked the venue all-in-all, I think it's one of the better ones we've had. Everything this year seemed to be much more organised this year, most notably the signings. Overlord, Orenge and I got stuff signed by Crush 40, the guys from Sumo, and Iizuka. The combined queuing time for all three was less than an hour; which, when you consider we had to wait for 3 HOURS just to see Naka and Iizuka last year, is pretty damn impressive! The fact that the venue was air-conditioned was a nice touch, it's the only SoS I've been to where I've not been uncomfortably warm all day!

Really enjoyed playing Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, it seems like a huge improvement over the original (which I'm a huge fan of). For some reason I'm really shit at using PS3 controllers so I struggled with it a little bit because of that - which is literally the only issue I had, the game itself is spot-on =P Can't wait to try out the XBox version.

I enjoyed the new Jam With Jun section, as Nik said it's nice to get the fans involved like that. I know I've already said it, but: Psy, your performance with Jun was amazing, and I'm really pleased that you managed to get that opportunity :)

Crush 40's performance was really good, I thought it was cool that some of their non-Sonic stuff was played as well as the usual favourites like Open Your Heart and Live & Learn (both of which I sang along to, couldn't resist it =P).

Everything was just awesome; even the freebies this year were the best we've ever had (a free game and some seaside rock? Yes please ;P). Its certainly one of the most amazing SoS's ever.

3. KusanagiShiro

KusanagiShiro

Longtime Sonic Fan Member
    San Rafael, California
    None at the moment, sadly...not skilled enough yet!
    CRAPOLA! Not only did I miss SoS...AGAIN...I can't even afford the travel.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Question: Did Iizuka answer any interesting questions? One site I read mentioned that he said he likes Omochao, hates Big and wants to keep him retired, and that Super Tails is not coming back under his authority (Damn shame). Any other revealing tidbits?

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Those are about the only questions I recall from the interview other than the one-eye'd Shadow I mentioned in my front page post & his view on how the franchise's quality recovery happened. It was quite difficult to hear from where we were.

6. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!

Hey guys, here's the final edit of the Metal Harbour video, complete with audio from the direct feed. =P
    You won't find a better quality video elsewhere. Though I wouldn't mind being proved wrong. =P

7. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    It's that time now. I'm going to do things a little different this time around and instead post a link to my Summer of Sonic Summary [Here]. I really enjoyed writing that summary. To the point that it ended being a bit on the lengthy side. It's mainly for my own record really but you're more than welcome to read it if you like. I'm sure you'll find parts of the summary amusing if you do =P

And now for the usual sample pictures I took of Summer of Sonic and the Sonic Retro UK Barcade Run.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here we are, Brighton. Home to this years Summer of Sonic. And here to keep things classy, it's the Sonic Retro UK crew.

[​IMG]
    Taken when we were doing the Barcade Run in London the day after Summer of Sonic. As I mentioned in the summary, it seems the old London Trocadero (where SEGAWorld use to be years ago) is looking more lively now. More pictures to prove the point - [Picture 1] [Picture 2] and [The Still Unreachable Cave of Wonders].

[​IMG]
    Like Brighton, it was pissing it down in London. Making relaxing spots like these for the summer pointless. Not a problem for hipsters maybe because you know, they like doing things different from most people.

[​IMG]
    Better stock up on the French wine because guess what? France is closing down!

[​IMG]
    As I mentioned in the summary, you suddenly feel so British when walking around London. Sonic doesn't approve of that Zone by the way.

[​IMG]
    Assagetti anyone? It's not as bad as it sounds if you try not to think about it.

Like I said in the summary, I had amazing time at this years Summer of Sonic and at the Sonic Retro UK Barcade Run the day after. I took loads of pictures of both the events. I just want to thank Dreadknux, T-Bird, and all the staff that worked hard in making this years Summer of Sonic possible. You lot went above and beyond when you had to make some last minute changes to the venue and rearrange where everything was going to go on the day. In a way, it surpasses anything you've done in the past at Summer of Sonic. Well done. As for the Sonic Retro crew, you are what makes those Barcade Runs a real blast. Cheers!

It was great seeing everyone again (Overlord, Cinossu, NiktheGreek, Nova, PsychoSk8r & Carly, Kiajinn, Concorde, DarkNoise, Kevintheman, Stiv, Dreadknux etc.) including some of the newer faces (HHog & his girlfriend, etc.). I hope to see you all again. Either during one of our Retro UK Barcade Runs or at the next Summer of Sonic!

-----------------------
    Picture Album
    -----------------------

For those of you who want to see all (100+) pictures I took of Summer of Sonic 2012 (including the originals), you check it out in the public album I linked below:

Orengefox's SoS2012 Album - [Link]

And now I leave you with this...

[​IMG]

Most of you from Sonic Retro who went to Summer of Sonic this year will get this straight away. As for the rest of you, just look up Iizuka-sans latest craze. Hint: Prometheus =P

8. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    That meme image XD

I completely forgot about the Controlled Drinking Zone image =P

9. H Hog

H Hog

The Ultimate Oswald! Oldbie
    Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    Sonic and the Rings of Order (Artwork)
    Bit late reply, but... Newer face? This was my 4th SoS so far, and Steph's 3rd. ;P