don't click here

Sonic X-treme Textures and Defs

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Professional Electromancer Oldbie
    I've been going through them but I haven't found it yet. I've got little free time ATM and I was wondering if anybody had found it.

2. Lord Kanti

Lord Kanti

This is the greatest Sonic discovery in ages.

This game had so much potential. This would have been so awesome; looks as if it'd be on par with Sonic Adventure.

3. Saturn-exclusive. I always wanted to play the Saturn, but now that most of the more detailed and stunning levels are revealed to have been on the PC, I might not care as much for the Saturn version. Still want it though.

4. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Wasn't that supposed to be some form of Red Sands? Texture-wise, it doesn't look so hard to recreate if it's Saturn only.

5. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Yeah, that glass globe enemy isn't present in this pack, however, there are a TON of old version of both red sands and Jade Gully in this pack with missing textures. Look at Jade Gully v1 for example. It's all missing except for a couple objects. That scene could very well be in one of those maps, but without the textures.

6. hxc

hxc

spotteddove Researcher
    In answer to fisheye on saturn; Point of View (now maker of graphics cards) tried to port ofers engine and got it running at 15fps with no textures or objects iirc. I'll dig up the email quote if I must.

7. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I might be being stupid, but how are people getting the closeup level shots? The best I can manage is directly side on of the level, from a distance. Is there some other button other than udlr that I'm missing? Nothing else is in the readme.

8. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I just use the mouse. I move it ahead to get close, move back to get far, right click to go up and left click to go down =P. To do get close/farther use the Up/Down arrows, to move L/R you can use the LR arrows or the A/D keys, to go Up/Down use W/S. To rotate the field by 90 degrees use Q fpr rotate Left and E to rotate to the right. Pressing "3" will change the textures to black and greens squares with a white BG.

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Thanks, that helps a lot. :)

10. synchronizer

synchronizer

Is SANIK's viewer open source? It would be nice if it was ported to other systems if it was possible. Mac? PPC Mac?. The viewer lags too much on my old pc and the mouse glitches too. I was just wondering if it could be done easily. Otherwise I'll just work with my old Windows 98.

11. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    I remember grabbing these from the Cult ftp some 3-4 years ago. The idea was that Senn privately released whatever he could so fan developers could go and finish the game, one way or another. That's probably how Sanik winded up with it too. IIRC it was just a level viewer though, no gameplay, and from the looks of it gameplay would've been highly nauseous.

What I really want to get, is the build that hxc posted pictures of. Those screenshots came from a Saturn emulator, and were supposedly running from a found-in-the-attic copy from one of the devs, from the very last Saturn version they were building (post the fisheye and the boss engine). I don't remember which developer was it, hxc probably knows better, I remember he said that those screenshots were the only things he got from the guy, and that it probably wont be released.

edit: this one.
    http://forums.x-cult.org/topic/2082-presenting/

12. Kiroziki

Kiroziki

Incase no one has noticed I believe one of the PC version levels is missing, which is New Worlds I think (That purple level which said Saturn on the start of the video, it was previously unreleased until some idiot released it.....) Unless someones found it?

And Borisz, was one of the screenshots this for example?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    What is that.

14. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    That one is a hoax. The font is not monospaced, and the sonic model is that Saturn model from the Saturn 3d model viewer, with the vdp1 rendering quirks thinly disguised by photoshop. The model looks completely fucking broken when viewed on a PC as it abuses vdp1 bowtie quads.

15. Kiroziki

Kiroziki

Sorry my bad, thats one thing I never understood, didn't they use a 2D Sonic instead of a model to create the game quicker if so why then switch to a 3D Sonic.

16. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    The way I understand it:
    First they wanted to do the fisheye thing (2d gameplay with sprites and 3d backgrounds, basically like how Bug! looked), with the 3000$ cd engine used for bosses only. Sega execs didnt like the fisheye thing (and didnt thought it would be possible on the Saturn), but liked the boss engine, so they wanted STI to switch the whole game to that (full 3d environment, with 2d sprites for sonic).
    That one got scrapped too, and they eventually moved to a full 3d engine, which was the point when members started croaking and they got to the point of saying "oh, fuck it".

17. I disagree... I think it wouldn't become a very good game, and if it was indeed released I think it would be much more comparable to 3D Blast: even if the game is fun, the levels and gameplay wouldn't feel Sonic-ish at all.

18. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    The fisheye gameplay we seen so far reminds me more of an arcade game, stick your coin in and get a time limit to grab enough rings to clear given stage, move onto the next, total score tally at the end.

19. SegaLoco

SegaLoco

W)(at did you say? Banned
    I think if anything the Saturn version, if done like that last set that Borisz linked, would have worked. As for the Fisheye, it could have worked as a PC game, but on Saturn, I doubt that many people outside of Sonic fans would have got it. That full 3D version of the game looked awesome though. Also, wasn't there some theory or something that Sonic World from Jam was a really early Adventure engine. That 3D Xtreme looked way better than what they had for Sonic World, if it was far enough along to have a few levels, why not just use that? =P

20. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    It's not really a theory, takashi Iizuka has already said that sonic jam's sonic world went on to become Sonic Adventure. And what are you talking about? Nothing in the x-treme package looks even remotely comparable to sonic team's work. In fact, the x-treme team even tried to get their hands on the nights/sonic jam era engines, but naka being the fabulous xenopobe he is FREAKED out and threatened to leave the company when he found out. It was then taken from them and they had to start over.

Honestly their best chance would have been to build the game from sonic jam, but since that never would have happened, the game was doomed to failure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.