don't click here

Spoiler-free Sonic Mania discussion thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Overlord, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    ~19K owners on Steam. Up from ~17K about 24 hours ago. 15K before that and 12K before that. Sales are steadily increasing. It'll be interesting to observe sales particularly in the game's first week. Sonic CD (Taxman's remaster) reached 350K eventually so hoping Mania will smash 500K and surpass it.

Reviews are also due in about three days and OpenCritic has a countdown here. So that should give us spoiler-free members something to talk about. :v:

2. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    I'm not falling for this possible click bait.... Even if you are legit. Can't wait to see it after a play through though.

I'm starting to become jealous of the other thread, but I'll come back to our next week. I'm going to be 100 pages behind so I've accepted that fact. The struggle is real.

3. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Making a post in this thread because the other thread got spoiler warning'd:

I really want a native 240p mode available in this game on PC. I'm a weird fellow, but I already have a hardware setup that would allow me to exactly replicate the video output of the Genesis on a CRT TV from a PC. I want to be able to take advantage of that with this game, it would be the best use of this hardware since I set it up.

I promise to post a video of me running it on a 240p CRT if this feature is available in the game. :)

4. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    Okay, so opening cinematic is out on the official channel... just gonna say, there is a Zone in there you can spy that hasn't been announced yet. Just as a fair warning.

5. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    The video has nothing in it that was not already known before this past week, so if you have been up to date in that regard, your safe. I'm not going to attempt to get myself banned in a spoiler free thread.

6. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Does anyone know if the TVTropes page is safe? I want to do some more reading up on the game but I'm terrified of unmarked spoilers. As of the sneak peak at the unrevealed Zone in the opening cinematic, I've very much had my fill of reveals.
    Honestly, this whole situation kind of fills me with a sense of loathing. I know it was foolhardy to expect people to not leak stuff but the fact that Nintendo has absolutely no protection against this has just made the wait even more painful for me.

7. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    I've been on the other side, and I must say that, even if I haven't checked the major source of spoilers there, I've already seen more than I should have. Stay away from there, it's an advice from someone that didn't bothered to get some spoilers, and got too spoiled and bothered; there's just too many spoilers there, and too relevant to ignore them.

By the way, it's the final countdown, and we're at 4...
    Drowning in Mania is happening soon.

I've honestly have had problems to fall asleep this last week or so, I'm too impatient to play the game. I had this kind of problem when I was a child with Christmas presents, and I have it when a new job or anything else of a similar importance happens to me as an adult; that makes me wonder which are my priorities. :specialed:

EDIT: Text correcting.

8. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Do we consider it spoilers if the opening animation was planned to be on the official channel anyway, and they just pushed it up 4 days because their hand was forced?

9. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    As one of the dirty, rotten people from the other thread, I can say DON'T watch the opening cutscene if you want to go in not knowing some of the unannounced Zones.

10. Jason

Jason

I have already watched it. I'm just trying to parse what's kosher in this thread, since we were all OK before the leak discussing official media releases.

11. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Seems like a riot in there and rather eerie and quiet in this one. I can see that some of you let temptation get the better of you and have thus regretted it. My advice for everyone would be to stay strong and do what Jesus said and not give in to temptation, lol. It's super, super tempting to just get one's mind blown and see everything but I think the experience of playing a game we've waited twenty years for means it's worth it just to evade the spoilers for the next few days. The game's barely 72 hours and change away after all.

I plan on sticking to this safe haven of a thread just to get updates on Steam release timing and shit like that. Outside of that I've got my spoiler evasion set to maximum.

I think stick to zero spoilers for this thread just to be safe. Overlord made it pretty clear spoilers for the other thread, no spoilers for this one.

12. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I've been avoiding leaks/reveals for much longer than just a few days. Don't spoil it for me please.

I know a total of four zones and had a brief look at a special stage. I also know very little of what content or gimmicks they have.

13. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    Must... not... watch... OPENING... ANIMATION...

Edit: I saw it in the end. :v:

14. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    Yikes, this is difficult. I don't know if I want to go spoiler-free or not, but I'm leaning toward spoiler-free. I've been spoiling games for myself for years now, and I think it'd be fun to have some sort of surprise going through Mania. It'll be easy as soon as Sunday comes around because I have all-day activities until the next Friday night, but this is difficult right now.

15. Jason

Jason

...Then what are we discussing here except how well we can edge at this point?

16. I was among those watching the spoilers from the get-go and thankfully he cut the stream short (probably Iizuka-san showed up at his door with a baseball bat); there seems like a good 50% of the game I haven't seen yet, and what I *did* see ruined surprisingly little. At the same time, there were lots of moments where I was clapping with glee at a callback or a mechanic, and it would have been cooler to discover it while playing. I think I'm gonna try to dodge spoilers from now until I can finally get my hands on it.

17. Sean Evans

Sean Evans

Professional Dork Member
    Earth
    Sonic Overture, Sonic Utopia
    Yeah, almost ruined it for myself and saw the opening. Almost all of the sites I'd like to visit are probably hazardous now. I would look at the opening, since I'm sure the team only wants to show us the least amount of content before the game comes out, but now that it's so close, I just can't.

Dunno if this'll work for anyone else, but I just play other games, particularly lengthy ones. Good way to keep your mind clear of any potential desire to spoil yourself is to sit back and invest time in something else until it that game comes. And I gotta say Hollow Knight's pretty great so far :)

18. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    Yeah, I'm playing Crash right now.

19. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    I saw the opening animation (gee, it was plastered all over Twitter) but didn't see any unannounced zones. Maybe because I watched it on a tiny cellphone screen :specialed:

Nevertheless, I wanted to watch it again, but somehow I got confused searching on YouTube (sleepy as fuck right now) and watched the animation FROM WITHIN THE GAME. Again, no spoilers, but hell, there was a major (obvious, but major) spoiler in the description.

This is too hard. Why on Earth it got leaked? Who's fault is it? I know some retailers started selling the Collector's Edition, and the Switch version isn't time locked, but are these people authors of some kind of crime, or break of contract? Does SEGA care about this?

20. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    From my understanding, one of the CE's were a Switch edition which was not locked. The guy just kept trying until it let the game boot up. He bought it legitimately, so there's no legal problems with his purchasing of and subsequent streaming of the game. I doubt there's even a legal issue with the store that sold it to him either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.