don't click here

Spoiler-free Sonic Mania discussion thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Overlord, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    [​IMG]

What.

2. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Perhaps I spoke too soon. Impromptu announcements like this seem... worrisome.

3. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Hmm. So important news (according to Gene) from Sega tomorrow at 8am PST which converts to 4pm BST UK time. Christ wonder what they could possibly be announcing this close to release? It's obviously not a delay given review code is out and some members of the public have the game so what could it be?

At a guess I'd say it's release timing info for the various platforms. "Important" however like TheKazeBlade said does have me a little worried too.

4. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I'm expecting some kind of sanction announcement, but my pipe dream is that Aaron says something along the lines of "Well, it got leaked, and since it's out there now, we're moving the release date forward for the rest of you."
    I'm well aware I have no idea how this stuff works and it would be a logistical flustercuck but I can dream, damnit! //forums.sonicretro.org/public/style_emoticons/default/argh.gif
    Anyway, regarding the opening intro, for those wondering, two returning Zones can be identified rather easily at a certain point while one more is harder to figure out, so I'm guessing it's one of the new ones we haven't seen. Either way, I'd suggest staying away. I said it before watching the intro, but I really don't want to know any more at this point.

5. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Dang it, someone on Reddit spoiled something for me. >_> I'm still not looking in the other topic regardless. I'm a bit worried about the news they'll be talking about tomorrow...

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya, the wording has me worried too. A last minute delay for what seems like reverse leaker punishment would be devastating. Could they bump the release forward? They released the intro early and they said that was coming out the day before, so could that imply something?

7. Sean Evans

Sean Evans

Professional Dork Member
    Earth
    Sonic Overture, Sonic Utopia
    If what Kazeblade says is true, then perhaps it's regarding the CEs, or possibly just the Switch CEs.

8. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Yeah this close to release is unprecedented, even for Sega. This never happens in the games industry. It's either:

- Release timing info for the various platforms hence why Steam was holding out on providing a definite answer
    - As Starduster said - Sega are responding to the leak apocalypse by bringing the release date forward - though this might be a pipe-dream
    - Something negative and worrisome because the leak has fucked up everything like a last minute delay

It is worrying however because shit like this doesn't happen this close to release. Perhaps the leak had repercussions? This strikes me like Sega had a reactive emergency meeting, decided on something firm and now there's last minute news to come out of it tomorrow.

Seriously hope it's nothing negative. :(

Hmm. You may be on to something here. That early upload of the intro could mean they're just shifting everything around and potentially planning on an early release. Perhaps they're worried about sales so really are bringing the release forward as last minute damage control?

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So how could the leak of the complete game delay the game 4 days in advance? It's not like Sega has never seen a Sonic game leal. We got Sonic Advance 3 early and Sonic 4 Ep 1/2 early (hell I got Ep 2 early), what's different now?

10. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Yeah it's highly unlikely. I was just brain storming potential possibilities and listing everything that was coming to mind. An actual last minute delay would fuck up the game's potential sales and piss off their fanbase and they'd know that. Plus all the arrangements and agreements are already firm and in place with the platform holders/Steam and so on and probably can't be changed at this point plus the review embargo for Monday so it's extremely unlikely there'll be a delay.

Thinking about it a little more it could be an early release. Either that or we're all over-reacting and it's just release timing info.

11. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    There's always some new suspense with this game, Jesus.

12. Linkabel

Linkabel

I don't think they'll decide to move the release date early for people. Or delay it.

Maybe it's video/streaming guidelines a la Persona 5 for the people that got it early. Or contest announcements like they did for Sonic CD.

13. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Don't forget option D: something related to shipping or availability of CE pre-orders.

14. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    I don't feel like any of those would need a stream to be announced though. This was also posted by Aaron's regular twitter and not the Sonic one. Gene chiming in like that is really what's making everyone gulp a bit.

I doubt it's a reveal, I doubt it's a delay, I doubt it's a push forward... what does this mean aaaaaaa

15. Turbohog

Turbohog

Physical release? (Probably not)

16. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    About that....that's a different story for a different day ;)

Since I read here that a video was posted on the official YouTube channel, I allowed myself to see it. I'm not disappointed in it nor myself as I didn't consider what was shown as major spoilers. Hopefully this craziness means an early release so we can play it this weekend! I know the CE folks would be pissed though.

17. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Guys. I know what the news is. They're announcing Stealth's birthday! (it really is his birthday today :v:)

Being serious looking forward to whatever gets announced at 4pm (8am PST). Just hope it's something positive and not negative as we've speculated. If we're placing bets I'm still going with release timing news i.e. this releases at X hour on Steam along with the other platforms.

An early release however unlikely that may be would be wonderful but honestly don't think it's possible.

18. SuperSonicRider

SuperSonicRider

Early release isn't happening; check Aaron's Twitter. I'm kinda expecting some sort of transparent statement on the leaks (as in, not the content of them, but that they have been happening) but who knows really. It is unfortunate that this had to happen. Speaking of the intro though, and unannounced zones, it does show a couple, but they're old zones, FWIW. This was something that was planned to be shown before launch anyway so I didn't feel bad about watching it in the end, but if you want to go in with only the info that we know now, don't watch it.

I gotta say I do think the Mania Team has done a great job of not revealing too much info. Like, despite knowing a good amount of the zones, a lot of it still feels so foreign - we don't know about any boss fights except Green Hill and kinda Studiopolis, we only know of two new zones, we've only seen full-level gameplay of 6 acts IIRC? I think everything is still going to be a great surprise. But again, it's unfortunate that some people didn't care about spoiling it. I personally have caught light descriptions of a couple of zones on Twitter completely unintentionally (someone that I follow was watching the stream and Tweeting about it). A lot of you have probably already bailed anyway though :v: just FYI.

(Edited out the link to the Tweet because someone replied to it with a "rumor" of a "screenshot" (the "screenshot" itself isn't actually there) that I'm like 101% sure isn't true, but I wanted to treat it seriously nonetheless)

19. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Just checked his Twitter and didn't see anything? Did the link you removed indicate some new info?

He has like, hundreds of replies and I'm wary of reading through them for fear of spoilers. Which info specifically rules out an early release?

20. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    He just said something like "No, no early release" when someone asked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.