don't click here

Summer of Sonic 2012

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Overlord, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    It is frustrating when it seems that people are misled about some details about the event this year (such as the venue) but then they announce Crush 40 which entices more people to try for a ticket. I'm not blaming the SoS staff about the venue but they have some new challenges this year, needless to say.

The "ticket only" system will work but it will just disappoint a lot of people who will miss out this year. At least it'll push SoS staff to go for a bigger venue next time, continuing on with the promise of air con.

And before anyone asks, I'm not going.

2. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    This is why Retroers should just go for the pub hopping. The Sonic part is just extra icing.

3. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.

4. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    In other words, there seems to have been a squabble with the venue (likely over money and accommodations) so they had to downgrade the venue.

Ouch.

5. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Maybe it has to do with SEGA's recent money troubles.

6. X-Crim

X-Crim

YU3 Member
    When I will have money...I have to go one year xD

Shit, I start page, wait for a mini dump (laugh)

[​IMG]

End of the dump

7. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    http://www.summerofsonic.com/news/tickets-wave-2-to-dash-out-25-may

The next wave will be out on May 25th, with a final wave after it so attendance can be at the maximum.

8. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    .. oh great, a Friday. It just so happens 6pm is my work leaving time. Joy of joys, it better not be delayed this time. :|

9. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    Yup, this time fucks me too. If I don't stay at work until the ticket release I'll be caught short on my way home.

10. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Why not arrange for a mutual third party to bulk buy tickets with the agreement you'll send money to them? Not quite as simple and clean an operation, but certainly less stressful.

11. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    The group max will be 2 people this wave and most likely the next.

12. This should have been mentioned, and the case since the beginning. I understand children go with family and friends and such but the issue with the first wave of tickets seemed to me that everyone that applied put 4 tickets down regardless of how many are going "just to cover themselves".

There's probably, being realistic, no solution to this problem. If it's a free event, do you expect each ticket holder to have an individual ticket for themselves, two for themselves and a guardian / friend or four for a family to go or 2 children, 1 guardian/parent.

As much as it would annoy casual markets and such; I believe Dreadknux and other organisers COULD get away with simply charging as little as under £10. And for an event that's once a year and exclusive ect. it would not only help fund the process but also ensure commitment to attending and not simply "sitting" on tickets.

If it's between £5~10, I wouldn't mind. It's one hour's worth of work, doesn't break the bank. There are benefits to this.

13. Nova

Nova

On the paying for SoS, I've always told Svend in exchanges I've had with him that I would not mind paying up to £20 for entry but then, I think that defeats one of the reasons he loves doing it so much.

In other news, I may have just secured myself a place. Here's hoping. :v:

14. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    Sold out again! :V

No, I didn't get a ticket. And no, it's not looking likely I will. Looks like I'll be chairing the committee for the Retro Summer Holiday in Brighton! :3

EDIT: Apparently 200 tickets gone in less than a minute. And it's such a shame. I really wanted to see you guys!

15. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    This is actually more brutal than the competition for major festival tickets at this point. I'm ticketed up now, mind.

16. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Nigga you know we're all doing Sunday no matter what, right? =P And possibly any after-event/before-event things, depending on how those pan out, we'll have to wait for details on those.

17. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    Yeah, there's no point in going on Sunday if I can't get into the main event. The travel's too much and I still have a job

18. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Wonder how many of those tickets have gotten thrown up on StubHub like services by now. I can see some profiteering going on with these due to their demand.

Silly how this whole thing was planned out this year.

19. So uh, I thought the tickets went out tomorrow and not yesterday. GG.

Looks like this'll be the first SoS I've missed since '09. Guess the whole event's just got so huge that some older attending fan's can't attend. The whole competitiveness was never what I imagined the ticket system to work out. And when you have friends local to yourself that managed to pull tickets to this year's event all I can do is say "Well, I went for the last 3 years, and because it's so popular now, I can't go."

Oh well. Have fun folks. I may try on the third wave, but I'll echo my opinions of a previous post; this should have been handled better, not selling out in under a minute, and simply charged for to prevent any kind of possible ticket camping going on.

20. Nova

Nova

Narstyle you better get in on the third wave! :shakefist:

In other news, place secured. :D